Release Zelda Classic For Pandora

Eniko said:
Yeah I would find a reminder helpful. I forget to set the clockspeed all the time and having to quit out once I realize it and load the game back up is tedious.

And that's exactly what that speed setting in the PXML does.
Provides the user with a suggested speed and asks if he wants to change it or not.
Nothing more.
It does NEVER change the clockspeed automatically (unless the user tells it to do so.)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
God Ginrai said:
EvilDragon said:
Maybe include that speed setting within the PXML, it will be supported from HF4 on :)

Why do you continue to insist that the devs enforce the speed?

I only suggest to ports that don't run fullspeed yet. The speed in the PXML is a suggested speed and the user will be asked if he wants to change it or not.

Why do you continue to insist that people don't want to increase their clockspeed if they know the game is not running fullspeed otherwise?

Because there are a lot of people who are paranoid enough of overclocking that they would rather sacrifice performance than overclock.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
EvilDragon said:
God Ginrai said:
EvilDragon said:
Maybe include that speed setting within the PXML, it will be supported from HF4 on :)

Why do you continue to insist that the devs enforce the speed?

I only suggest to ports that don't run fullspeed yet. The speed in the PXML is a suggested speed and the user will be asked if he wants to change it or not.

Why do you continue to insist that people don't want to increase their clockspeed if they know the game is not running fullspeed otherwise?

Because there are a lot of people who are paranoid enough of overclocking that they would rather sacrifice performance than overclock.

Yeah. And then they say "No, and don't ask again" and that's it.
What's the deal?

Last edited:
God Ginrai said:
And that's why you get a popup asking if you want to overclock or not : you're still allowed to play games in all their slowness :)

I can't get what you do have realy against this

Hitnrun said:
Orion4874 said:
Hey Hitnrun, since you got permission to use the source code could you possibly do a Wiz port? Great job BTW, makes waiting for my Pandora that much harder!

I don't have a wiz neither a caanoo, but it would probably have the same problem of the gp2x version: lack of memory, this thing is a memory hog. To be sure it will run well, it needs ~100mb of free memory.

If someone wants to port it, PM me and I'll talk to DarkNation about it.
Thanks Htnrun, I didn't realize what all this program was. I though it was just an original Zelda clone, nothing more. But, if it's ok with you I'll post this in the Cool Ideas section in the Wiz forums and for anyone interested to throw you a PM.

I for one think programs should have a recommended speed kind of thing. 90%+ of users will want the program to run at the proper speed if it means a modest overclock. Why should the 90% have to tinker with separate settings or ovr's because a few guys are paranoid of any overclock and can't select 'no' on startup. I suspect anyone that paranoid of overclock, assuming they actually exist at all, isn't going to be spending much time playing a game that runs at 80% speed anyway.

Anyway, I found a bug unfortunately. The game kicks back to the menu whenever you try to enter the 4th dungeon in the default quest. Everything had been working fine up until that point.

Orion4874 said:
Thanks Htnrun, I didn't realize what all this program was. I though it was just an original Zelda clone, nothing more. But, if it's ok with you I'll post this in the Cool Ideas section in the Wiz forums and for anyone interested to throw you a PM.

Yes you can do that, but I cannot guarantee that I'll be able to get ZC's approval.

OFF ToPIC:
@ED: Regarding the clock speed setting, I like that programs can take advantage of having the clock speed change if wanted. My question is moreso regarding the background killer. The script that runs asks for a password everytime it is run. This is kinda stupid since you are killing applications to increase performance. I really don't use my Pandora to go online with very much, so why have WiFi running etc.? I guess what I'm saying is that I see your point with having software developers take advantage of clock speed increases where necessary which saves the end user from having to figure out the ideal setting and have to manually change it. Is there anyway to make the background killer script not ask for the password everytime?

ONTOPIC:
I need to check this 4th dungeon thing out now on regular Zelda. Hope there's a fix if its a bug.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
OFF ToPIC:
@ED: Regarding the clock speed setting, I like that programs can take advantage of having the clock speed change if wanted. My question is moreso regarding the background killer. The script that runs asks for a password everytime it is run. This is kinda stupid since you are killing applications to increase performance. I really don't use my Pandora to go online with very much, so why have WiFi running etc.? I guess what I'm saying is that I see your point with having software developers take advantage of clock speed increases where necessary which saves the end user from having to figure out the ideal setting and have to manually change it. Is there anyway to make the background killer script not ask for the password everytime?

I have no idea why you're still using the background killer script. From Hotfix 3 on, most not-used services have been disabled and the rest (like Samba, DropBear, WiFi, etc.) can be enabled or disabled in Settings/Startup...
There is no performance hit anymore, it's mostly related to WiFi scanning, and I usually have WiFi off...

Last edited:
sebt3 said:
God Ginrai said:
And that's why you get a popup asking if you want to overclock or not : you're still allowed to play games in all their slowness :)

Because it's just like a telemarketer or skippable ads on websites. Sure, you can choose not to buy the product and hang up or to click "skip this ad," but it still makes you angry and wasts your time.

-God Ginrai

EvilDragon said:
I have no idea why you're still using the background killer script. From Hotfix 3 on, most not-used services have been disabled and the rest (like Samba, DropBear, WiFi, etc.) can be enabled or disabled in Settings/Startup...
There is no performance hit anymore, it's mostly related to WiFi scanning, and I usually have WiFi off...
I've got wifi disabled on startup, so I'll delete background killer. Didn't know it was resolved with the hotfix.

Thanks for the heads up!

Peace & Pandora,

Link

This is my first time playing zelda classic. It seemed kinda slow... I think I was expecting there to be a frameskip or something. But great work!

Mjlink said:
Just crossed the lake and went into the Level 4 and found myself quickly looking at my XFCE desktop. Bummer.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Paste your /tmp/pndrunzeldaclassic.out if still available.

HackModford said:
This is my first time playing zelda classic. It seemed kinda slow... I think I was expecting there to be a frameskip or something. But great work!
It is kinda slow if you don't overclock.

Hitnrun said:
Mjlink said:
Just crossed the lake and went into the Level 4 and found myself quickly looking at my XFCE desktop. Bummer.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Paste your /tmp/pndrunzeldaclassic.out if still available.
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/cpuspeed': No such file or directory
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
LoopMountedon:
/dev/loop0
Filetype is ISO
sudo mount /dev/loop0
mounting union!
Filesystem is vfat
[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]
Shutting down Allegro due to signal #11
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 31: 1764 Segmentation fault LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/$PND_NAME" "./$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS
[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]
cleanup done

God Ginrai said:
sebt3 said:
God Ginrai said:
Because it's just like a telemarketer or skippable ads on websites. Sure, you can choose not to buy the product and hang up or to click "skip this ad," but it still makes you angry and wasts your time.

And that's exactly why you can select "Don't ask again" as I stated multiple times already.
You don't want to understand that, do you?

Last edited:
YYesss! Zelda Classic!!! Now I'm definitely re-pre-ordering a Pandora!
Might I ask what version this Pandora Port is based off of? ZC2.10?

And could someone possibly make a video out of this? Pretty please
bye2.gif
?
Maybe with a few custom quest like End of Time DX or Isle of the Winds
or maybe 1st Quest Remake

I can't believe it happened, this is so fire!

Back