Would you still continue to eat meat (please refer to opening post for more details)?

Would you still continue to eat meat (please refer to opening post for more details)?

• Total voters

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Would you still continue to eat meat (that is if you're not a vegetarian or vegan like many of us aren't) if you knew the truth about the Animal cruelty that goes on in many of the slaughter houses around the globe?

You see, 'my mate', who is a huuuuuuuuge Animal lover and Animal activist is highly considering becoming a vegetarian or vegan now...this happened after watching an extremely graphic and disturbing *video that showed some of the Animal cruelty that had occurred in many of the slaughter houses around the globe (past/present scenes).

* This particular video is highly explicit and cannot be linked or embedded anywhere in this thread, so please send me a pm if you'd like to view the exact vid in question.

Stop-Animal-Cruelty-animal-rights-5325341-400-298.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you still continue to eat meat (that is if you're not a vegetarian or vegan like many of us aren't) if you knew the truth about the Animal cruelty that goes on in many of the slaughter houses around the globe?

I used to work in the wholesale animal slaughter industry, and have seen pretty much everything they do. And yes, I do love me some chicken. Or a steak. And my, aren't sausages just sooooo edible?

D.

I've seen a video like that (maybe the same one), and have been a vegetarian for years.

I've seen videos like that, and did a presentation in Speech class.

I don't really like the taste of meat, but you know how parents are. "Oh you need protein" so I end up sponsoring a lot of cow cruelty. Well, they do, because they pay.

Also not sure about french fries. Do most restaurants use lard or something? Sometimes I've had potato products that taste like meat, which is fucking weird.

So, yeah, the poll doesn't seem to have an option for "I was already kind of a vegetarian but then the videos just reinforce that choice."

Except you can't really choose taste. It would be great if I liked the taste of coffee, because I already like the smell and the caffeine, but I can't force myself to like something. Wish my parents would understand that.

I bloody well hate animals. I'd kill them and eat them quite happily, they are delicious.

My girlfriend however hates animals too, to the point where she won't eat them as she thinks they are disgusting and filthy.

Apart from fish, they are apparently clean.

Your gf is one of a kind, mate.

So, yeah, the poll doesn't seem to have an option for "I was already kind of a vegetarian but then the videos just reinforce that choice."

Except you can't really choose taste. It would be great if I liked the taste of coffee, because I already like the smell and the caffeine, but I can't force myself to like something. Wish my parents would understand that.
I've added a new poll option for you.

I'm eating less and less meat in my diet. I really think that our meat consumption has exploded over the last century, and that meat production has gone totally crazy to fulfill our consumer "needs". I generally don't see those kinds of videos because they just make me sick. But at the same time they help people realizing chicken or beef don't end up magically into their plates, and that a lot of blood and violence are implied in this process.

So thanks for sharing, Nintendo.

I'm eating less and less meat in my diet. I really think that our meat consumption has exploded over the last century, and that meat production has gone totally crazy to fulfill our consumer "needs". I generally don't see those kinds of videos because they just make me sick. But at the same time they help people realizing chicken or beef don't end up magically into their plates, and that a lot of blood and violence are implied in this process.

I'm almost positive that the suffering makes the meat more tender, more delicious. People have said though that if an animal is treated well, the meat will be better. I'd disagree with that; I'd love to eat a burger made from a cow that was terrified out of its wits just before it died.

D.

I'd love to eat a burger made from a cow that was terrified out of its wits just before it died.

Then I suppose your wish was granted a long time ago, because that's exactly what we are all eating on a daily basis.

Whats life but a way to keep meat fresh? :D

I know what happens for animals to end up on my plate. Doesn't bother me, though talking animals in films make me crave meat.

Well considering how the same animals would be killed and eaten in the wild, I would say "yes".

i love my planet earth, so i try to eat the stuff the ruins the ozone with its methane, (cow farts) while you jackass vegans are eating away the only thing that makes the air better, you people make me sick.

not eating meat because of the way the animals get treated is about as retarded as not going to war because of the way people get treated in it, and makes about as much sense as not having sex because youve seen a video of a woman get raped.

I bloody well hate animals. I'd kill them and eat them quite happily, they are delicious.

My girlfriend however hates animals too, to the point where she won't eat them as she thinks they are disgusting and filthy.

Apart from fish, they are apparently clean.

But... fish eat other fish's poo...

