Would you still continue to eat meat (please refer to opening post for more details)?

Would you still continue to eat meat (please refer to opening post for more details)?

• Total voters

A lot of the people who read the Dailymail.co.uk website seem obsessed with animals, putting them above humans when you look at the number of votes and comments on stories involving some stupid beast being killed.

I find it hilarious how a dead bear in some Zoo last week made headlines over dead children.

That bear would have killed and eaten those children.
Kids die everyday, bears in zoos die not so often. I think more people paid attention to the bear in the zoo dying than they would have kids dying. Also, if the bear died next to the Rocky Mountains said kids probably would have been more news worthy but a bear dying in a zoo probably happened in a place where people don't' see them as often.

Looking at it from that perspective I can see why the bear dying was bigger news than kids dying.

Apart from it's just a bear?

On the subject of human meat, I've always thought that if I ever had to have an arm or leg amputated I'd request they kept it fresh so I could cook and try eating it.

Through evolution we as humans are omnivores, which means we're supposed to eat meat. Vegetarianism/veganism in and of themselves aren't wrong, just unnatural. The protein from meat is what gave us these nice big brains, yet we have the intestines of herbivores. Evolution made us a certain way so I'll choose to stay that way, steak and potatoes with a side of sauteed string beans for me! Unfortunately, hunting isn't practical for most people these days so there's not much choice of where to get your meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stressed meat is bad meat, that's why I eat meat from my butcher.

He sells great, tender and juicy meat.

The "animals lovers" like peta are too extreme and they makes me want to eat a big fat rare steak just in front of them.

Or a lobster, lately they made a lot of actions against the lobsters in restaurants.

Oh boy, what a controversial topic.

I eat meat, but I try not to eat a lot of it. Part of it's idealogical, but it's mostly the taste and desire to better balance my diet. You can't eat meat and starches all the time. "omni" means "everything", and we're omnivores. We can eat almost anything that's edible on this planet, aside from some poisonous plants and animals, since we lack natural antitoxins.

I think organizations like PETA have a good idea on paper, but their implementation is crap. Instead of being dramatic and aggressive, why not suggest different ways meat producers can continue their business but be more humane in their treatment? As for those who value humans above all else, I feel sorry for any pets you might have owned. The thing that sets humans apart from other animals is the ability to empathize. If you can't empathize, then you are not human; you're merely a highly advanced ape.

That said, I don't mind meat, aside from the fact its taste comes primarily from its blood and urine. Yes, urine. Remember, when an animal dies, all its bodily functions cease. This includes the kidneys and liver, which filter toxins from the body. So everytime you sit down for a steak, remember that you're savoring the taste of the cow's urine. :3

Love meat. Love animals, too, they should be treated as well as possible in as clean of conditions as possible. I have to admit that meat from the local butcher tastes better than grocery store meat, could just be in my head though...

The only meat I avoid isn't even allowed to be called meat "mechanically recovered meat".

You'll find it in most of Tesco's value meat products.

Why vegetarians eat fish... last time I checked eyes, brain, and reaction makes them animals.

Also why do vegetarian foods have additives to make them taste like meat? Except that evil tofu stuff.

[…]

That said, I don't mind meat, aside from the fact its taste comes primarily from its blood and urine. Yes, urine. Remember, when an animal dies, all its bodily functions cease. This includes the kidneys and liver, which filter toxins from the body. So everytime you sit down for a steak, remember that you're savoring the taste of the cow's urine. :3

You're slightly wrong, if someone have urine in his blood stream he is pretty messed up
wink.gif

What you were talking about is UREA, not urine.

Urea is one of the components of urine, but it's not urine in itself.

Note to those that eat kindeys: you're REALLY eating urine!

yep i eat meat every day, i'm sort of a carnivore,

my meat comes from my butcher only, or i kill it myself from time to time (oxes/chicken).

kisses

Mac

I eat meat, but I try to make sure it comes from happy cows. Or, well, happy before someone decided to eat them. So, local farmers and local butchers tend to get my monies.

I love fluffy bunnies, so nice in a pie with red wine sauce.
This is something I really don't understand, meat is supposed to go in burgers, not pies.

Pies are for fruit.

Why vegetarians eat fish... last time I checked eyes, brain, and reaction makes them animals.

Also why do vegetarian foods have additives to make them taste like meat? Except that evil tofu stuff.
I can't imagine why they would, unless they're really stupid and also a vegetarian.

