Your Most Wanted Ported Game On Pandora?

Gaidin said:
Sphinxter said:
C'mon, now we're just making silly situations up. Is there actually an RTS game that uses a touchscreen or are you just trolling? There is a dpad and two joysticks in front of you, what could anyone possibly take their hand off the controls and tap the screen for?
I could ask the same of you. I would assume that any RTS you can play with a mouse can be played with a touch screen.

Which makes me think your being sarcastic.

Either way my concern, i guess, was mainly with the sturdiness of the clamshell hinge. I've never used a device with a touchscreen on a clamshell lid before.

I repeat, you have two analog joysticks and a dpad directly under your thumbs, nobody except maybe for the sheer novelty of it would bother using the touch screen and they'd be fragged stupid almost immediately for such a piss poor choice of controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sphinxter said:
I repeat, you have two analog joysticks and a dpad directly under your thumbs, nobody except maybe for the sheer novelty of it would bother using the touch screen and they'd be fragged stupid almost immediately for such a piss poor choice of controls.
or i could take you on pretty well with metroid prime:hunters. it may lack the analogues but i could still pwn you harder than anything, and that uses the dpad, and the screen.

analogues are too stiff, lets hope this machine isn't as bad as the PSP's nub (something like 45% of it is deadzone)

Sphinxter said:
And I repeat, We're talking RTS. Real Time Strategy games. I would think it would be a lot faster to simple touch your villager, barracks, soldier, etc on the touch screen, then maneuver a mouse cursor with an analog nub.

I think Sphinxter thinks RTS is FPS.
RTS: Dune, Command & Conquer, Warcraft
FPS: Quake, Unreal, Serious Sam, oh well, *cough* Counterstrike *cough*

Talking about RTS, why not the best RTS ever (IMHO :) ): Total Annihilation.
I've "wasted" many hours on that game.

quindo said:
Talking about RTS, why not the best RTS ever (IMHO :) ): Total Annihilation.
I've "wasted" many hours on that game.
yes, i still play TA!
its now more than 10 years old and the user interface is still the best. supreme commander is great, but TA is still the classic. and i can play it in 1600x1200 on my PC :)

well, and there is TA:SPRING, the open source engine that works with the original content and theres a lot of free stuff available too.

oh...mobile SPRING with wlan support...jesus! :)

TA:SPRING might be a touch on the resourse-heavy side for Pandora - although just a touch mind. The site mentions that a 1ghz processor can manage ~500 units (so if the scale for units is vaguely linear, Pandora might manage ~300, which I've no idea if is sufficient of not).

Of more concern is the comment that "SPRING has run on computers with 256mb ram, albeit on the lowest detail settings", which implies that getting it down to 128mb worth is going to be problematic. The comment about needing a GeForce 4mx or equivalent minimum may also be an issue, considering I believe the SGX is supposed to approximately equal a decent GeForce 3 (I could be mis-remembering Exophase, please correct me if I am), although that could equally not be too bad, since iirc the GeForce 4 series was kinda bad in comparisson to it's older cousins...

to me, this sounds realistic.
It might just be possible to scale it down, use only smaller maps, etc.
The last time i developed something serious in C++ was almost 8 years ago, but maybe I will take a look at it :)

Tobriand said:
TA:SPRING might be a touch on the resourse-heavy side for Pandora - although just a touch mind. The site mentions that a 1ghz processor can manage ~500 units (so if the scale for units is vaguely linear, Pandora might manage ~300, which I've no idea if is sufficient of not).

Of more concern is the comment that "SPRING has run on computers with 256mb ram, albeit on the lowest detail settings", which implies that getting it down to 128mb worth is going to be problematic. The comment about needing a GeForce 4mx or equivalent minimum may also be an issue, considering I believe the SGX is supposed to approximately equal a decent GeForce 3 (I could be mis-remembering Exophase, please correct me if I am), although that could equally not be too bad, since iirc the GeForce 4 series was kinda bad in comparisson to it's older cousins...

Freeciv.
I wouldn't mind the UFO series (UFO: AI is a good candidate), Sim City 2000, the Caesar series, the Settler series, etc... But Freeciv would be perfect.

kanzlr said:
to me, this sounds realistic.
It might just be possible to scale it down, use only smaller maps, etc.
The last time i developed something serious in C++ was almost 8 years ago, but maybe I will take a look at it :)
Tobriand said:

Wow. I remember TA from years ago, but I was unaware of this 3D remake. It looks amazing. Judging by the example systems listed on the system requirements page, it seems a direct port is going to be well beyond the capabilities of Pandora.

That is not to say that some significantly re-scaled version could not be made to run to some degree. It would be a sizable project, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Such a shame. A game of this caliber could really be the killer app for a device like Pandora.

Sphinxter said:
Balzac2m said:
I think Sphinxter thinks RTS is FPS.
RTS: Dune, Command & Conquer, Warcraft
FPS: Quake, Unreal, Serious Sam, oh well, *cough* Counterstrike *cough*
I am confused.

RTS Real Time Stratergy. Usually isometric 3D stratergy game. Use your mouse to select units etc on the screen and move them about etc.

FPS First Person Shooter. Behind the gun fairly realistic 3D action ala quake or halo etc. Use your mouse to headshot the opponent ;)

Steve Max said:
Freeciv.
I wouldn't mind the UFO series (UFO: AI is a good candidate), Sim City 2000, the Caesar series, the Settler series, etc... But Freeciv would be perfect.
I plan on porting this one if nobody else does :)

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
Has anyone said Metal Gear Solid yet? That is a MUST!
To port a program to a new system, you must first have the source code and everything that goes with it. That's certainly not an option for MGS. What you want is a good port of a PSX emulator so you can play the original PSX version.

dockthepod said:
Steve Max said:
Freeciv.
I plan on porting this one if nobody else does :)

Good on you! UFO: AI would be great for the Pandora. I'm not sure if it supports 800x480. But wouldn't be hard to add.

Wait - You were probably talking about FreeCiv. (Also an awesome port suggestion)

My request - An OpenGL Wrapper so I can play linux comemrical games.

Back