Prospective Buyer With A Few Questions

totheteeth

Still Fresh
Hey guys. I've been looking at the Wiz because I think it would be nice to have a handheld device for all the stuff I want to emulate. But after looking around a bit through the files section and some posts here, I'm a bit apprehensive.

How reliable is the device itself? Is bricking something that happens frequently?

How painless is setting up emulators, generally? Is performance good for SNES/Genesis games?

Does the Wiz version of MAME support all the machines that the regular one does?

Thanks,
-Zach

totheteeth said:
Hey guys. I've been looking at the Wiz because I think it would be nice to have a handheld device for all the stuff I want to emulate. But after looking around a bit through the files section and some posts here, I'm a bit apprehensive.

How reliable is the device itself? Is bricking something that happens frequently?

How painless is setting up emulators, generally? Is performance good for SNES/Genesis games?

Does the Wiz version of MAME support all the machines that the regular one does?

Thanks,
-Zach

Ehm... The Wiz IS reliable at all ;)
1. - Pay attention to OLED display - It can burn-in, but otherwise it is wonderful display
2. - Battery is cool - can stay on REALLY long on
3. - Touch screen - better than Nintendo DS's - stylus is placed good
4. - User community (obvoiusly) :D
5. - Ehm.... do not, but REALLY DO NOT PUSH ANY BUTTON WHEN YOU TURN ON YOUR WIZ! GP32X People will know :p

Emulator set up huh?

With Amiga Emu is a bit harder set-up
For normal guy, which can set up Gens Emulator will be PicoDrive easy to set-up - Just place sega CD Bios and you are ready-to-play
SNES Emulation? Running well with 50 FPS - sometimes lags, but in 99% of games it runs perfectly

MAME

Of course not. :p games like Scud Race or Sega Rally no hope

SaS

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting up , just means (most of the time) placing a couple of files on the sd card , sometimes you have to find a bios. Other things , like amiga and dosbox, require a more effort. But "setting up" is pretty painless for the most part

Also my wiz didn't brick when I updated to 1.2.1.

EDIT: Also sega genesis games play full speed for me, haven't tried any sega cd games tho

Good to hear all of this. My MAME question was phrased poorly, I'm not really concerned about if newer games are supported so much as if I can play Cave shooters. I just figured that would be a good way to pose my question.

Thanks for your guys' help, I think I'll probably end up buying one of these soon.

totheteeth said:
Good to hear all of this. My MAME question was phrased poorly, I'm not really concerned about if newer games are supported so much as if I can play Cave shooters. I just figured that would be a good way to pose my question.

Thanks for your guys' help, I think I'll probably end up buying one of these soon.

Newer games from 2000's run, but must be 2D - like CPS2, Neo-Geo CD
and Sega CD games run excellent - few of them are not :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is not much danger of bricking. I dont think anyone has bricked their wiz while upgrading the firmware.

But you should get a wiz quickly if you want one. GPH have stopped making them and are upgrading it to the Caanoo, which is pretty much the same only has an analog stick, not the best suited for emulators, and a 3.5" LCD which is not as vivid as the AMOLED on the wiz.

/Uni

If you want to play Cave shooters, then Final Burn Alpha on the Wiz will be perfect for you. They run great! Also the Raizing shooters on Final Burn Alpha run really well. It doesn't play all the games that are listed in the PC version, but I know the Cave shooters play really well.

On the subject of bricking, if I were to accidentally brick my Wiz, is there a simple fix?

Back