And I just eat noodles and stuff, because they taste good. I guess there's some people who are really in it for morals, but like the taste, so they want added "Meat flavor".

I don't think anything could ever stop me eating meat. The way I see it these animals are bred purely for the meat industry, not eating them would make thier existence futile and meaningless. I'd see "animal cruelty" as simply being the case of humans thinking that their place in the food chain is at the top, and it isn't. In my opinion being Vegetarian/Vegan is a social choice rather than a biological one and I respect that but I would also like that you respect my choice to eat meat. Whenever someone mentions the cruelty of the meat industry I always point out that this cruelty is nothing compared to the cruelty of nature itself. I'd say just be glad that we kill animals before we eat them, some other animals aren't so nice to their prey.

"The point is, You are alive when they start to eat you." - Dr Alan Grant ;)

That bear would have killed and eaten those children.

Reminds me of something I heard on TV last night: mosquitoes and all the nasty diseases spread by them, such as malaria, are in jungles for a reason -- to tell you not to go there. Likewise, there aren't many opportunities for a British kid to get savaged by a bear... unless they're taken out of their natural habitat and put in a zoo.

I'm of course, against animal cruelty, but animals lives aren't as important as humans' lives. I wouldn't use that to justify such things as destroying natural habitats for resources though.

Would you still continue to eat meat (that is if you're not a vegetarian or vegan like many of us aren't) if you knew the truth about the Animal cruelty that goes on in many of the slaughter houses around the globe?

You see, 'my mate', who is a huuuuuuuuge Animal lover and Animal activist is highly considering becoming a vegetarian or vegan now...this happened after watching an extremely graphic and disturbing *video that showed some of the Animal cruelty that had occurred in many of the slaughter houses around the globe (past/present scenes).

* This particular video is highly explicit and cannot be linked or embedded anywhere in this thread, so please send me a pm if you'd like to view the exact vid in question.

Stop-Animal-Cruelty-animal-rights-5325341-400-298.jpg

I recommend you watch a movie called Super Size Me, and then directly after that watch a movie called Fat Head.

I guarantee you will change your views on eating meat, and realize that most of what you know about food is lies.

I love meat! I agree animals should not be tortured, but most are bred to be eaten. Additives in food can be bad in the long run, but an "organic" free range animal can contain disease which can kill you or infect you instantly. I support plant life! For the people that "stick up" for animals because "they are alive" might I point out that that lettuce you're eating was also once alive, and provided more for our planet (oxygen) than say a cow or pig. Just because they can't scream doesn't mean they don't hurt!

Look, I don't use supermarkets for my meat-intake, I go to a proper butcher's.
I used to get all my meat from my grandparents farm, but they recently retired. :(

Since then, there's a butcher down the road from me, but I haven't been to the farms from whence it gets its meat, so I can't definitively vouch for their stance on animal cruelty, but the steaks don't taste stressed out.

Just eating some delicious veal.
Gor dangit Craig! How can you be so wasteful? At almost no extra cost, that veal could have grown up to have several times as much delicious meat. That's less meat that'll be available for me to eat.

The thing that bothers me about many vegetarians is the idea of the "guiltless grill". Unless the plants that went into your veggie dog were hand picked, animals died for it, cute little animals that were in the wrong place at the wrong time when the thresher ran them over. At least I admit to the animals that died for my meal instead of sweeping them under a rug. And no, I did not steal this from Madox. Two people are allowed to independently come to the same opinion.

Most vegetarians I don't have a problem with. My girlfriends ex-boyfriend is a vegetarian and we frequently hang out, go out for lunch to vegetarian places. Lots of delicious things can be made from just vegetables. There is an arguable moral high ground for a vegetarian, but saying that "no animals died for this meal" is not one of them.

One thing I never got about PETA is what do they expect us to use the animals that their sole purpose is to eat? Like beef cows, they don't produce enough milk to raise for that purpose and they're not smart enough to live in the wild. So, by not eating them we will be making them extinct. Now that I think about it beef cows only have one purpose but other animals we eat might have other purposes. Well, pigs, what will they do if no one eats them anymore? I think they could be wild, maybe, I don't know. Point is if we stopped eating animals and using their hides to make things there is no reason to even let these animals exist.

So yeah, by eating them we are insuring that they will not go extinct.

man, what is peta doing there in this thread?

don't they have some of their supporting model to photograph half nude for a campaign against fur, or don't they have an other cooking mama to sue for animal cruelity? damn, they have nothing to do there

:D

Back