Skype - The Worst IT Support in The World?

At least I got my gaming circle to switch to Mumble on the PC and the party chat on the PS4 isn't horrendous. Outside of that I've seen little use for Skype. Well  for me that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly off topic:

I help out a couple of relatives with their PC's, all of them are on older hardware (Pentium 4's and the odd dual core machine) as they only use a PC for email, internet (ebay, amazon etc)

All of them are on Windows XP which is no longer upgraded, is there a version of linux I could move them over to that wouldn't be too traumatic?

Only requirement is that it would have to have a Skype like piece of software available for it.

Slightly off topic:

I help out a couple of relatives with their PC's, all of them are on older hardware (Pentium 4's and the odd dual core machine) as they only use a PC for email, internet (ebay, amazon etc)

All of them are on Windows XP which is no longer upgraded, is there a version of linux I could move them over to that wouldn't be too traumatic?

Only requirement is that it would have to have a Skype like piece of software available for it.
I switched to Linux Mint at the end of WinXPs support cycle after gathering some suggestions and turned my WinXP into an offline-gaming-OS, still seems to be the best way.

There should be a port of Skype for Linux (which I never used) and several alternatives.

Go with Linux Mint with Mate. Imho this is best for Windows changers. If Mate is too slow, install XFCE.

Skype is an insecure piece of s**t.

It's even forbidden in university research in France, long before M$ bought it.

Why in the world somebody wants to use it when he could use SIP software ?
Wrong! Don't you see all the posts above? It's so secure that people couldn't even log in. ;)

Data security is easy. All you need is a pair of wire cutters and a big lead box :p

When they merged MSN an Skype together I wanted to have separate profiles, the result was an EMPTY Skype profile and ANOTHER EMPTY MSN profile...

I lost everything from both of them... so I deleted one of them... but at the end I uninstalled skype...

Back