F100. F200. F800? Yup, A New Gph Model In The Works.

What is "BoB"?

I seem to remember that there was an English-speaking representative from GPH talking to the community just before/after the GP2X was released... whatever happened to her?

hmmmm.... Dont know about your other question, but BoB = Break Out Board.

From gp2x.co.uk:QUOTE
The Breakout Board plugs into the EXT port of the GP2X and turns it into a full computer with 4xUSB ports, RS232, Audio and Video out & Jtag. You can plug in various USB devices (such as a keyboard, mouse and Joysticks) and hook the GP2X upto your TV for a proper computer/console set up. You can also use the Jtag and RS232 for debugging and reflashing GP2X units. Ideal for building a home DIVX system, MAME cabinet, MP3/OGG Sound system, classic computer set up etc. Although the board will run via batteries it is recommended you use a PSU with it since it will be at home anyway, rather uneconomical to waste batteries!

Hi everyone,

All I'll say is that the only experience I've had with linux is when I installed it on my old computer, it worked for one day, and the computer never worked again. I didn't get that into it, so that is where my "noobishness" with linux comes from.

I had the same experience some years ago. I really wanted to use Linux because I was fed up with Windows, so I asked a friend of mine to install it on my computer. I remember it was a Redhat...it worked for one day too, then it crashed after I right-clicked on an icon. I know it sounds impossible but it's true. My computer refused to boot up and I had to format the hard drive :( I was really disappointed and kept on using Windows for a while. 3 years ago I decided that Linux deserved another chance. I tried Mandrake/Mandriva Linux, which in my opinion sucks.Then I tried Ubuntu, and I never used Windows again. Morality : Linux is like sex, the first experience is never the best ;)

Bye

Magic Sam

Esn said:
What is "BoB"?

I seem to remember that there was an English-speaking representative from GPH talking to the community just before/after the GP2X was released... whatever happened to her?
I dont know what happened exactly, but I know someone here on the forums said she no longer works at GPH.

The bob is the break out board extension, which has a tv out and some USB slots, as mentioned above..

Magic Sam said:
Morality : Linux is like sex, the first experience is never the best ;)
I doubt everyone agrees with that metaphor :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Magic Sam said:
Hi everyone,

All I'll say is that the only experience I've had with linux is when I installed it on my old computer, it worked for one day, and the computer never worked again. I didn't get that into it, so that is where my "noobishness" with linux comes from.
I had the same experience some years ago. I really wanted to use Linux because I was fed up with Windows, so I asked a friend of mine to install it on my computer. I remember it was a Redhat...it worked for one day too, then it crashed after I right-clicked on an icon. I know it sounds impossible but it's true. My computer refused to boot up and I had to format the hard drive :( I was really disappointed and kept on using Windows for a while. 3 years ago I decided that Linux deserved another chance. I tried Mandrake/Mandriva Linux, which in my opinion sucks.Then I tried Ubuntu, and I never used Windows again. Morality : Linux is like sex, the first experience is never the best ;)
Magic Sam

I've been using Linux for quite a while (since around '95 or so) and I still want to bash my head against hard walls sometimes. Take configuring it to use two sound cards the other day. I really, really hate Linux sometimes. And I have all sorts of old UNIX workstations laying around, just as a hobby I like to masochistically put BSDs on them. It's a perversion, not a form of love I feel. Yet, diagnosing spurious "Bus Errors" on a buggy NetBSD Sparc implementation of SMP is pure ecstasy compared to configuring ALSA or fonts under Linux.

And now, back to diagnosing why it takes > 3 versions of libmikmod to stop causing libSMPEG dependency problems when I try to link a simple effing game. LINUX LIIIINNNUUUUXXX I HATE YOU

Senor Quack said:
compared to configuring ALSA or fonts under Linux.
my experience is very similar.

wireless, which everyone complains about, has always been easy for me, and ndiswrapper means that most cards will work, though maybe not with all functions. actually, i have more problems in windows with one particular card of mine than in linux. then again, my home wlan isn't encrypted, that makes things easier.

linux sound is crazy. i have sound for most things, drivers for my m-audio delta were easily found & installed. but there's lots of stuff i can't get going (mostly on the JACK side, although jack itself works fine).

fonts...holy crap. while it's not a big deal getting kde or gnome to look good, the problem as i see it is that everyone codes their apps to use different gui toolkits, and making gtk apps look "normal" in kde is very frustrating. i've got to assume that it's a similar story with qt apps in gnome.

Back