Would Usb-Ethernet Work?

Most likely.
If its Linux compatible and USB 2.0 (high speed certified [Thanks Gruso]) then it could work (with drivers)..

:ph34r:

EvilDragon said:
Tor said:
I expect my USB-Ethernet dongle to work, as it works fine on both x86 and Beagleboard. Driver is in the standard kernel.org kernel. That should keep me going until wi-fi gets good. In the other thread I asked about a mailing list for contributing hackers, I'll ask it here too in case it gets overlooked in either long thread! :)

That does work. Some devs (like vimacs) do use that for developing, as they don't have a breakout box ;)

So ... Looks good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I`m not sure if i`d want to carry it around too much, As it is a pretty heavy device.

Spec sheet says it is (23 kg), So you may want to look for something a little bit lighter.

Trooper

Linux users seem to like these, funnily enough:

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB442Z/A

ps. http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list (still pretty bare, but a good starting point. Feel free to add your own stuff when you test it. :))

trooper said:
I`m not sure if i`d want to carry it around too much, As it is a pretty heavy device.

Spec sheet says it is (23 kg), So you may want to look for something a little bit lighter.

Trooper

LOL :D

trooper said:

Trooper

They messed up the conversion, .8 oz is 23g, not kg. So its not that heavy. ;)

edit, unless that was sarcasm

I like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162030 http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/15/buffalos-802-11n-wifi-dongle-small-in-size-tiny-in-price/

trooper said:

I calculate this device's density at about 256 g/cm[sup]3[/sup]. I wonder what it's made of.

Defo said:
trooper said:

Trooper

They messed up the conversion, .8 oz is 23g, not kg. So its not that heavy. ;)

edit, unless that was sarcasm

Yep, That was definitely sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Trooper

mali said:
Made in Germany, I'm sure.
Well, you know the Germans always make good stuff. :lol:

That Cisco one is as good as any other cheapo $5 one though right? Or are there some specs that I need to take into consideration?

intense_mc said:
That Cisco one is as good as any other cheapo $5 one though right? Or are there some specs that I need to take into consideration?

Two biggies

• USB 2.0
  • Linux has a driver for it

Trey said:
[*]Linux has a driver for it
Is that down to the adaptor or the Pandora?

Want to be sure before I buy one of these £5 ones. £30 is a little too steep for me but if it's the only way to go...

intense_mc said:
Trey said:

Want to be sure before I buy one of these £5 ones. £30 is a little too steep for me but if it's the only way to go...

The adapter. What's the exact brand and model of the adapter?

Trey said:
intense_mc said:
Trey said:

The adapter. What's the exact brand and model of the adapter?
This is all the specs I got.

E-Solution USB to Ethernet Adaptor

- Supports 10Mbps/100Mbps N-Way Auto-Negotiation Operation
- Built-In LED for various Network Activity Indications
- Supports Wake-On LAN Function and Remote Wake Up
- USB Specification Revision 1.1 Compliant
- Supports TCP/IP, NetBEUI, IPX/SPX Protocols
- Supports USB Suspend/Resume Detection Logic, Wake-Up Frame
- Data Link rate up to 32KB at External and 2KB at Internal SRAM
- Supports WIN 98 / 2000 / XP or Higher

Back