Yad as a successor for Zenity (dialogs in shell scripts)

hmc

Hi guys,

in the current German c't magazine (as of 2012-07-30, page 172 "Fenster auf Befehl") I read an article about Yad, which is an improved alternative to Zenity, backwards compatible to Zenity and offering more flexiility and more features.

I recommend reading of these pages:

http://code.google.com/p/yad/

http://technostripe.com/yad-a-fork-of-zenity-with-more-features/

As Zenity is used for many system scripts and also in many PNDs, what do you think about migration to Yad?

If Yad is really completely backwards compatible, it should be sufficient to generate a symlink to the yad binary called "zenity" to make existing zenity dialogs work with Yad, and we could use all the new features in future projects and script updates.

If backwards compatibility is not that great, probably zenity and Yad can be installed in parallel, but zenity being declared deprecated.

Does anyone have experience with Yad yet?

Daniel

Is yad pre-packaged in any arm-based distribution yet? As far as I can see only unofficial debian packages are available from the google code site. If not, it will have to be compiled, packaged and maintained specifically for the Pandora's angstrom distribution with every release. I'd say it's a nice project but not mainstream enough yet to be included as an official add-on package. Others may find its advantages will outweigh the work to include it. More opinions anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did a quick compile in pandebian, seems to be functional in normal pandora OS, only a few issues such as an extra item being added to one of my list dialogs for some reason. Also, because I only compied the binary you may see some output complaining about an icon being missing.

Download:

Attachments

• yad.tar.gz
    309.9 KB · Views: 194
Here is a fresh compilation, using codeblocks. It will be in next codeblocks PND, but here are the bin and share folder to use it in PND...

Attachments

• yad.tar.gz
    868 KB · Views: 189
Back