Your Favorite Media Player

Redsandro

Still Fresh
Website
www.rednet.nl
What is your favorite media player?

I absolutely (would) love the Gmu GP2X Music Player but it's just not getting updated and lack of mp3 fastforwarding is trivial, especially for audio books. I'm looking for something similar that lets you browse and create playlists that easy and has not got half the screen filled with bad layout like some.

Same for mp2x Movie Player, I love how it can crop movies (as opposed to built-in player) but lack of touch screen support (F200(B)) and not remembering last directory is too bad.

I was gonna link to them but I see the file archive has been redone.

I'm just wondering, what do you F200 people use for these purposes with joy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame it's not open-source. The author is very against releasing the source code, and so there's no way to add fast-forwarding.

I'll try to get in touch and maybe get permission to add the fast-forwarding feature, since it is the included media player in GMenu2X. I think we've tried before, however.

I like gmu myself. I'd like mp3 fast forwarding but its still my favorite audio player since it has a nice interface, plays a fair amount of formats, and has good playlist support. I think wejp was looking into mp3 seeking so hopefully you guys can work something out.

oldplay is prety good too though i find the controls less intuitive than gmu and interface not as appealing. it may have mp3 seeking but I'm not sure. its definitely worth a try.

theres really only the default video player and mp2x as far as video goes. some of my pocketdivx encoded movies don't work right with default 4.0.0 video player unfortunately. I forget the exact player used in open2x but that seemed good. there is no "full featured" video player for gp2x though whats there is good enough for most situations.

Senor Quack said:
I'll try to get in touch and maybe get permission to add the fast-forwarding feature, since it is the included media player in GMenu2X.

Last time I had contact he was planning to use another decoder (mpg123) to implement that feature, but was waiting for a bugfix first. It's recently been updated but I don't know if the bug was fixed. I'll ask what the status is on the project.

jbrodack said:
oldplay is prety good too though i find the controls less intuitive than gmu and interface not as appealing. it may have mp3 seeking but I'm not sure. its definitely worth a try.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Is mp2x actually open source? I think it's the best candidate for some sculpting.

I've been using my phone for books and music lately, but my favourite audio app was ommpc2x. It remembers where you left off (a must for books and podcasts) and supports over 1000 files (unlike gmu back then).

thanks for the tip about mp2x, a fw update destroyed my ability to resume from last spot in videos and that was a big blow to the usefulness of my gp2x.

klikklak said:
I've been using my phone for books and music lately, but my favourite audio app was ommpc2x.

Unfortunately, that app crashes on my F200 when I press the volume button.

Senor Quack said:
I'll try to get in touch and maybe get permission to add the fast-forwarding feature, since it is the included media player in GMenu2X. I think we've tried before, however.

I contacted him about the update, and it did not seem to resolve the issue. However, a version with support is still going to happen. Only the timeframe is curious.

Let me quote that mail (with permission):

Hi Sander,

unfortunately it seems the update did not solve the problem. You can follow the progress on the bug tracker, if you are interessted:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detai...group_id=135704
I've opened this bug a while ago and the main developer is aware of the problem.
I know lots of people would like to see seeking for mp3 in Gmu as well and I will do my best to make that possible. Actually it is already possible with mpg123 as the decoder, but the sound quality is not always satisfactory.
Currently I'm in the progress of preparing a new Gmu release (which will take a little while because I am really busy with lots of other stuff, but I will eventually release a new version). I might ship this version with an experimental mpg123 decoder, if the problem with mpg123 has not been solved until then, anyway. So everyone can then decide whether to use it or not.
With the new release it will also be possible for others to implement new decoders for various file formats, so if someone is interessted in decoding mp3 with yet another mp3 decoder library, that will be possible.

Greetings

Johannes

'Redsandro' said:
'klikklak' said:
I've been using my phone for books and music lately, but my favourite audio app was ommpc2x.

Unfortunately, that app crashes on my F200 when I press the volume button.
I've never seen/heard of a volume button crash. I've been a bit AWOL from the forums lately, but let me know(PM or whatever) if you want to try ommpc again and want me to help troubleshoot that crash...

hey,

ommpc2x is also my favorite music player, very smooth, plays my mp3's fine @ 100mhz (lcd off, 128kbps) and works well with fairly large playlists (4gb of mp3)

I use it almost everyday ;)

Back