Would Usb-Ethernet Work?

intense_mc said:
Want to be sure before I buy one of these £5 ones. £30 is a little too steep for me but if it's the only way to go...
You should be able to find one of those Apple adapters for under £15.

Try to stay away from super cheap generic models (this applies to almost anything USB). They can be pretty hit or miss, even in Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
intense_mc said:
Want to be sure before I buy one of these £5 ones. £30 is a little too steep for me but if it's the only way to go...

Try to stay away from super cheap generic models (this applies to almost anything USB). They can be pretty hit or miss, even in Windows.
Ah....this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-USB-Ethernet-Adapter-100Base-TX/dp/B0012X1FAI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267142216&sr=1-2

Good find. Trying my best to live a mobile/wifi/cancer free life.

intense_mc said:
Gruso said:
intense_mc said:

Ah....this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-USB-Ethernet-Adapter-100Base-TX/dp/B0012X1FAI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267142216&sr=1-2

You realize there are all sorts of radio waves moving through your body at all times, right?

trooper said:
Defo said:
trooper said:
I`m not sure if i`d want to carry it around too much, As it is a pretty heavy device.

Spec sheet says it is (23 kg), So you may want to look for something a little bit lighter.

Trooper

They messed up the conversion, .8 oz is 23g, not kg. So its not that heavy. ;)

edit, unless that was sarcasm

Yep, That was definitely sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Trooper
well here we say the heavier the longer it last.

rabidpoobear said:
intense_mc said:
Gruso said:
intense_mc said:

You realize there are all sorts of radio waves moving through your body at all times, right?
Of course. Doesn't mean I have to contribute to it.

Hey, why not. Statistically all that wifi probably reduces your average life expectancy almost as much as a single five minute automobile ride does.

When avoiding risks, Prioritizing is key. It's always important to start by avoiding the ones with a risk level so incredibly low that statisticians and epidemiologists can't agree on whether or not the effect actually exists, even with a sample size of thousands.

A mathematician may balk at this approach, but their way is boring; it's much more fun to have interesting and exotic things to worry about.

VRAndy said:
Hey, why not. Statistically all that wifi probably reduces your average life expectancy almost as much as a single five minute automobile ride does.

When avoiding risks, Prioritizing is key. It's always important to start by avoiding the ones with a risk level so incredibly low that statisticians and epidemiologists can't agree on whether or not the effect actually exists, even with a sample size of thousands.

A mathematician may balk at this approach, but their way is boring; it's much more fun to have interesting and exotic things to worry about.

I once knew somebody who only went grocery shopping once every month because he wanted to avoid the fluorescent lights in the grocery stores. And when he went, it was always a race against time to get in and out as quickly as possible.

Grocery delivery services must be a lifesaver for that guy.

Gilrad said:
VRAndy said:

I once knew somebody who only went grocery shopping once every month because he wanted to avoid the fluorescent lights in the grocery stores. And when he went, it was always a race against time to get in and out as quickly as possible.
Hasn't he ever heard of an umbrella? :p

intense_mc said:
Trey said:
intense_mc said:
Trey said:
[*]Linux has a driver for it
Is that down to the adaptor or the Pandora?

The adapter. What's the exact brand and model of the adapter?
This is all the specs I got.

E-Solution USB to Ethernet Adaptor

- Supports 10Mbps/100Mbps N-Way Auto-Negotiation Operation
- Built-In LED for various Network Activity Indications
- Supports Wake-On LAN Function and Remote Wake Up
- USB Specification Revision 1.1 Compliant
- Supports TCP/IP, NetBEUI, IPX/SPX Protocols
- Supports USB Suspend/Resume Detection Logic, Wake-Up Frame
- Data Link rate up to 32KB at External and 2KB at Internal SRAM
- Supports WIN 98 / 2000 / XP or Higher

It's not USB 2.0. You'd have to use the OTG port with a dongle. Not worth the effort.

Trey said:
It's not USB 2.0. You'd have to use the OTG port with a dongle. Not worth the effort.

It has to be USB 2.0 to support 100Mbps

Gilrad said:
Please do not equate me to such an individual.

VRAndy said:
OBVIOUSLY. Poison will not kill you in small doses. But enough certainly will.

Cancer clusters widely reported around mobile phone masts, proven to heat the brain up to 50% after 15 minutes, body scanners' terahertz rays that can 'unzip' DNA, X-rays and MRI scans...well, those 2 are well known now. So, I would say:

VRAndy said:
'probably'
not.

intense_mc said:
Gilrad said:

VRAndy said:

Cancer clusters widely reported around mobile phone masts, proven to heat the brain up to 50% after 15 minutes, body scanners' terahertz rays that can 'unzip' DNA, X-rays and MRI scans...well, those 2 are well known now. So, I would say:

VRAndy said:
'probably'
not.
that why we will be soon all wearing those weird spandex showed on those "future movies", made out of some anti EMS
maybe bronce threads?

intense_mc said:
Gilrad said:

VRAndy said:

VRAndy said:
'probably'
not.
that why we will be soon all wearing those weird spandex showed on those "future movies", made out of some anti EMS
maybe bronce nets??

intense_mc said:

What does "heat the brain up to 50%" mean? Using Fahrenheit, Celsius, or Kelvin would mean increasing temperature by 50% would kill anyone instantly.

terahertz rays used in body scanners are less dangerous than visible light (400 to 790 terahertz)
Just looked it up, and it looks like there may be something to it due to the frequency used resonating with the DNA strands therefore capable of greater effect than the neighboring spectrum.

intense_mc said:
Cancer clusters widely reported around mobile phone masts,
The whole "Clusters" thing is BS. People can find "Clusters" for anything. Completely random numbers have "clusters". It makes a great news story to point out the five cancer "clusters" that are right next to [Some New Techno Widget] and ignore the "clusters" that are not near [Some New Techno Widget], or the [Some New Techno Widget] that have less than average cancer rates.

What you need is actual statistical analysis over a large sample. Sometimes the trend is real, (Cigarettes, Mercury in the water, Trans fats, etc.) But sometimes not (High tension power lines.)

proven to heat the brain up to 50% after 15 minutes,
Now I know you're a kook.

Back