GP2X Yeti3d (re)port

I just uploaded an updated version to the archive - available whenever they process the file...

Anyways, here's the lowdown:
  • -Added Squidgehack and switched to SDL_HWSURFACE, increasing speed even more
  • -Enabled crawl (mapped to stick click)
  • -Changed the game_init() function to take a map as a parameter, making it easier to change maps.
  • -Added Yeti_Cleanup() function, called by atexit() as an easy way to clean up after the engine... (see main.c)
  • Messed around with some HUD blitting code, but it was slow and crashed, so I commented it out
  • Killed the files font.c and font.h, as they aren't used
  • Had lots o' fun
Yeah... Oh, yeah, it calls the menu now, so no need to use the wrapper.

I included SDL_SWSURFACE and SDL_HWSURFACE versions this time so you guys could help me figure out which way to go. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, no editor yet... but that is in the much distant future, don't worry.

~Lineus

EDIT: Finally available... that took a year and a half... But it's all good, d/l away!

Lineus said:
I just uploaded an updated version to the archive - available whenever they process the file...

Anyways, here's the lowdown:
  • -Enabled crawl (mapped to stick click)

~Lineus

• probably not a good idea to map anything to stick click since anyone with an f200 can't use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbrodack said:
probably not a good idea to map anything to stick click since anyone with an f200 can't use it.

Well, I just mapped it to the stick because I'm used to Halo... Also, I wa sunder the impression that the stick click could be emulated on F200's by pressing all four d-pad buttons at once... is this true? Anyways, I'm just messing around here, so expect a different mapping when the final product is finished... which will take a long while....

~Lineus

Lineus said:
Well, I just mapped it to the stick because I'm used to Halo... Also, I wa sunder the impression that the stick click could be emulated on F200's by pressing all four d-pad buttons at once... is this true? Anyways, I'm just messing around here, so expect a different mapping when the final product is finished... which will take a long while....

~Lineus
I mean the stick click is not a big deal cause as you said its a work in progress its just that for the most part other devs have all abandoned the stick click probably since the start of dpad modded f100s. There was talk that the stick click could be emulated but no dev has done it yet and I think (not sure) theres something with the ways the dpad is made that won't recognize all 4 buttons pressed at once properly.

As a 3d engine is a huge project and you eventually want new content beyond that old demo you might want to consider looking for people to help with creating content while you're working on the engine. Plus if we get to see new (doesn't have to be much) content sooner with these wip releases im sure more people will be interested in the project.

edit: removed double quote

Hey, just letting you know I'm not dead...

I just recieved the source for the iPhone port of Yeti3D, with enhancements done by Marco Giorgini (official page here) and I plan to make a new release sometime around the corner. This is getting interesting...

Also, I'm just messing around on the side with trying to get Homer's GeMP/RIN to compile for the 2x, as well as the Vectrex emulator vecx, as I've noticed that gex2x has stopped development... but those are just messing around, this is my priority.

I'm really starting to like this project.
~Lineus

Hi there Lineus

Nice work on this release ! very smooth framerate. By the way, if you look for 2D/3D artist, I could be interested in.

The ZEengine was impressive too, 5000 polys with env mapping running at 25 fps, and the author was saying it lacked of optimization !

Phaxan said:
Hi there Lineus

Nice work on this release ! very smooth framerate. By the way, if you look for 2D/3D artist, I could be interested in.

The ZEengine was impressive too, 5000 polys with env mapping running at 25 fps, and the author was saying it lacked of optimization !

Thanks! Good to know, for the future, when theis thing even gets off the ground - You any good with md2 models?

Thanks! Good to know, for the future, when theis thing even gets off the ground - You any good with md2 models?

Haha you got me, never played with that format up to now :)

The last time I peeped at Milkshape, I got a headache XD but it was before I learnt to use 3DS Max. I suppose I have more skills now in Black magic lol

Wegg said:
I'd assume your also going to port this engine to the Pandora? :p

When I get a p&|a, I'll do a proper port, but the source is available, so anyone can do it if they want... shouldn't even need to be done - the panda runs gp2x binaries! (or so I've heard **points to Squidge**)

Back