Xgp - First Pictures

Wow on the 2th picture it looks smaller, maybe a newer or older version?
Like it better than the 1st pic because the 2nd reminded me more on the old Gp32
than the first...
But which specs has it got?
I heard from some posts here that it is opensource others say it isn´t opensource is there any true info?

Jarska333 posted on Aug 16 2005 at 02:34 PM said:
PinkSpider posted on Aug 16 2005 at 08:04 PM said:
http://www.gp32spain.com/reviews/xgp/xgp_02.jpg
Hmm. I dont particularly like it but the screen idea is nice.

Different buttons? :huh:

Personally, I like the black, menacing look of the XGP. :ph34r: It is a bit thick, though...

But so am I, and I'm fun to play with. :D B)
That's the version that didn't win the offline voting. The images Hando posted I got from Gamepark, so that's those are what it'll look like (provided they don't change it, of course).

And Dave, I never said that what you were saying was wrong necessarily, you just say them over and over again. I'm sure we could all recite your complaints by heart by now. ;)

Also, some of us have a thing called optimism, which is why we show interest in the XGP regardless of your (somewhat valid) complaints. It's crazy and kind of fun; you should try it some time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
PinkSpider posted on Aug 16 2005 at 07:04 PM said:
xgp_02.jpg

Hmm. I dont particularly like it but the screen idea is nice.

now i know gameparks mission:

creating an ugly, bulky, psp lookalike
with crappy commercial games
useless features (aka i-want-to-be-a-mobile-phone = ngage disastre)

now they only need to announce a cooperation with microsoft and build in drm and we're gone.

if it stays like this i don't have to worry bout buing two gp32 successors.

Attachments

• xgp_02.jpg
    xgp_02.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 156
That, that, that was totally my freakin idea(the swivelling screen)!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: Oh man, if had a patent I would sue a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

And is that another console under it or is it just fat :blink:, I think if they lost the whole mobilephone idea, made it thinner and it had a much(much, much, much)better design I would get it. MAYBE...................... :huh:

Rockin posted on Aug 16 2005 at 06:38 PM said:
Analog stick? That's great! Such thing is really usefull for 3D games. I know some people who play racing games with digital direction pad instead - crazy.

Were is the logic in saying an analog stick is bad for emulation?

Because 99.99% of all emulated games were designed to use digital controls. I wasn't talking about 3D games, I was talking about emulated stuff. I don't care about 3D, that is what the PSP is for. Playing stuff like MD and NES, Neo Geo just plain sucks with analog. It is very sloppy and imprecise and you hit diagonals when you don't want to constantly to the point of frustration. I know because I had a Zodiac and played emus with the analog and it was crap.

shinneri posted on Aug 16 2005 at 06:55 PM said:
Also, some of us have a thing called optimism, which is why we show interest in the XGP regardless of your (somewhat valid) complaints.  It's crazy and kind of fun; you should try it some time. :)

Optimism? I just go by what I see. If I don't like it I say it. I know alot of you don't like it but that is too bad. If I see something that is a potential problem like the analog, screen, etc I can't just pretend it doesn't exist and be "optimistic", that is insanity, sorry. I don't really care that much in this case though as I am not going to buy one. I would get a GPx2. I am just suprised how many like this thing with the mentioned issues, I guess not too many have tried emus with an analog yet. I just hope the dev community doesn't go with this one because of the above mentioned concerns.

did you ever think about that some people may be intrested in other things than just emulators?
The gpx2 is certainly not made for emulators, but for 3 games, and i gues thats something it may do good.

Vimacs posted on Aug 16 2005 at 09:11 PM said:
did you ever think about that some people may be intrested in other things than just emulators?
Unfortunately this is the biggest appeal of machine like this.

DaveC posted on Aug 16 2005 at 04:03 PM said:
I guess not too many have tried emus with an analog yet. I just hope the dev community doesn't go with this one because of the above mentioned concerns.
I have. I used the GC's analog stick all the time to play GBA games on my Gameboy Player, and I actually prefer it over the D-pad.

Further, the PSP's screen may not be "ideal" for emulation, but stretching SNES games (which is the only thing I've tried on the PSP) looks quite alright to me. :)

I'm indifferent to what sort of pad it is to be honest. I get used to whatever comes my way in the end. As long as the games, emulated or otherwise, are good, I dont care.

Oh, and DaveC is just the pure unadulterated voice of Cynicism - ain't that right Dave! :p

Hi all,

1) To those saying it looks shiny and crap plastic - remember its a RENDER - that means its not real :)
2) In response to:
Not sure why everyone is excited about this thing. But this is bad for the community. Half will go for this and half to the GPx2? this will fragment an already small community.
Don't you think that with the (hopefully) marketing that these systems are going to do that we will get a BIGGER community with new members? I agree it may split the community somewhat, but see (3)
3) Yes, a widescreen is worse for emulation (DaveC) but since the machine isn't marked as open source from the start, we can assume that it is not going to target emulators. Especially with a 3D chip. I don't think that this is bad - there is a market for handhelds that can play commercial games. Everyone else buy the formerly-known-as-gpx2

shinneri posted on Aug 16 2005 at 08:16 PM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 16 2005 at 04:03 PM said:
I guess not too many have tried emus with an analog yet. I just hope the dev community doesn't go with this one because of the above mentioned concerns.
I have. I used the GC's analog stick all the time to play GBA games on my Gameboy Player, and I actually prefer it over the D-pad.

Further, the PSP's screen may not be "ideal" for emulation, but stretching SNES games (which is the only thing I've tried on the PSP) looks quite alright to me. :)

Well that may be your opinion but I like 1:1 much more than all distorted. To me the distortion makes things look squashed and the pixels fuzzy and irregular, I don't know how you would actually think that looks good :blink:

pea posted on Aug 16 2005 at 10:00 PM said:
1) To those saying it looks shiny and crap plastic - remember its a RENDER - that means its not real :)
Look on gp32spain for some real images love and it still looks like a sub par design.

Saying that my xbox does and its the most used piece of technology other than my pc/ phone and tv in my house! (entertainment wise).

Also on the analogue vs digital debate on the PSX I always prefered digital to analogue to be honest.

I actually like its design. I like it alot. Its like a good version of an Ngage. You casn keep the screen from getting scratchedor you can turn it so someone elsse can see, etc etc. Plus, you wouldn't need a chatboard. However, I am not saying anything about analog or digital controls- im not sure i care, but its -preliminary- design has some great features.

DaveC posted on Aug 16 2005 at 05:20 PM said:
Well that may be your opinion but I like 1:1 much more than all distorted. To me the distortion makes things look squashed and the pixels fuzzy and irregular, I don't know how you would actually think that looks good :blink:
Blending turned on.

This looks more like the rendered one:
xgp_12.jpg

I can't understand a word spanish, though, so if someone could translate the post, it would be nice :)

Attachments

• xgp_12.jpg
    xgp_12.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 150
Well, it looks kinda interesting but i'm stilling going with the gpx2. And while I understand why many people are mad at davec he is right on almost everything he has said in this thread. I would definitely prefer digital pad for emulation, I would definately prefer a normal proportioned screen. And yes, I am worried that this will split the community.

Is there a thread that shows which developers are going to which systems? (that is, if they are continuing to develop). If there isn't I think that there probably should be because it will give everyone a good idea of what emulators/homebrew to expect on the system.

Back