Wanting To Develop....

Discussion in 'I need help' started by matt101, Aug 15, 2010.

1. matt101

matt101 Still Fresh

I've been wanting to develop for the wiz/caanoo for a while now, and it seems c++ is the best language to use for programming on them. But I don't know what to do so i can learn the language. I don't mind buying a few books or so, but i just want the fastest and what you think is the best method for learning c++. Bear in mind i have not programmed before so It will need to be a complete newbie guide- although I do pick things up like that pretty fast. Also i do not own a caanoo yet and was wondering whether there is any point getting the wifi dongle that gph make. Or to wait and buy a smaller 3rd party wifi dongle, that the community has support for.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: I am also running mac os x snow leopard.

Tags:
  2. hardyx

hardyx Member

If you want to learn C++ you can check this pages. The only method to learn is read tutorials or books and practice a lot. Try the samples for youself and modify the code to make different things. I recommend you learn C and then learn SDL library. SDL is a multiplatform graphic and multimedia library used in many proyects. Learning C++ (objects) is more difficult for a beginner, then learn C first and SDL.

There are other languages like Bennu, is easy to learn and made for videogames. Bennu is a DIV based language that allows you see results of your game faster than C++. More languages can appear later.

Learning C/C++:
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
    http://www.learncpp.com/

Learning SDL library:
    http://wiki.libsdl.o...n.cgi/Tutorials

Programming GP2X consoles:
    http://wiki.gp2x.org...pment_Tutorials

3. hardyx

hardyx Member

4. matt101

matt101 Still Fresh

Surely there are some good books/guides out there for c++ that slowly teaches you how it works, rather than all at once- i own an objective-c for dummies book and that really simplifies things and makes it easier to learn. But having looked at c++ for dummies reviews it doesn't look like a very good book. So could you recommend me a guide similar to that?

NOTE: Although i own objective-c for dummies i only started reading the beginning and stopped as i would prefer to program for the wiz/caanoo rather than my mac.

Or are the tutorials that you recommended the best ones to learn from?

5. matt101

matt101 Still Fresh

bump.

6. Alex.

Alex. Retired

Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials are exactly what you need. I think any C++ book would be good enough, as long as you start small and build from there you will do well.

Good luck!

7. b1ueskycomp1ex

b1ueskycomp1ex Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy

I really recommend C++ for you++, mostly because it's got such a fantastic name. It's a good beginner's book.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  8. tmathews

tmathews Still Fresh

Going on further with this, is there any guides specific to getting start on OSX? I already know a bunch of programming languages, but I do not know how to install the SDK's or the tools and toolchains needed on to OSX. Can anyone point me into the direction of this?

EDIT: asked too soon, found some stuff. If anyone has any really useful links for developing on OSX I would appreciate them.

9. torpor

torpor hack hack hack, the little machines fight back

Best thing to do if you want to develop for Wiz/Caanoo/Pandora on OSX is install VirtualBox (or Parallels - I use this, and it works just as well) and then get a Linux VM set up .. the hassle of getting these tools on OSX isn't worth it, just get a Linux VM happening ..

10. belal1

belal1 Still Fresh

Anyone know where I can download more of Evil Dragon's Bennu tutorial? I had found a PDF with a single lesson but lost it and can't seem to find it.