Zelda Classic 2.11 B18 Gp2x 0.1alpha

Hitnrun

Zelda Classic 2.11 B18 Gp2x 0.1alpha is an unnoficial port by Hitnrun, with permission from Dark Nation of Zelda Classic.

This is an alpha release, so it wasn't tested too much, test it and post your results on the forum.

Read the included README.GP2X for a list of observations.

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,26,2549

zelda.jpg

Sounds interesting. Maybe I try a later release, I'm not a big Alpha-fan. ^_^

From the Screenshot it looks like the old NES Graphic Style. Does this Port also support the SNES Graphic Sets?

PlopperZ said:
Doesn't work. Just displays a black screen.
You use an F-100 or F-200? It takes some time to start up, maybe 15 to 25 seconds.
It takes some time to exit too.

fusion_power said:
Sounds interesting. Maybe I try a later release, I'm not a big Alpha-fan. ^_^

From the Screenshot it looks like the old NES Graphic Style. Does this Port also support the SNES Graphic Sets?
Yes, there are games with the SNES graphic sets, this port should support all quests that fit on the gp2x memory.

In my tests quests up to 800kb in size should work.

EDIT: this test version saves 2 log files on run:

allegro.log
z.log

If it doesn't work, try looking at them or sending any error messages you see on them here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im using an F200. I left it on for a couple of minutes. But for some reason, alot of things dont work on mine.

allleluyahhhhh !

I'm awaiting this port since i got my gp2x, will try after my study !!!

Thhanks a lot,
paxl13

Gosh poopit. You HAVE to release this on the day that homework ate me alive. :(

Good stuff, though. I can't wait to try it out.

Tried it out. Works okay... slow but playable. Although, the status bar on top of the screen seems to disappear.

Good work, and hope to see this improved on. :)

Hitnrun said:
Parkydr said:
Works for me (F-100 MKI),

I see from the Readme that select and home can't be mapped. Have you got the button patch?
I got a diff for 4.2.0 from here:

http://www.glost.eclipse.co.uk/gfoot/gp2x/allegro.html, isn't this the latest version?

It is, but there is a patch.

Or get it pre-built here.

WRT the speed, although the movement is slow it is smooth - it looks like it's slowed in proportion to 60 fps (from the counter at the bottom) not from maxing out the CPU. Could the 60 be reduced to 30? (Don't know if this is rubbish - I haven't seen the code, I'm just guessing).

Another cause black screens on MK-IIs (and F-200?) is that the default allegro library doesn't initialise the blitter properly, you may need to add a dummy blit (details here).

Hm, I think the news post should have had some explanation of the context (or did I miss it?), like "what's different from playing this and playing misc. Zeldas in the NES and SNES emus?" For people like me that isn't part of the Zelda community.

Like Fusion_power, I'm not a big Alpha-fan either, but post again when a stable is done and I will try it! :)

Henrik Erlandsson said:
Hm, I think the news post should have had some explanation of the context (or did I miss it?), like "what's different from playing this and playing misc. Zeldas in the NES and SNES emus?" For people like me that isn't part of the Zelda community.

Like Fusion_power, I'm not a big Alpha-fan either, but post again when a stable is done and I will try it! :)
I thought the same thing when I first heard of Zelda Classic.

Some info from ZC webpage
http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/what.php

What Is ZC?
Zelda Classic is a tribute to (what we think is) the greatest video game of all time: Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda. It has been developed into an exact replica of the NES version that we all know and love. Beyond that, Zelda Classic allows the development of new quests that can use either the traditional graphics or enhanced graphics, as well as new enemies, items, and challenges.

Many features have been added in the past few years. Now, instead of being merely a Legend of Zelda Clone, Zelda Classic has become so much more. With ZQuest, Zelda Classic's Quest Creator, anyone can make their very own quest from scratch, and now, with all of the features that have been added in the past years, the possibilities are virtually endless for the style of quest you can make. If you can imagine it, you can create it (provided it's in 8-bit color). Quests have grown larger and longer, into seemingly epic games, that can take days, if not weeks to complete. With ZQuest, you can create your own original graphics, or import them from any game you like. In the past we've seen ZC versions of LEXX, (many versions of) Mega Man, Metroid and Super Mario Brothers, all in the classic quest style. As well as hundreds upon hundreds of first rate custom Zelda Quests.

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds exactly suited to the type of retro-gaming GP2X and Pandora are meant for. Looking forward to improved releases.

Me too didn't heard of it before this forum, the NES quests don't excite me too much too, but I was told the custom quests to be spectacular, extremelly well made, and that lives up to the Zelda name.

I've run some of the bigger ones on the desktop, they have the SNES graphic set, and looks very good indeed.

Hitnrun said:
Me too didn't heard of it before this forum, the NES quests don't excite me too much too, but I was told the custom quests to be spectacular, extremelly well made, and that lives up to the Zelda name.

I've run some of the bigger ones on the desktop, they have the SNES graphic set, and looks very good indeed.
Some of these are excellent. A few even use the engine to make games that aren't even really Zelda games at all. Good stuff, I can't wait for this to be polished.

Question to all:

Is there a way to make Allegro on linux to recognize Timidity... If I want midi music to works in the desktop version.

Thanks a lot for the port,
paxl13

Ok doing some profilling, there are good chance to dramatically improve the speed! :)

Is there someone here that knows allegro well? The top 3 functions that take the most time are allegro functions:

39.60 99.56 99.56 24020 0.00 0.00 _linear_clear_to_color8
23.53 158.71 59.15 17716 0.00 0.00 _linear_blit8
7.53 177.63 18.92 5108 0.00 0.00 _linear_masked_blit8

Seems to be the most important functions, clear_bitmap, blit, masked_blit, on the gp2x a non-optimized C function is being called, isn't this optimized on the allegro gp2x port? Is it possible, besides writing ASM ARM (which I have no experience in)?

Back