Release Zelda Classic For Pandora

Hitnrun

Zelda Classic on the Pandora!

whatiszc.gif

Unnoficial port by Hitnrun, with permission from Dark Nation of Zelda Classic.

This is an alpha release, so it wasn't tested too much, test it and post your results on the forum.

This is currently unscaled (so it is small at 320x240), and has no music, but seems to be running very well.

Read the included README.Pandora.txt for a list of observations (and the current weird game keys!).

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,178

Ooooh... it tickles in my fingers, but I'm waiting for a music and scaled version :)
Zelda needs to be played with music :D

But thanks a lot - can't wait to have hundreds of mobile Zelda quests :D

Thinking about it, does the NES version of Zelda have music? Maybe the default levels of ZC doesn't event have music! :ph34r:

I found something on the internet about music problems on the linux version:

http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40189

If you are using Linux, the problem is actually a MIDI incompatibility in the default settings or something technical like that. Fortunately, there is a solution:

1. Download a soundfont from the internet (Here is the Unison one- it's legal, but see the caveats below).
2. Download the allegro utility pat2dat from your distribution's repos.
3. Run pat2dat on Unison ('man pat2dat' at command line for instructions on this).
4. Place the resulting patches.dat file in your Zelda Classic directory.

This found fix the problem- however, there are some caveats with the Unison soundfont, listed below:

* MIDI's may bleed into each other.
* Wrong instruments may be heard.
* The "Reverse Cymbal" GM instrument will not be heard.

These problems are soundfont-dependent. Acquiring another soundfont may eliminate the problems.

Hitnrun said:
Thinking about it, does the NES version of Zelda have music?

... That's where the famous Overworld and Dungeon Themes got their start.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see a port--can't wait to try it.

Like ED, looking forward to full screen and hopefully music, but good to hear speed is good already.

EDIT: I don't know if it's a problem with the upload or the site, but after you hit accept for the license, it sends you back out to a list of Pandora strategy games instead of downloading the file.

naples39 said:
Great to see a port--can't wait to try it.

Like ED, looking forward to full screen and hopefully music, but good to hear speed is good already.

EDIT: I don't know if it's a problem with the upload or the site, but after you hit accept for the license, it sends you back out to a list of Pandora strategy games instead of downloading the file.

Hmm maybe because the "custom license" thing?
I can't seem to change it, maybe it is a bug, was there any upgrade to the dl site, Ed?

Works fine for me.
When I click on "Accept" the download starts, when I click "Decline" it takes me back to a list of all Adventure & RPG Games.

EvilDragon said:
Works fine for me.
When I click on "Accept" the download starts, when I click "Decline" it takes me back to a list of all Adventure & RPG Games.

Weird. I thougt it was maybe a browser thing, but I tried it again in 3 browsers, and clicking on Accept and Decline both take me to a game list.

Ah, ok. Pardon me - it's been a long, long time since I added the main download locations to my whitelist.

Tried the download again today for the first time in a while and it worked. :huh:

Oh well, will give it a shot now.

EDIT: Okay, so I tried it. Pretty nice start.

I stumbled upon the menu via the touchscreen, allowing you to change controls among other things. Unfortunately it doesn't save that setting at the moment.

Also, I noticed that at 500mhz, the default first quest runs about 44 fps. 700mhz kicked it up to 60fps.

Customs quest seem to load too. The one quest I tried just to test seemed to slow it down slightly, going about 56 fps at 700mhz. Sounds like 750 will do the trick for that one at least.

Just get some screen scaling and hopefully some music going, saveable controls and this should be pretty nice.

naples39 said:
Tried the download again today for the first time in a while and it worked. :huh:

Oh well, will give it a shot now.

EDIT: Okay, so I tried it. Pretty nice start.

I stumbled upon the menu via the touchscreen, allowing you to change controls among other things. Unfortunately it doesn't save that setting at the moment.

Also, I noticed that at 500mhz, the default first quest runs about 44 fps. 700mhz kicked it up to 60fps.

Customs quest seem to load too. The one quest I tried just to test seemed to slow it down slightly, going about 56 fps at 700mhz. Sounds like 750 will do the trick for that one at least.

Just get some screen scaling and hopefully some music going, saveable controls and this should be pretty nice.

Thanks for testing it, first I need to learn a little about Allegro to do the scaling, if someone have tips please step forward.

As it is somewhat playable on this stage, I am trying first to fix the music, so ED can be a little less stressed as he is the last weeks! :D

Definitely go for scaling first. you can play without music, but that screen is just too small without scaling.

naples39 said:
Definitely go for scaling first. you can play without music, but that screen is just too small without scaling.
Agree here, play MAME all the time without sound, but I have to use SDLMAME for the classics, otherwise they are too small.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Back