X86 Emulator

I works on any computer for which you can compile c++, but it'll be way too slow to do anything useful with it. Bochs is mostly a debugging tool.

Qemu is always faster, but the arm port wasn't quite there the last time I tried.

Most x86 emus (e.g. QEMU) are only that fast because of virtualization. And you can't virtualize an x86 on an ARM.

Simon Parzer said:
Most x86 emus (e.g. QEMU) are only that fast because of virtualization. And you can't virtualize an x86 on an ARM.
a ipaq (see link) is a "StrongARM based handheld computer from Compaq".

go here to see how to install bochs on a arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon Parzer said:
Even without virtualisation Qemu is still faster. It does dynamic recompilation and tries to use the host cpu whenever possible. By contrast, Bochs reimplements each and every x86 instruction in C++ code.

the earlier poster said it wont be fast enough to do anything useful with. depends how you define useful, but I think that bochs is an excellent idea. bochs also runs on the psp. fast enough to run win95, and boot win98.

btw, doesnt qemu utilize bochs as its emulation engine anyways? I remember seeing some sort of bochs bios on qemu.

There is some bochs code in qemu, but not in the emulation engine.

enigmacipher said:
the earlier poster said it wont be fast enough to do anything useful with. depends how you define useful, but I think that bochs is an excellent idea. bochs also runs on the psp. fast enough to run win95, and boot win98.

btw, doesnt qemu utilize bochs as its emulation engine anyways? I remember seeing some sort of bochs bios on qemu.
That was a PoC project only. While it would load Win95, it was too slow to do anything useful. I read up on both the DosBox and Bochs ports for the PSP, and the performance for Bochs was abysmal. One guy managed to get Dune 2 to load under FreeDOS, and it ran at a whopping 1.3fps. That's a game which only requires a 12MHz 286 with 640K RAM, and it wasn't even close to playable.

well maybe the pandora will be powerful enough to be able to run some stuff at bearable speed?

i just wanna know... why?
dosbox will be ported, and will be FAR faster than the most optimized bochs/qemu port ever made.
i mean, i guess it would be cool to show off windows xp booting on my pandora (just for a laugh), but i cant think of any other reason a port.

I guess some people secretly wish for some wine port that uses some user space emulator to run some software.

Snu said:
i just wanna know... why?
dosbox will be ported, and will be FAR faster than the most optimized bochs/qemu port ever made.
i mean, i guess it would be cool to show off windows xp booting on my pandora (just for a laugh), but i cant think of any other reason a port.
I wanteed to do just that.

can dosbox run windows applications and games?
like starcraft or warcraft 2?

Amit said:
I have read that dobox has been tweaked in order to run 95 and starcraft. Dont count on doing this with Pandora.
Warcraft 2 is dos based and Ive run it on a PC with dosbox. Again this may be out of Pandora's reach.

For all those that think running bochs/qemu try it on the gp2x. Bochs is ported and win95 is possible to run on it, be prepared to wait a very long time.
Even though you may be able to boot up some form of windows it wont be practical and really not that impressive (well maybe it will to someone that has no clue whats going on). This stuff is just too slow.

the best you will be getting out of x86 emulation is probably mid-386, nowhere near what is required to play starcraft. there is a n64 version tho, so if an n64 emulator gets running well you have the chance of playing that one.

Pickle said:
Amit said:
I have read that dobox has been tweaked in order to run 95 and starcraft. Dont count on doing this with Pandora.
Warcraft 2 is dos based and Ive run it on a PC with dosbox. Again this may be out of Pandora's reach.

For all those that think running bochs/qemu try it on the gp2x. Bochs is ported and win95 is possible to run on it, be prepared to wait a very long time.
Even though you may be able to boot up some form of windows it wont be practical and really not that impressive (well maybe it will to someone that has no clue whats going on). This stuff is just too slow.

Their best bet would be to just try and make an emulator just for starcraft, which i admit be cool to have starcraft portable but not something I need.

Back