Yet More Bittorrent Questions

loz_the_guru

i cant think of a good custom member title. Sugges
Website
Visit site
Im sorry, but its my annual format time, and my annual bittorrent set up question time. i know ive asked this twice here before, but I always start off with slow download speeds, regardles of number of seeds/amout uploaded. I remember it being something to do with changing the port numbers or something, could anyone help me out, id be most grateful?

Ok, it would be useful if you used bit tornado as a client as it has a simple colour indicator light and a simple set up menu. www.bittornado.com sod azareus, it's good but multiple downloading doesn't really matter.

If you're not using a router or a network card with built in firewall/NAT then simply make sure you disable windows firewall (do this anyway) and close down any Norton/mcafee programs you may have using (even though they let through the connection they stillslow it down)

If you are using a router, find out how to access it's settings via a web browser (usually an IP address) once in you have to find an option for port fowarding or reservation or whatever. Basically it will be a page with room for about 20 or so IP addresses (the beginings of which will be the same all the way down the list). There'll also be room for a name and 2 boxes each allowing a port range.

What you need to do is find your IP address (I presume your on XP) (do this by going to run in the start menu, typing CMD then in the console typing IPCONFIG) this will display your IP. Then you need to type in your IP into a line in the port fowarding options (usually only the last 2 digits as the rest is usually fixed) then you need to specify a port range, on mine I use 800 to 888, so type in those values (lowest first) and then save changes (remembering to tick any boxes next to the line to enable that set of ports).

Once done open up your torrent in bittornado, head to preferences and in the port range box put 800 in the top and 888 in the bottom ensuring 'random' remains ticked. save changes then close the torrent and open it up again. If all is well after a while the torrent will pick up and the status light should turn green (click the light if you need to know what each colour means)

One last thing, if routers get reset they have a nasty habit of re assigning IPs slightly off, so its best to go back into your router and assign the IP address one number up and down to the same ports just incse it changes.

Hope this is what your looking for, just yell if you need more help.

Thanks twimfy, they only part i didnt get was:

"What you need to do is find your IP address (I presume your on XP) (do this by going to run in the start menu, typing CMD then in the console typing IPCONFIG) this will display your IP. Then you need to type in your IP into a line in the port fowarding options (usually only the last 2 digits as the rest is usually fixed) then you need to specify a port range, on mine I use 800 to 888, so type in those values (lowest first) and then save changes (remembering to tick any boxes next to the line to enable that set of ports)."

Where abouts do i input the IP? Sorry, probably just me being dumb.

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 8 2005 at 11:05 PM said:
Thanks twimfy, they only part i didnt get was:

"What you need to do is find your IP address (I presume your on XP) (do this by going to run in the start menu, typing CMD then in the console typing IPCONFIG) this will display your IP. Then you need to type in your IP into a line in the port fowarding options (usually only the last 2 digits as the rest is usually fixed) then you need to specify a port range, on mine I use 800 to 888, so type in those values (lowest first) and then save changes (remembering to tick any boxes next to the line to enable that set of ports)."

Where abouts do i input the IP? Sorry, probably just me being dumb.

Ok, have you managed to get access to your routers' menu yet? Port fowarding is basically allowing a PC represented by its IP address specific un blocked use of ports you specify. So what you need to do is find a menu which allows you to allocate ports to your IP address.

This is difficult to explain as I don't know what router/network card/setup you're using, if you could grab screenshots of what you're doing then I could guide you on the pictures. Or if you have MSNM I could do it via remote assistance.

Make it a little clearer as to what your specific problem is and it'll make it easier to sort out.

Just list the steps you've gone through so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not using a router, althogh I am using wireless broadband. Many people think I am using a router when I say this, but I am not, I live in a rural area and wireless is the only BB we can get. Ive got msn if you like twimfy, if you dont mind cos I understand its a pain in the ass.

Steps ive taken so far.

I know my IP address, and ive changed the port settings in bittorrnado to 800-888.

yeah but it doesnt work like that, i used to think the same but according to my ISp, and lets face it they should know, I dont. Anyway, thanks for all the help, it appears to be working as im getting speeds of about 30-40k which im willing to put down to a rubbish torrent, but if it deost improve I might message you twimfy, if thats cool.

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 10 2005 at 03:49 AM said:
yeah but it doesnt work like that, i used to think the same but according to my ISp, and lets face it they should know, I dont. Anyway, thanks for all the help, it appears to be working as im getting speeds of about 30-40k which im willing to put down to a rubbish torrent, but if it deost improve I might message you twimfy, if thats cool.
well what is your inernet connection, like how fast?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back