X86 Console!

fargo

With all advances in small motherboards and low-voltage CPUs, such as pico-ITX and VIA, do you think it is the time to have an x86 game console? Something comparable to PSX or PS2 and under $150?

Xbox is not x86. Something like like a set-top-box with gaming capabilities.

moz said:
lol files
I'm not sure why you said this, maybe because the $150. New PS2 is selling now for $133 and PSX for $66. The $150 is not unrealistic for an integrated x86 system if you consider mass production (in order of ten of thousands or more). Also, remember the system wont have LCD, HD, KB, etc. Just a simple small box with ports for USB joysticks, video/audio, and SD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fargo said:
Xbox is not x86. Something like like a set-top-box with gaming capabilities.
Maybe you should learn about what you're talking about before you post. Do you even know what x86 means?

Buy a mini - ITX board with integrated CPU, add 512 megs of Ram and a small HDD & DVD drive plus PSU - shouldn´t cost you more than 180 €. However then you will have shitty 3D performance.

Fargo said:
moz said:
lol files
I'm not sure why you said this, maybe because the $150. New PS2 is selling now for $133 and PSX for $66. The $150 is not unrealistic for an integrated x86 system if you consider mass production (in order of ten of thousands or more). Also, remember the system wont have LCD, HD, KB, etc. Just a simple small box with ports for USB joysticks, video/audio, and SD.

no disrespect meant, the problem is that the specifications you've mentioned are near spot on an xbox

are you looking for a windows/PC based console? or a new OS to sit it on?

If we assume you mean it to run windows games of which theres a HUGE terrific back catalog, then the machine needs windows os Expensive in licensing terms or Unix/Wine/Cedega based which would need a lot of developer time to make it stable as per a console or which the majority of games already exist.

There is a console which is like what you descibe its called Phantom which has had millions of £££/$$$ invested and nothing has appeared after years of developement time.

Most people that would want a windows based console like you describe would have the skills to make one themselves or already have a PC more than capabile.

your idea isnt stupid though, id probably look at getting one :) just do i could run BSD/Linux on it.

Oh, so Xbox is x86. I really was not aware of that as Xbox is near to non-existence here! (You know, the U.S.A. is not the world :))

Of course, the OS for such a system would be Linux based. 3D performance is the thing that would throttle such a system.

Excessive and exaggerated R&D spending would kill any product of this sort for sure. Hence, I was thinking for off-the-shelf components plus some ported and customized OS.

Back