Worst week in technology

Shrike

OK this week has sucked for me and technology and i want to see if anyone can beat its suckiness.

First a fan in my PC goes, not totally broken in my opinion but my parents blame me and think the computer will explode if used. THEN my 128mb SMC breaks on me, on the day the new SNES emu comes out :angry: , then my phone stopped working a few days ago, and on sunday I had to back up 1.5gb's of stuff from the pc HD to my laptop HD...But i had lost my laplink software and cable so had to back it up 62mbs at time using a USB flash disk.

Can you beat it :p?

maybe... I was fixing my brothers comp, plugging and unplugging the kettle lead from his to mine ('cos he forgot to give me his), anyway, I plug it back into mine, there's a crackle, a stench of plastic, so I quickly unplug it. I sit and sweat for a while, turn it back on- nothing. Thinking i'd blown the fuse on the lead, I plug it back into his- it works. In mine, nothing. Starting to panic now, I begin swapping my drives into his. They don't work. My dvd rom, writer, two hard drives, all the cards. All dead. Same goes for the motherboard and power supply. So each month I start buying new components. I start with a new case/psu and mobo. All the old stuff is still dead on the new machine. Anyway, after several months of having to use my Amiga 4000 (which was refreshingly fun) I get a working PC. I move house, my girlfriend carry's my new comp down the stairs, and promptly drops it....Also I had to send my Xbox back at this time because the hard drive failed....

Many, many moons ago I bought the Commodore CDTV on it's release day for 900 euro (about 600 pound) thinking it would be the next thing in MultiMedia technology.

That same week I also bought some software for it: All dog go to heaven (a crayon progam) and Sherlock Holmes, Hounds of the baskerville (I still haven't found a single ounce of gameplay in that) for 60 euro each. :lol:

Many, many moons ago I bought the Commodore CDTV on it's release day for 900 euro (about 600 pound) thinking it would be the next thing in MultiMedia technology.

That same week I also bought some software for it: All dog go to heaven (a crayon progam) and Sherlock Holmes, Hounds of the baskerville (I still haven't found a single ounce of gameplay in that) for 60 euro each. :lol:
Wow, you win! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My computer (main source for everything) crashed, lost disc images, internet, everything you do on a pc. I later found out that my gameboy didnt have any batteries, and my ac/dc plugs for my dc was lost. The end on my cable wire for my tv came loose, then fell off. When I tried putting it back on, it broke. I tried hooking up an atari, tried for hours, then found out that its been broke for years. Out of the countless number of times I tried playing nes carts, I only got blue screens. It worked for a little bit, then just froze mid game. My phone stopped working (really old) I couldnt find my discman. The ball I was playing with went behind a piece of furnature, and it was lost. I broke my vcr a week before, so I couldnt watch movies. My parents comp had a password on it. It was raining outside. None of my friends were home. And I was sick....I was having a blast playing gamegenie on nes until the power went out...Then I layed down (awake) for a few hours then fell asleep...

Worst week in tech would probably be the one my dad's computer died 12 or more times in a row. Which was impressive.
Included spontaneous restarts, hard-drive crash, the power-supply fan dying, the CPU fan dying, the ram dying, a bitch of a TSR that got loaded with Norton Firewall that forced CPU usage up to 100% regardless of what was being done - so everything slowed. Some other bitch of a TSR that ate up ram down to 1mb free, AND a corrupt windows disk.

Oh - and the net was down inexplicably for a few days on top of that. Which was even more annoying! Not forgetting my email provider stopping receiving messages...

Beat that for a bad set of tech problems - all in 1 week!

Worst week in tech would probably be the one my dad's computer died 12 or more times in a row. Which was impressive.
Included spontaneous restarts, hard-drive crash, the power-supply fan dying, the CPU fan dying, the ram dying, a bitch of a TSR that got loaded with Norton Firewall that forced CPU usage up to 100% regardless of what was being done - so everything slowed. Some other bitch of a TSR that ate up ram down to 1mb free, AND a corrupt windows disk.

Oh - and the net was down inexplicably for a few days on top of that. Which was even more annoying! Not forgetting my email provider stopping receiving messages...

Beat that for a bad set of tech problems - all in 1 week!
Serves you right for installing windows, As we all know this is common symptoms seen by all us windows users. :D

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong...Connectix Virtual PC makes Windows XP the best OS of all time. So I can run Windows 3.1, Linux 9, and dos6 all at the same time in Windows XP. :D

I can't top any of you with my experiences, but I'll throw one in anyways.

I bought a cheap laptop running Windows 98. However I wanted to install linux over it. I grabbed my installation CDs and went ahead, but every time my distro booted, fsck complained about inodes and imagic flags. A lot. Maybe 2000 times. I held the 'y' button and fixed them all. Next boot, it complains 2000 times again ...

Much hacking later I decide it's not going to work and want to install Windows 98. Problem is, the CD I had wouldn't auto-boot. I needed to use a floppy. But the laptop only takes one or the other; you've got to restart it to switch between them. I considered installing MS-DOS on it (at this point there was absolutely nothing on the harddisks, I was using bootdisks). Much messing about later I procured a bootable Win98 install, except it didn't like the format of my harddisks.

Solution? Merge the two CDs, so that I had a bootable disk that was Second Edition. It worked, and I was able to use the disc. But installation bailed at 67%.

Eventually I was able to use the first disk to boot and start to format, then as it was waiting mid-install I swapped the CD with another. Crossing my fingers, the install went through to 100%.

However my problems weren't over - files began to disappear and new files with -8million bytes in length, made in 1920 appeared on my harddrive :) I realised there was a physical error on my HD which linux complained about, but Windows seemed to ignore until you found it out yourself :angry: I cleverly partitioned out the harddrive so that certain areas weren't partitioned at all, and haven't experienced any errors since. I must point out that the 'bad block' scan of scandisk didn't pick up any bad blocks at all :angry: :angry:

Anyways it's fixed now and I'm selling it on at a profit :D

heh, computers rule for limited amounts of time, normally the time between turning it on and a BSOD

Back