Would Usb-Ethernet Work?

SirisC said:
What does "heat the brain up to 50%" mean? Using Fahrenheit, Celsius, or Kelvin would mean increasing temperature by 50% would kill anyone instantly.
Sorry I meant to say "50% of the brain." In children the effect can heat up the entire brain as they don't have a thick skull to protect them like an adult (which is still insufficient).

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Linux users seem to like these, funnily enough:

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB442Z/A

ps. http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list (still pretty bare, but a good starting point. Feel free to add your own stuff when you test it. :) )
It's not so strange that Linux users like those. That's the one I have. The main reasons for liking it is:

1: It just works. Plug it in, and it'll be immediately available as an ethernet interface for Linux. I sometimes use this when I install new computers, because whatever ethernet I/F is on the mainboard may not always have a driver for it in the distro-install kernel (too new I/F for the possibly old kernel in the distro-install, or too obscure to be included in the limited space on the CD or whatever). Apple USB Ethernet comes to the rescue. (After installation I can build a new, fresh kernel with the proper driver for the on-board Ethernet).

2: Best of all, it's easy to find. I visited every computer shop in town, and although they would sometimes list USB Ethernet dongles on their website they don't seem to keep them in stock. It's not a big-selling item for them. It's even a bit difficult to find them on netshops, at least if you don't want to order from the US or something. However, there are Apple stores almost everywhere! And, best of all, there'a certain Macbook which doesn't come with a built-in Ethernet interface, so there's a market for those Apple USB Ethernet dongles. In other words, you can always find them in the local Apple shop.

3: There's only a single Apple USB Ethernet dongle, so you don't have to worry about accidentally getting the wrong (non-working) one, because there isn't one.

4: They're quite cheap.

intense_mc said:
SirisC said:
What does "heat the brain up to 50%" mean? Using Fahrenheit, Celsius, or Kelvin would mean increasing temperature by 50% would kill anyone instantly.
Sorry I meant to say "50% of the brain." In children the effect can heat up the entire brain as they don't have a thick skull to protect them like an adult (which is still insufficient).
then what do you mean by heat, ?

intense_mc said:
Like this: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/USB300M

?
Not certain. I know the USB200M works though.

intense_mc said:
SirisC said:
Ah, well that's a bit less kook-like. But it's still meaningless (but scary sounding) unless it's quantified. Heck, concentrating on an algebra problem increases the temperature of your brain.

VRAndy said:
intense_mc said:
SirisC said:
Ah, well that's a bit less kook-like. But it's still meaningless (but scary sounding) unless it's quantified. Heck, concentrating on an algebra problem increases the temperature of your brain.

Cell phones barely heat up your brain. Your brain temperature will increase by less than 1/5 of a Celsius degree after prolonged use. Standing in the sunlight or wearing a hat heat your head up by a lot more than that. The only way the heat generated by a cell phone's radiation can cause any damage to you is if you were talking on about 80 cell phones at the absolute maximum radiation they can emit for over three hours. Even then, you would only get cataracts because your brain can disperse excess heat.

Also, I love how he said MRIs can cause DNA damage similar to X-Rays (which don't do much of anything nowadays). MRIs use non-ionizing radiation, which is not dangerous and does not cause cancer. If you really, really want to lower your cancer risks, refuse to undergo any scans other than MRIs and ultrasounds. Keep in mind, that those aren't useful for every case and doing that means that you increase your chances of dying a non-cancer related death by a significant margin. You will also have to pay more and dental work will suck.

i recently tried out quite a few usb ethernet adapters. i have yet to find one that does not work on recent kernel. (while under xp all of them needed some special driver). i think that should be no problem whatsoever.

Back