Wizznic! Released

DusteD

Still Fresh
Website
dusted.dk
The goal is that of Puzznic, to move bricks about the level in order to destroy all bricks.
It's a fairly simple game, it could use more levels, which the author hopes the community will help create.

Download here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizznic/files/

Screenies, and more info here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizznic/

Cool remake man. :)

A relax music in game would be great. :)

Edit:I have beaten the game :D

17047 and 2 lives left is my best at the moment. :)

Now maybe i should go outside and enjoy the nice weather and the nature. :D

This remake deserves a donation. :)

-Quoth the Raven, nevermore :p

Rivroner said:
Cool remake man. :)

A relax music in game would be great. :)

Edit:I have beaten the game :D

17047 and 2 lives left is my best at the moment. :)

Now maybe i should go outside and enjoy the nice weather and the nature. :D

This remake deserves a donation. :)

-Quoth the Raven, nevermore :p

Awesome! Thank you for the kind words! :)
I'm working on an ingame level-editor so, in a not too distant future, there's going to be plenty of levels :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You are welcome. :)

Thnak you very much for the future level editor, that would be awesome. ^_^

New release :) Get it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizznic/files/

This release adds two features:
An in-game user-level selector/editor. This is accessed by starting a new game, pressing MENU, and choosing "User Levels" in the menu.
The main level-selector shows who made the level, to encourage people to make levels for official-inclusion ;)

Here's the Readme entry for the level-editor:
2.1 How to make new levels
Levels are by far the most important aspect of this game, and everyone can do it!

Start a new game, press Menu, select "User Levels", and select "Create".
Use A and B to select brick-type (you can see the brick in the left cornor).
Move the cursor around with the DPAD, press X to place a brick. Press Y to delete a brick.
When you are done with your level, press SELECT to save it. Then press MENU to exit.
Now your level is in the list of user-levels, select it and press Y to play.

If you made a good level, you should tweak it's settings, (time, author name, and (optional) theme).
Ofcause you can just leave the name at "Unknown" if you don't want to tell the world who made that awesome
level. - To tweak the settings, open your level, it is in the wizznic/data/userlevels/ directory, open it
with a simple text-editor like Kate/Nano/Vi (Unix/Mac) or "Wordpad MFC"/Notepad++ (Windows).

The lines in the level-file must be less than 32 characters, they are as follows:
Author
Time in seconds
path/name to background image (inside wizznic/data/themes/)
path/name to theme (inside wizznic/data/themes)
The next 11 lines are the level data.

Okay, so you made a level! Great! Now the final step is to submit your level for inclusion in future
releases of the game, please do this, as it will help make the game more enjoyable for everyone!

------------------------------------
2.2 How to submit a level for inclusion in future releases
It's really easy, as you know, your level is placed in wizznic/data/userlevels/ and is called something like "userlevel0.wzp"
Simply go to this address:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=286702&atid=1216626

And attach your level-file to the tracker-item.

Thank you! :)

I updated mine with the first 30 levels of the NES version (adapted to 5 tiles) and built an Amiga tileset for a retro look.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,2815

I'll end up doing more in a while. Playtested and working. Enjoy.

I used to play this for hours on the spectrum, excellent remake. :)
One thing I've noticed though, when you complete a level the time left gets added to your score, sometimes this goes a bit jerky and 'Out Of Time' appears. :(
Cheers, Neil

...and could any custom level sets go into a different folder (with a seperate save for high scores & progress) within the levels folder?
(So you can choose which set of levels you want to play)
I just had to overwrite the original levels with the above NES ones, and the game still thinks I've cleared the first 10 levels!

bman:
Hey, nice job!

Neil L:
I've solved the problem with the count-down being weird, it was a trivial bug that made it appear as if more blocks might be left, when the movers were.. moving :p

I'll look into a nice way to handle multiple level "sets" I didn't anticipate those for some reason..

A new release will come later in this week :)

Sorry, I've just noticed another bug: Sometimes the game comes up with 'Game Over' at the start of the level, I think this is something to do with the 'restarts' countdown.
(Is this needed because when you restart your score is reset to zero anyway!)
Cheers, Neil :)

Neil L said:
Sorry, I've just noticed another bug: Sometimes the game comes up with 'Game Over' at the start of the level, I think this is something to do with the 'restarts' countdown.
(Is this needed because when you restart your score is reset to zero anyway!)
Cheers, Neil :)

Hi, thank you for reporting; I think you're talking about the situation where:
1. You enter a level (because, to get to the menu, you need to start a level and press pause/menu)
2. You press MENU soon after, and do whichever you want (ie. going to the user-levels/editor)
3. It will return to the game wich cleans up (this you can't see), and then shows the option screen.

