Xump V1.05

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
xump-level03.jpg

XUMP is a puzzle game for the GP32 by Psilocybin Development.

Changes for v1.05 (23/09/2005)
* Final amount of levels = 32
* Improved graphics
* New modes (easy/difficult)
* Various small fixes

Attention

You are encouraged to send bug reports. If no bugs are found, this will be the very final release and the project will be considered as done. For bug reports use the GP32x release threat, or write to the adress, given in the donation section.

http://www.psilocybindev.org/

The one thing I didn't like from the previous version was the time limit on how long you could stand in one place, and also the fact that there was no button that would undo a move... that sort-of forces the player to try to solve the entire puzzle in their head before even moving one step, and it can be quite off-putting... I'd much prefer it if I could just move a certain way forward in the puzzle, then stop on a blue block and think "ok, that's done, now on to the next phase" - as it is right now I can't do that. :( It's a thinking game that doesn't give me enough time to think...

Anyway, I'm going to try the new version now... I'll get back to you with my impressions. :)

Well it's a mixture of puzzle elements and fast and correct movement, that's the way it is :) You can stay on grey platforms without problem, just the colored ones will disappear after a while.

The best strategy is to look a few seconds allover the level and figure out a rough way, BEFORE you move at all.

We are looking forward for more comments :)

And yes, this game is hard if you get onto higher stages and it needs good skills with the pad :)

A win32 version is in preparation, along with a GBA and DC version :)

We are looking forward for more comments and opinions

One thing that struck me ... Is there a method of quitting? Either the current level, back to the menu screen, or to reset the Geep completely to go on another game?
I tried lots of buttons, but none did it :(

As for Esn's suggestion, it could be done as 'learner' levels with lots of solid blocks ;) :p

Well, at least could you provide a countdown in the top right of the screen or something that counts down until the block dissappears? It's very scary without one - I basically never know how long I have until the block deneath dissappears and there's no visual indication.

Oh, and (I know you hate me saying this) a save feature would be nice. ;)

Esn posted on Sep 26 2005 at 02:02 AM said:
Well, at least could you provide a countdown in the top right of the screen or something that counts down until the block dissappears? It's very scary without one - I basically never know how long I have until the block deneath dissappears and there's no visual indication.

Oh, and (I know you hate me saying this) a save feature would be nice. ;)

We are going to add a slight animation showing the block disappearing more and more. Also the "easy" mode is going to be easier than it is right now. If this new feature will be added, depends on the coder :) So let's hope he has a good mood today after work :) I personally think it could get Saturday/Sunday again :)

As the creators of this game grown up with games having passwords, we have the same system. save states are lame :D

PS The win32 sdl port is almost done, we already have a fully playable and funky beta :) (unreleased yet, but will be made public the next days).

As we use SDL now, we can port this game to plenty of systems :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back