Wiz Wifi Test

Sbock, What is your problem ?.

Did you actually read skeezix`s post ?, From your rather rude reply, I very much doubt it.

No? Then you speak about the PSP Go here:

Edit: At the same time, here is a bunch of guys who proposed a design, and when confronted by the community outrage, reacted. They also delayed a few months to help with quality. They also provided a stack of units to developers in the community, to help seed things, get some apps ready, and so on. They're _Really_ working hard this time, and are doing some great stuff. They're beating the big guys imho in this respect

Where in the above skeezix quote does he even refer to the PSP Go ?, If you read it properly, I think you`ll find skeezix was refering to GPH as the small bunch of guys, And not Sony.

I`ll not bother nit-picking the rest of your post, As it would be a complete waste of your`s and my time. But i can safely say that you are completely wrong on all accounts, And have blown everything all out of proportion.

I do believe you owe skeezix and apology.

Trooper

@trooper
Thanks for clearing this up. You're right. I misread that part. Sorry for that....

@skeezix
I don't want to appear respectless or rude towards you. That never was my intention. I apologize.

Regards,
Stephan

<-- removed> ED _is_ the patron saint of gp32x though :) -- oh, I get it. Thats actually sort of funny above .. I don't want to beat a dead horse (and not the first time folks micommunicated in a forum, so cool ;), but I get it now. sbock thought that when I said 'delayed' I was bringing Panda into it (which is the funny part *g* IS that the rep Panda has now? *g*), but I was actually cheering GPH on for how they handled things. It was pretty ballsy of GPH to delay in the name of quality and as a reaction to public outcry.

Anyway, back to point, there wasn't much meat on that video. We want more :) I never thought myself one to care, but like everyone else.. damned near every device in the last couple years has 802.11; its like when Bin N said the Wii wouldn't have high-def and everyone crapped themselves.. it just seemed like such an oversight. Still, adding 802.11 and keeping price down and not goign to driver hell is hard, and GPH probably doesn't keep a linux kernel hacker on staff, so it does seem an easy thing to cut out and pull out of a hat later.

So hopefully they do come out with a module that is tiny enough to be attached on and never removed; I'd hate for it to be a cable or something.

jeff

djw .. good point re: Korean market. We really should keep that context in mind. I wonder how usage differs? (I must admit, TVout seems important to a lot of people, but it seems mostly novelty to me. For a _handheld_ you're on the move, so how many peopel really jack a handheld into the TV. Its neat as hell, makes you feal like a kid again, but.. useful? So some features just seem weird, but you're right.. I bets its a cultural thing.)

As 'big' as those renders? The Wiz is tiny, in the renders that thing is much thinner than the Wiz and not as tall (and of course nowhere near as wide). So surely... it is actually quite small?

Saying about Korean market as long as I'm korean and leave here.

TV-out? nah. same here. It's not that nessasary for handheld, but still be cool if it has.
AMOLED? There are already couple of PMP/portable devices with that - but Wiz has only one with tearing issue.

If the weird wiz design is caused by considering Korean market, then it should have DMB, GPS and English Dictionary
- you can easily notice every Korean cell phone or e-gadget has them but few actually care, even Korean.

Well, there might be only ONE feature wiz has - weird enough for domestic market only - MIC. (and it's position)
I believe it is there because GPH want to make another 'VocaMaster' with Wiz someday. GP2x F-300 had a KIND OF success as a portable 'Word practicing machine' - mainly english, though :p

Normally Koreans are the most picky people about new electronic gadget and you never imagine how harshly we blame GPH in Korean forum (Gpain) about Wiz's buttons, screeens, build quality, THAT REDNERED ADAPTER - and mostly their lack of communication (with Korean, Ha!).

In any case, I know they are good people and work really hard, the output was little a bit disappoint though - their domestic AS is rather great. And mostly, I love my Wiz as much as my F100.

But weird thing is weird. There is not much 'Korean-market-specific-so-you-must-bear-it' functions. Unfortunately.

PS: WiFi? It is getting much important in here like everywhere. Now we even have portable WiBro-Wifi router.
http://koreatech.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/...and-speed-test/

PS. I actually enjoy reading skeezix's post. It's rather enthusiastic toward GPH. :rolleyes:

As 'big' as those renders? The Wiz is tiny, in the renders that thing is much thinner than the Wiz and not as tall (and of course nowhere near as wide). So surely... it is actually quite small?
This is what I think too. I see the render and mentally compare it to the GP2X cradle. Which makes it look very sleek indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much power will that wifi thingy chew up?

Also I didn't know Wiz was touch screen. Neato.

Looks promising - but I suppose it begs the question - what, in substantive terms, will wifi add to the wiz?

Internet? Not so practical on that screen...I suppose online gaming would be the most desirable thing (if integrated by devs), and wireless file transfers (which certainly is not a big deal for me). Streaming video perhaps...again, arguably not a huge deal....maybe there are some obvious things I'm missing?

I'm a gadget tragic, so I'm sure I'll get one anyways :)

And to add a voice to the skeezix fan club (even though that's unnecessary) - thanks for all your work, Jeff - I've been the beneficiary of your stellar efforts since ST emulation on the GP32 (I played Stunt Car Racer to death :) and very much look forward to your work on the wiz - if there's a nicer, more genuine, and more committed dev in the Pandora/wiz/gp2x/gp32/psp/ or whatever scene, I haven't met him yet :)

Cheers
Simon

maybe there are some obvious things I'm missing?
I'm a gadget tragic, so I'm sure I'll get one anyways :)

Ever play on the nestopia emulator? If not I should send you to do such a thing. Why is this you ask? The emulator has a built in online function, Im in the us and was playing TMNT3 on the NES with a guy in norway.

The NES has MP with 2 controlers obviously but is missing such a feature on the wiz, so adding wifi support you could play those games with 2 players etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Ad-Hoc modes so you can get 2 wiz consoles and put them together to play multiplayer, OR, instant messaging of some kind, for those times when someone's occupying your computer or something?

Im skeptical about this wireless adapter and what success it might have:
1. If GPH makes it run off the battery, can we count on the battery taking a large hit? Does GPH need to provide larger capacity batteries?
2. If the adapter is docking station and thus power is hardwired, what would then be the point of having wireless if your tied to a power outlet?
3. Does the wireless adapter take over the USB host?

I think this could be neat for things such as co-op for emulators and games.

@pickle: I thought the big size in the render is because it had a battery for the wifi built in to it. Sure going down from 5 hours to 3 would suck badly. And also, I'm happy if they're building the wifi in to it, even if bluetooth would be more useful to me personally. At least it's not only a docking add on.

Back