Your Thoughts On What To Get?

Jonsul

Still Fresh
New to the scene!^-^

Hey just looking to see if anyone will be able to give advice to me on this.
I'm looking into buying a gp2x wiz for gaming and development. I have a few concerns
though. I've been hearing rumors that GPH is prepping for the release of another
device or that GPH is having financial difficulties. Kinda risky if you want to
make software for it. Is there any truth to these rumors?
I've also been looking at the Dingoo which a lot of people seem to like. I just
don't like it as much though, but it could be more stable.

I'm probably going on with the wiz because I can imagine that any programs I make
will probably be easy to port to a new system, and considering I'll be moving to S.Korea
soon it may be the best choice, but it's still troubling. I've been kinda untrusting of
the financial stability of GPH ever since the company splintered and the other died.

Thanks

Jonsul said:
New to the scene!^-^

Hey just looking to see if anyone will be able to give advice to me on this.
I'm looking into buying a gp2x wiz for gaming and development. I have a few concerns
though. I've been hearing rumors that GPH is prepping for the release of another
device or that GPH is having financial difficulties. Kinda risky if you want to
make software for it. Is there any truth to these rumors?
I've also been looking at the Dingoo which a lot of people seem to like. I just
don't like it as much though, but it could be more stable.

I'm probably going on with the wiz because I can imagine that any programs I make
will probably be easy to port to a new system, and considering I'll be moving to S.Korea
soon it may be the best choice, but it's still troubling. I've been kinda untrusting of
the financial stability of GPH ever since the company splintered and the other died.

Thanks

If you are worrying about if support for the device may disappear, I would be more worried about the dingoo. The maker just sees it as an mp3 player, not a console and is liable to make changes which renders 3rd party software useless.
It is unlikely that the wiz community will break up if gamepark went under do to other consoles holding the 'scene' together. The gp32 hasn't been made in years and we still get the occasional new release. If your plan is to sell games, I don't think there is much in that one way or the other. While I am sure many people here will support an independent developer, it's not like you have 1 million people to sell to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think GPH have financial trouble. I remember reading that they had won some grant or something in korea which seemed a lot of money. The wiz is also for sale on thinkgeek i think it was, so i'm guessing it is going at least ok for them.

They have been talking about a new console, but i wouldn't expect that any time soon. Although this is also just guessing :)

Welcome aboard jonsul!

I looked at alot of the different systems before deciding on the Wiz. (I actually ended up buying two - one for me and one for my son)

I've been around since you had to build your own computers. I remember sitting around with my own "geek squad" hacking the Atari 400,800,ST, C64, Amiga , etc etc.
I bet someone remember this little bit of code: JSR E4 53 (that was the disk sector read routine on the first atari pc's)

While everything eventually becomes obsolete I think this system and the old ones will be around a long time. It's been awhile since I did Linux programming but I've already able to write and execute some basic code on the Wiz just as a refresher.

Also like stated the people who developed the dingoo didn't intend it to be as open as GPH has made and promotes their product to be.

Hello to everyone in the forum BTW. I've had no problems setting up any of the emulators with reading all the previous posts.

BD

Back