As for me, I've seen some pretty terrible stuff regarding this. About every animal rights video showing horrible conditions in slaughterhouses, documentaries, and TV shows metioning it (This American Life did a good one). I've tried to stop eating meat, but I've never actually said "okay, this is it. No more". I've never stuck to it.

I don't know how to go about the whole 'meat thing' but I can say one thing:

You cannot choose your dietary preferences based on a video that is only interested in appealing to your emotions.

A lot has been said about "Meat: to eat or not to eat", there are some issues on it, one should be the ideological thing, which to me is bullshit,

and there's the nutritional/health discussion. on the first issue I have some assumptions on it:

1. We are animals, we are not above the food chain, when we die, any animal that has a chance will eat us, including worms, ants , etc...

2. A cow is really a "sacred animal" because it serves the industry with is whole body, from head to toes, and IMHO, these slaughter houses videos are not the standard way of making meat from cows, unless I get data that shows me that the majority of meat industry treats the animals badly, wich I still think isn't true. Overall, a cow is a docile animal that has lived her life, and, at the end, served to feed a bunch of humans, and make a whole chain of products, not only meat.

3. People that think they will save animals negating meat consumption are full of bullshit in my opinion, because they still use products that they don't even realise comes from the same industry, so is more a hype than everything... I could be wrong of course, please explain.

Now on the dietary/health issue:

1. We need B12 vitamins, these are really important for brain function and that is only obtainable through animal origin, of course a vegetarian could live well by taking vitamin pills, and even meat eaters could benefit from vitamin pills, if their dietary habits are not fulfilling it.

2. I think we eat too much meat on our diets... I try to eat a little less, but I won't stop eating it every day, not right now and not for the reasons I have so far.

3. Biggest problem I see with meat is not meat itself, but the quality of it, well... you know, hambugers... sausages... a chicken breast has much more proteins and vitamins and less fat... well quality excels in everything, meat is not an exception... choose them well

please, lets make a healthy discussion on the topic, everyone is free to disagree

i love my planet earth, so i try to eat the stuff the ruins the ozone with its methane, (cow farts) while you jackass vegans are eating away the only thing that makes the air better, you people make me sick.

not eating meat because of the way the animals get treated is about as retarded as not going to war because of the way people get treated in it, and makes about as much sense as not having sex because youve seen a video of a woman get raped.
Why do you have to be agressive for every point you're attempting to make? Are your arguments so poor you have to yell them?

Frankly your analogies don't really make much sense, especially the rape one. Oh and by the way, the cows farting issue is exactly the other way around: that's because we have to raise so much cattle that this has become a problem for ozone. Yeah, cows are farting while becoming adult animals to be eaten, do you really think they pop out of the blue?

Anyway, that's strange to see the tone of the posts in this thread, as if people were feeling threatened by the idea of losing meat in their plate. I'm not a vegetarian myself, I'm just reducing it in my diet so it seems more reasonable to me. But the whole point of this is: are we so irresponsible consumers that we don't care at all of the way products come to us in our great supermarkets? Are we so selfish that animal treatment can't even concern us, even a little bit, as soon as we have our greasy hamburgers in our hands?

We see each day that people's opinion is more and more powerful. Only 20 years ago, ecology wasn't certainly as globally accepted as today, and I suppose that if 20 years ago, someone had raised the ecology issue, he would have received the kind of agressive replies we see today on this (related) topic... So we have the power today to tell the meat industry that we care about animals and the way they are treated, and even if we don't want to totally stop eating meat, I believe it's important for us to do it in the most responsible and intelligent way.

So will I stop eating meat tomorrow? I don't think so, at least for now. Will I favourize producers who treat animals in a decent way, rather than barbarians considering animals like crap, sure I will...

Peace

Frederic

Oh and by the way, the cows farting issue is exactly the other way around: that's because we have to raise so much cattle that this has become a problem for ozone. Yeah, cows are farting while becoming adult animals to be eaten, do you really think they pop out of the blue?

No, of course not - we grow them so we can have burgers.

are we so irresponsible consumers that we don't care at all of the way products come to us in our great supermarkets? Are we so selfish that animal treatment can't even concern us, even a little bit, as soon as we have our greasy hamburgers in our hands?

