X-COM: UFO Defense

I played more than 3 hours with the Steam data files, I can now say for sure that it works perfectly.

I played more than 3 hours with the Steam data files, I can now say for sure that it works perfectly.

OK, so I copied my steam XCOM folder contents all over into appdata/xcom1 and that didn't do it.

Exactly which part of the DOS XCOM data should go where in order for this to work?

Thanks!

OK, so I copied my steam XCOM folder contents all over into appdata/xcom1 and that didn't do it.

Exactly which part of the DOS XCOM data should go where in order for this to work?

Thanks!

I think there was another subfolder data that everything went into, the readme says everything that you need to do.

Apparently it's easier to ask people in forums instead of a single click to get the readme info.

There is no xcom documentation file in the Documentation folder where PNDs are supposed to drop it.

The xcom1 folder has a readme.txt file in it now, it was blank. The one that is in it is from Steam on how to run it in DosBox.

There is no "data" subfolder created on first-run of the xcom1.pnd file.

Apparently it's easier to ask people in forums instead of a single click to get the readme info.

Apparently it's easier to troll around with trash talk than to give a real answer too.

Thanks!

Copy "steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM\*" to "appdata/xcom1".

Thanks!

Copy "steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM\*" to "appdata/xcom1".

That fails to run.

There is no xcom documentation file in the Documentation folder where PNDs are supposed to drop it.

The xcom1 folder has a readme.txt file in it now, it was blank. The one that is in it is from Steam on how to run it in DosBox.

There is no "data" subfolder created on first-run of the xcom1.pnd file.

Apparently it's easier to troll around with trash talk than to give a real answer too.

Didn't mean to sound troll like, but half the posts here could be avoided by just clicking the Y button in Minimenu or the document menu item in xfce.

Your correct there isn't any documentation where it's normally placed.. I was under the impression it was. However when you launch Xcom without the data files it will prompt were to properly put the data and then launch a document file with more information.

Also my install did properly build the appdata directly with a sub-directory called game where everything is supposed to be placed.. perhaps your PND got corrupted on download.

so the proper directory to dump the files should be appdata/xcom1/game/

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have it figured out.

If this game is downloaded and saved into the menu folder - it fails to launch it's readme properly.

Download the xcom1.pnd into apps to get it to present it's readme.

According to the readme:

Put installed X-COM: UFO Defense game on your SD card into the following directory: pandora/appdata/xcom1/game

I'll give it a shot. Again - something weird with this when installed to the pandora/menu directory.

Yes If you slap all the steam files into the appdata/XCOM1/game folder it will run fine. As also mentioned above, each time you run it, initially without files present but even when they are, the first pop-up dialog asking how you wish to play it (control set wise) will also feature the option to "see read me" documentation which will properly explain how to use the PND with DOS files, rather than steam ones. You have to install the game via DOSBox first and then take the installed files to the same location.

I couldn't be arsed with the DOSbox method (and lacked the original disks, so I thought I'd test the Steam one and it worked first time). Its true that the PND doesnt stick any 'documentation' into the menu>documentation area though.

Edit : I ran it from the desktop, so will have missed the issue of it not providing the readme if the PND is in pandora/menu.

Sorry if this caused anyone any confusion, along with the PS1 version getting mentioned aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora is repaired so...

Have been playing this pandora version for a few hours now and it works great.

Great Work !!! Dropped the ps1 version for this one

I dropped the pnd in the menu folder so no readme for me...

Is the music absent in this version. Sound effects work but it seems there is no music ?

Most welcome. Its one of those things you dont always re-remember to apply after a repair/fresh OS install etc, same goes for Codec pack and Java etc :)

I have tried to run under the super zaxxon 1.5 beta 2 experimental kernel (3.2) - it crashes in the tactical part, as soon as you make a move..

standard kernel (in the new firmware) seems to work (5 min test at least...)

anyone else seen this?

i have the same problem in tactical, i get a few turns at most before the game crashes and assumes I won and get full rewards. Im using the gold version of both ufo defense and terror from the deep

i got the xcom ps1 version. 1 of 2 games i bought w/the psx back in 1995! the only major complaint i have w/that version is the LONG loading times!! damn it takes forever. then i have issues w/the controls. sometimes my soldiers would turn w/out my permission. tactical fights are slow. saving the game during tactical missions takes long time. i rather play xcom on pc

Back