This behaviour is the result of a particularly bad design decision on my part (game-code not being able to directly tell the menu-code what to do, and the other way around).
I'll correct this "stupid" behaviour in time :)

If this is not the case, can you come up with a list of steps that is needed to reproduce the bug?

Best Regards
Jimmy

For all of you (all two) eagerly waiting for Wizznic 0.6, here's a teaser :) It does a really bad job showing off the awesome improvements, but well..
I'll get it done by the next week.. It's not that it's overly buggy, I'm just lazy..
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBHI5PSBLI

Wizznic 0.6 (The less buggy version) is now out :)

I also converted bman's NES levels to 0.6 compatible file-format. (Yes, you still have to replace the data-files, I couldn't get the "pack" support ready for this release, it's first priority for 0.7)
There's quite a few new levels in this release.

Download for Wiz: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizznic/files/Gp2X%20Wiz%20Releases/wizznic_06b-WIZ.zip/download
Download source (and precompiled 32bit linux binary): https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizznic/files/Source%20Releases/wizznic_06b-SRC.tar.bz2/download
Download for Windows: (When I get to a windows-machine).

Here is the changelog:
0.6a:
Cool Stuff:
Support for 10 brick types, one-way floors and glue. (Each field on board is now two bytes, breaks old levels)
Timer now stops when a level is completed.
If you make the level unsolvable (if there is only one of a type of brick lefty) you die.
Particle system.
Tweaked cursor-control speed.
Falling bricks "magnet" a moving brick if it's close enough, instead of landing of it, and then sliding off.
perl script to convert existing levels into the new format. (./lvlconvert.perl levelfile.wzp) (I will convert your levels for you if you want me to)
Cursor magnets to bricks moving away or into it's current position (makes it easier to grab bricks on a mover)
Cursor no longer locks up if you click grab while it's moving from one brick to another.
Couple of interesting puzzles contributed by MKL.
Fixed countdown bug when plaform is moving.
Fixed subtracting time after level complete
Cursor-Locked image.
Game won't crash if a level-png is not found, it shows "No Image" instead.
Boring stuff:
PC version now sets Icon and Window title
When not finding optional gfx, tells that it's optional.
Moved the updatelevelpreviews generator to tools/ and gave it appropiate name
Minor code cleanup (Draw now uses the defined offsets for sprites)
levelEditor now frees memory on exit.
Uses circular brick selection in level-editor.
Changed windows-version .exe to the correct name.
Added -thumbnailer commandline option, this is diffrent from the -dumplevels option.

Great News :)
In next few days i think to update my port of the game for F200/F100 ....

Rivroner said:
Thank you very much :)
My pleasure :)

Farox said:
Great News :)
In next few days i think to update my port of the game for F200/F100 ....
That sounds great! :)
Please be sure to get the latest version of the source, I made a bo-bo when I exported the files for release, and forgot to include a bunch of levels, this is fixed now in the 0.6b release available on sf.org.
Would it be okay with you if I put up your port for the F200/F100 on SF.net aswell ? I can add you as a porter to the project if you'd like.

I just edited the two download links.
SRC: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizznic/files/Source%20Releases/wizznic_06b-SRC.tar.bz2/download
WIZ: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizznic/files/Gp2X%20Wiz%20Releases/wizznic_06b-WIZ.zip/download

Would it be okay with you if I put up your port for the F200/F100 on SF.net aswell ? I can add you as a porter to the project if you'd like.
Ok ..i'll be very happy thanks ..i have just downloaded the 0.6b version...in next few days will be available i think...

Thanks for the update and the update to the NES levels. :)

DusteD said:
I also converted bman's NES levels to 0.6 compatible file-format. (Yes, you still have to replace the data-files, I couldn't get the "pack" support ready for this release, it's first priority for 0.7)

I'm glad pack support will be in the next release as I've had to install Wizznic twice! (One for your levels & one for the NES ones)

I've also got a few ideas for the next release:

1. Could the menu be accessed from the start screen, without having to start a game first? (eg. Press B to play, press X for menu.)
2. As B is the 'action' button in the game, could this be used for the menus rather than X? (Most Wiz games use B for accept & X for decline)
3. Could the 'lives' & 'restarts' be shown on the game screen? (Instead of having to go to the menu to check how many you've got left)
4. At the moment only the score (for the level) is shown on the game screen, could the total score & the high score be shown also? (eg. Score, Level Score & High Score)
5. A restart key would also be a nice addition instead of having to go to the menu.

Cheers, Neil

Edit: I've just noticed that X also works as an 'action' button in the game (this wasn't mentioned in the instructions) you could use all 4 as 'action' buttons I suppose and maybe L and R for restart. :)

Back