Look, I don't use supermarkets for my meat-intake, I go to a proper butcher's. And of course I'm concerned about the treatment of the animals. Did you know that Cows are, in general, about as intelligent as a dog? They can be loyal, affectionate, and have even been shown to have a sense of humour and rudimentary society. All this adds up to the fact that if you mistreat a cow, then the meat is adversely affected - and that's just not on. Steaks and Burgers should be as yummy as possible.

we have the power today to tell the meat industry that we care about animals and the way they are treated

Absolutely, for reasons detailed above. I want my meat in as perfect a condition as I can get, naturally. What we really need to do is to come up with some way of stunting their mental activity while allowing them to grow good meat. That way we could easily pack many more into smaller spaces. We need to do this - there's a food crisis looming, and there's not enough cows to kill.

D.

I'm almost positive that the suffering makes the meat more tender, more delicious. People have said though that if an animal is treated well, the meat will be better. I'd disagree with that; I'd love to eat a burger made from a cow that was terrified out of its wits just before it died.

D.
I have to vouch for the being kind to animals makes them taste better. I grew up on a farm where we had anywhere from 4-20 head of beef cattle at any time. When we ate cows that we raised as calves the meat was great but when we ate cows raised by their mothers it was not as good. I think human interaction helps the taste, well, as long as it is kind interaction.

I also live in an area where hunting is common, ask anyone who hunts, when the deer, elk, or whatever, is killed with a a single bullet quickly the meant has a much much better flavor. When the animal is wounded and stays alive for even a few minutes the meat will taste like crap. I'm not sure why but the theory is that adrenaline changes the taste. Some say it even affects if it is tender or not but I don't think there is any difference there. This is also why a good butcher is not someone that cuts meat well but can kill the animal quickly.

Since I grew up eating cows we raised, which were raised eating green grass from our irrigated fields, not range, and in the winter they ate the same grass bailed, I'm a little spoiled when it comes to beef or mammal meat in general. I don't even like hamburgers, if chicken is on the menu that is what I get. I am usually disappointed even when I go to steak houses. Everyone thinks I'm weird for going to a steak house and not getting steak but I ate so much of it when I was a kid it is like wine to me, I'm very picky.

EDIT: Oops, forgot what this thread was about. Two things get to me more than anything else in movies: Kids being mistreated and animals getting mistreated. Kids getting killed also does but animals getting killed not so much, if it was in self defense or the animal was killed by a hunter or butcher I don't mind, just killing animals to be killing them does get to me. If I found out that any company was mistreating animals I would not buy their products.

Also, I think it is safer to buy meat products directly from farmers, that way you can see how they raise their animals. If it is in feeding lots rather than a farm then it is not healthy and you should eat as little of that kind of meat as possible.

It would be a perfect world if everyone saw the animal they were eating when it was alive and what kind of condition it was in. I don't even think this would raise the number of people that turn vegetarian or vegan, but it would prevent animal abuse. Who would want to give money to someone who abuses animals?

A lot of the people who read the Dailymail.co.uk website seem obsessed with animals, putting them above humans when you look at the number of votes and comments on stories involving some stupid beast being killed.

I find it hilarious how a dead bear in some Zoo last week made headlines over dead children.

That bear would have killed and eaten those children.

I'm one of those scary people that's awfully nice and attentive - helpful and genuine... but when the world ends and all our systems of 'control' break down... theres every chance I'll be hunting YOU. In the nicest possible way of course! :p

I'll be your best friend till the end of your days... JK ...

I'll target humans that deserve it (almost everyone), and vegetarians.

Herbivores DO taste better... carnivores are just.. rank.

This is my response to 'Animals have feelings too!'

Humans ARE animals and I'm not squeamish.

I'm not all that fond of humans to begin with... So if I can catch you and keep you out of sight, I probably won't eat you all at once. ;)

For the record I have never tasted human, and I have never killed anyone.

But...

Some further points of my disturbing psyche:

If it was legal to sell human meat... I.e. Buy a burger with a human patty I *would* try it. If it tasted good, I would have no problem eating it on a regular basis.

I consider eating plant matter just as 'horrific' as eating flesh. You are consuming life. Plants have feelings too BTW. If you have a problem with eating meat - you have a problem with physical existence. Period. If you disagree you simply haven't explored the issue to it's full extent.

Welcome to Hell. This is it. That is why we endlessly consume each other - and I'm not just talking about physically.

If we could fully realize the horrors of this reality, I don't think we could imagine anything worse... we are remarkably inventive.

Funnily enough this has ceased to bother me.

Especially since I've come to realize and accept that the most terrible things I can imagine - actually come from within me. :rolleyes:

Since realizing this, it has become blatantly obvious to me that nobody is innocent - regardless of their degree of self-denial. Most of the time I pretend *not* to see through people. Life is just easier that way. ;)

Back