X-COM: UFO Defense

Disco Devil

Still Fresh
Has anyone here tried this yet (and the PS1 version which i bought cheaply recently) and if so what are the differences, im guessing the PS1 will be less convoluted control wise (button shorcuts etc) do they both have exactly the same content..? it's ages since i fired this up.

In theory, the PS1 version would be more convoluted. Squeezing a whole keyboard onto a gamepad. Right. :)

In theory, the PS1 version would be more convoluted. Squeezing a whole keyboard onto a gamepad. Right. :)

Not necessarily, depends entirely on how intelligently (or not) the control mapping is done.

Having said that i'm not sure if the PS1 version used L/R2, only one way to find out i suppose (especially since it's almost impossible to find the DOS version)

EDIT:

An update (sigh!) for those that have the PS1 version, yet another of my games that load but i can't start due to none of the controls responding (tried img, iso, bin/cue etc) i do hope that future updates of ReARMed will fix these issues.. anyone know if psx4pandora has similar problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
If i remember correctly, my ps1 version of ufo worked correctly on my pandora.

Problem with the ps1 version are the controls when playing missions. When you move the controller to the edge of the screen, the screen to let the screen scroll, it just keeps scrolling or is at best difficult to get the screen exactly where you want it.

This give frustrating gameplay. When i emulate on pc the problem is also there...

I never played the game on real hardware, maybe the controls behave the same way...

No way to test my Pandora version anymore... Panda ... Dead .... Rma

i played it using http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xcom1_sr

and it work great. although some control are a bit annoying. for instance in right handed mode, touching the display in tactical will cause the unit to move, and shift(Lbutton) + touch just move the mouse. it is incredibly annoying to accidently move your soldier because you released L for a sec >< heh. if i could figure a way to invert that behavior, i would be in paradise !.

on hotfix 6, im having issues with notaz sdl (colors are way off, black is green along the most visible artefacts), but setting it to no in the ufo config fixed that

isnt it x-com gold edition ? if so its not the dos version, but the windows port (based on the win95 port from back then).

i love the fact that i kept all my old games cd/floppy XD. although i had to patch my x-com to 1.4, it worked great haha.

It doesn't say gold edition but you are probably right. I didnt check the details when I first posted that but I note it says XP/Vista supported, so I doubt that's DOSbox based. Do you think it'll be possible to pull out the required files and patch those instead?

I'll probably buy it to test this at that price, as sadly I didn't have a PC when this did the rounds back then.

well, if i had already bought a game, and it's not exactly the right version, i would have no moral issues downloading the correct version off the internet somewhere. Not even illegal in some countries either.

But that's a different subject, don't want to start a legality debate, really...

And about the game, i find it totally awesome on the Pandora! Yes i also had a few clicking issues in combat mode my first few fights, but then i just got careful ;)

Just to report back, the Steam version for £2.99 works just fine, simply dump the whole folder of files into the XCOM1/game folder and it boots fine :) Thanks for the again very polished port, I shall hope to have enough time to check this out properly.

it work perfectly at 800mhz (i didnt try at lower speed, except 125mhz due to a glitch in my low power mode XD). 125mhz was laggy but even then, playable (enough for me to endure it for over an hour before realising my cpu was underclocked lol).

I really enjoyed Pocket UFO, the remake of XCOM for arm based pdas. It had some changes to make it more touch screen friendly and had better graphics than the dos version.

Unfortunately it's only available for Windows Mobile 2003, it's closed source, and the developers vanished years ago.

Just to report back, the Steam version for £2.99 works just fine, simply dump the whole folder of files into the XCOM1/game folder and it boots fine :) Thanks for the again very polished port, I shall hope to have enough time to check this out properly.

Really? If it works I will glady buy it as I played it to death, it is worth it even if I never play it anymore.

EDIT: Just bought the Steam version, seems to work fine.

Not necessarily, depends entirely on how intelligently (or not) the control mapping is done.

Having said that i'm not sure if the PS1 version used L/R2, only one way to find out i suppose (especially since it's almost impossible to find the DOS version)
You're right, it's called, "controls optimized for consoles".

DAMN I love this game! I am up at 2am because I couldn't put it down! Skyooz me while I scamper off to play some more! :)

So - for those of us with the DOS version and a wonky DosBox controls that make it impossible to play - we're still stuck. Right?

You guys know that M_HT released his static recompiled version of X-COM for pandora, if you have the dos data check it out.

OK... So it runs native then? Or is it in a PS1 emulator? The above thread has a bunch of PS1 references (I don't have a PS1 nor the emulator installed.)

Can someone give me a quick walk through on how to install this then? Is there a PND for it?

Thanks!

You guys know that M_HT released his static recompiled version of X-COM for pandora, if you have the dos data check it out.

OK... So it runs native then? Or is it in a PS1 emulator? The above thread has a bunch of PS1 references (I don't have a PS1 nor the emulator installed.)

Can someone give me a quick walk through on how to install this then? Is there a PND for it?

Thanks!

It runs native with the original data files using this PND which was mentioned some where near the top of this thread.

Also yes there is a PS1 version of the game that would play with a PS1 emulator.

Back