Your awesome Pandora moments

Prometheus

As I'm sure everyone who's used a Pandora can attest to, every once in a while (or more often) you come across moments with it that are cool for any number of reasons. This thread is for sharing those cool moments, big or small. :p

To kick off, I have a few to share - two practical moments, and a pair of gaming ones.

Practical 1: When I first received my Pandora, seeing and trying out the keyboard was the first of those moments of amazement. I had intended to use the machine for writing, and I found the layout to be intuitive and easy to work with. I typed out my entire set of first impressions (which as some of you might remember, was one VERY long post back on the other forum) on it with ease, and soon became a very fast thumb-typist. :p Unlike the experiences of some, I had no troubles with adapting to the layout - it all made perfect sense to me from the very first moment. This was a real "Wow!" for me.

Practical 2: I travelled to a place last year that was supposed to have internet access available, but when I arrived it turned out that it was, to be very generous, abysmal. The next day, I went to the store of a national mobile telephone provider, who had a branch in the locality, signed up a contract for a 3G "MiFi" modem, and was online with my Pandora, on the "full" internet (as opposed to pared-down mobile sites) within as long as it took for my account to be activated, plus a couple of minutes for setting it all up. All of this without needing to carry a much larger computer. :p

Gaming 1: MegaMan Legends with headphones. A pair of Sennheiser PX200-IIs, to be precise. :p The ruins, the sea, the forest - everything sounds as if it's all around you.

Gaming 2: Learning that Roll is a completely ruthless cowbag in Mega Man Battle & Chase during the final race with her, and then soundly defeating her and stealing the body from her car (with thanks to the excellent controls).
grin.gif
My (somewhat ridiculous) car now looks like this;

MEGAMAN_BATTLE_AND_CHASE-SLES00766313235111.png

This particular body allows you to jump over opponents or, when the power meter is fully charged, perform a tornado attack along with the jump in order to damage things (and opponents). :p

So, what are your Pandora moments that have made you stop and think, "Wow, that's cool."? Anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
To name one out of many "Awesome" moments...

When I charged the baby overnight, took it to school and took notes all day, came back home and it was still at 40% battery power.

I read that as 'changed the baby, took it to school..' (like a real human baby); took me a second to figure out what you meant, then realized I misread :) I'm picturing someone changing a baby with one hand, while valiently holding their pandora away from the poop emitting end..

jeff

I finally beat Kaizo Mario on it last week, I'd say thats a pretty awesome moment :D

Hmm.

1. MDK on PCSX ReARMed. This was an iconic game for me back in the DOS days (after Quake etc), and it holds special memories. Being able to play it on a small handheld just underlined how far tech has come.

2. Mario64 - Ditto.

3. The Daphne emulator - hours spent watching Dragon's Lair's attract mode in the local arcade when I was a kid flooded back, and there it was in the palm of my hand.

4. Seeing my own code run on the Panda (with PandaBAS, initially). It's slower than I had hoped for, but still very capable.

5. Finally, seeing the attract mode of Forget-Me-Not appear on the Pandora screen. I had no c or c++ experience at that point, and compilers and linkers were alien to me. The constant derision from some community members on IRC was drainging, with comments about how it should be ported by someone "who's got a fucking clue about c++" or words to that effect not helping at all. Seeing it there, running, was a moment I'll remember for a long time to come :)

D.

1. Ditto on repairing the Pandora myself.

2. Ditto on playing Mario 64.

3. Playing Quake 3.

4. The Colecovision,Intellivision,Vectrex and Odyssey 2 emulators playing spot on.

5. Playing Vektar and Super Geometry Dust.

6. Playing Beats of Rage.

7. Realizing I have downloaded thousands of great games on the Pandora!!

5. Finally, seeing the attract mode of Forget-Me-Not appear on the Pandora screen. I had no c or c++ experience at that point, and compilers and linkers were alien to me. The constant derision from some community members on IRC was drainging, with comments about how it should be ported by someone "who's got a fucking clue about c++" or words to that effect not helping at all. Seeing it there, running, was a moment I'll remember for a long time to come :)
Oh, I see there's still an arse or two hanging around in there. I'd like to know what some of them have produced outside the occasional nocturnal emission. :)

On that topic (ports, not bodily functions) seeing Seq24 fire up after much help was a pretty exciting moment - I think I'd compiled something maybe once or twice before, but to have cross compiled something, waded through pages of expert help and eventually made a working PND was very cool.

Hearing the first sounds emerge from my C64's SID chip (being driven by Hatari -> Cubase -> USB MIDI inteface -> MSSIAH) was a bit fabulous.

The first moment was on the first day though. I'd spent the afternoon finding my way around the device. It was all cute and amazing, and a little surreal to finally have it, but I hadn't really 'clicked' with it yet. I was heading to bed and thought, why not just take it with me. I climbed into bed, fired up the wifi, and started chatting with some mates on IRC. That was the moment - I paused to study the profile of the Pandora in the dim light and said 'Look at you. You're awesome.'

Something to do with the USB port and "adult" electronic "novelties" that are also powered by USB. I will say no further.

Playing games like Super Geometry Dust, Forget Me Not, Vektar, Wars: Commando and anything in MAME.

My most awesome moment was playing Medievil for the first time on a portable device.

Unfortunately it was one of my only Pandora experiences before i had to send it back to craig :(

My favourite Pandora moment: when milkshakes repo came online, and I realized just how freakin' awesome it was to see such an effort designed for our lovely bits of hardware .. spent hours browsing it with my Pandora, just in awe at the scene.

These days however, I have to admit to being more than a little bit occupied by my iPad2. Poor Pandora's are just sitting there, for the most part, slowly draining their batteries down .. ;( I have to do something about that.

My favourite Pandora moment: when milkshakes repo came online, and I realized just how freakin' awesome it was to see such an effort designed for our lovely bits of hardware .. spent hours browsing it with my Pandora, just in awe at the scene.

wow thanks :) that made me feel quite appreciated :D lovely stuff, im glad you like it.

first was obviously getting my pandora. did a local pick up, im sure i had the NINTENDO SIXTY FOOOOOOOOOOUR!-kid face on, which may have disturbed the person i was buying it from

another one was firing up a proper usenet newsreader for the first time thanks to sebt3, which later lead to even being able to repair archives from usenet thanks to your friendly neighborhood unadulterated asshole, aTc

My first 'this is awesome' moment other than seeing how good the Dpad is, was in the very early days of ownership when I took the Pandora away for the weekend and forgot the charger. A couple of hours gaming & watching video on the train, a couple of hours listening to music at the cottage, a couple of hours gaming & video on the way back. What's so awesome about that? you may well ask, well, the Pandora was also used to fully recharge my daughters DS & give a good top up charge to my phone and still had a bit of juice left when I got home.

My last 'this is awesome' moment has been seeing how well forget me not runs & plays on Pandora.

There have been many more Pandora moments in between. :D

Something to do with the USB port and "adult" electronic "novelties" that are also powered by USB. I will say no further.
You just ruined your chances for reselling, should you ever get bored of it.

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

Back