Wiz Wifi Test

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
I have a little short video of one of the first tests of WIFI working on the Wiz:

Link to video on Youtube

It's quite basic and the WIFI adapter is probably on the end of the multi connector on a break out board or Docking station.

This is basically proof of concept that it is possible to send/receive a message via WIFI on the Wiz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a little short video of one of the first tests of WIFI working on the Wiz:

Link to video on Youtube

It's quite basic and the WIFI adapter is probably on the end of the multi connector on a break out board or Docking station.

This is basically proof of concept that it is possible to send/receive a message via WIFI on the Wiz.
Nice, thanks for sharing that :D. So, is there any firm release date for the wifi adapter?

Regards

André

Release date is unknown yet and I think the WIFI adapter will be built into the docking cradle.
So there won't be a wifi adapter for carrying around?

Regards

André
I believe I saw the wifi adapter prototype photo, but I cannot find it again.
It mounted under the wiz into the 24pin slot.

WarmFluffyUK: I actually login for posting that news but you beat me up :lol:

EDIT: Okay, I found it, but it is just rendered model, sorry. but anyway, we can glance GPH's idea (turned out not always correctly, though)

Related thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...980&hl=wifi

Original photos(render):
wifi_jender_1_pshnshe.png

wif_jener_2_pshnshe.png

sbock: sorry, sbock. actually you beat me this :lol: I'd better not edit my post but make new one.

I don't mean to sound condescending at all, because I'm not trying to. I have no doubt WarmFluffyUK has seen this to be true, but this video doesn't really prove anything. It could be a serial link in the EXT connector. Do you have any other videos showing the entire setup? I loves the gadget pr0n. :)

They did the test yesterday morning when I was talking to GPH on MSN, and they then sent me the video, so far this was the first test and they were quite excited about it. I think I will give you the same advice all Pandora fans have had for the last year: Have a little faith ;)

:) Nice Clare. Touché.

"Have a little faith" .. sure. They have persisted all these years, despite the ability to swap left/right speakers, put a joystick in rotated, volume too loud to turn the device on, weird d-pads, touchscreen that is so noisey as to be barely useful, using an ancient ARM mode for us to code in,... ;) Too easy ;) GPH are awesome, and cool, but we have to remember.. they're not the best designers (d-pad buttons on the right?), nor the best at making thigns cheap (they don't have mass production etc, but regardless, their gadgets are not inexpensive) and not the best implementers (screens with tearing as normal and the things above, and 40 other things that've driven us mad all these years.)

And yet we love the batshit hell out of them. They're the crazy uncle you love to have at parties to liven shit up, since you never know if their next move will be brilliant or W-T-F. Also, like it or not, they've been carrying the flag for a lot of years.. no one else has been trying our brand of madness for years, so they're the small guy and we love it.

But 'have a little faith'... *fear* :)

It would be very like GPH to make a wifi unit that no one would carry around (good technically, but bad design.) I'm not sure I like the rendered one either .. far too large and can get a lot smaller I'm sure.. the trick is the antenna. IT'd have been wiser (perhaps) to stick the antenna in already and just sell the module with the chip, or perhaps (if the battery was still removable) put the antenna in there, or I don't know .. but seems clumsy either way.

Still, I do have faith -- they could pull something out of the bag; they do show signs of awesome once in awhile :)

jeff

Edit: At the same time, here is a bunch of guys who proposed a design, and when confronted by the community outrage, reacted. They also delayed a few months to help with quality. They also provided a stack of units to developers in the community, to help seed things, get some apps ready, and so on. They're _Really_ working hard this time, and are doing some great stuff. They're beating the big guys imho in this respect :)

If GPH put there mind to it, I'm sure they can do something like this:
image.jpg

They do them now for both Bluetooth and Wifi.

Obviously the connector needs to be different, but there shouldn't be that much difference in size and certainly no where need the size of the current renders!

@skeezix

Is it possible to keep this Pandora/Wiz bullshit out of this thread? Personally I find it real annoying. Thanks a bunch...

Regards,
Stephan

sbock -- I didn't comment about pandora at all; I dev for both, and have devved for some 30+ handhelds over the last 10 years, including all GP/GPH machines.

I thank you to not read more into this than was typed, kthxbye ;)

jeff

Disclosure, yes, I'm writing some stuff for Pandora. Yes I'm writing stuff for Wiz. Yes I like Wiz. Yes I like GPH. IF you close your eyes and say 'GP32 never had swapped audio' then you're hiurting yourself. Criticism is healthy. Its when it is unbaiased fanboi'ism that it hurts everyone. If I am not impartial, please point it out.

Edit: And when I say stuff like ";love the batshit hell out of them" and "They're beating the big guys imho in this respect" .... you think I'm dissing them? gah. whatever.

Edit: GP32 NLU, GP32 FLU, GP32 BLU, GP2X original, GP2x F200, Wiz dev alpha., Wiz dev beta, Wiz production unit on the way. Screw you :)

Okay boys calm down, I don't want this thread to become another flame war.

Who knows what GPH will be creating, and as always I will be passing your comments on to them.

I know this would come....

I didn't comment about pandora at all

No? Then you speak about the PSP Go here:

Edit: At the same time, here is a bunch of guys who proposed a design, and when confronted by the community outrage, reacted. They also delayed a few months to help with quality. They also provided a stack of units to developers in the community, to help seed things, get some apps ready, and so on. They're _Really_ working hard this time, and are doing some great stuff. They're beating the big guys imho in this respect

IF you close your eyes and say 'GP32 never had swapped audio' then you're hiurting yourself.

I never said that...

Criticism is healthy. Its when it is unbaiased fanboi'ism that it hurts everyone

But not in every thread. It's massive off topic in this thread, too. And no, I'm no fanboy.

If I am not impartial, please point it out

Can't find that blame in my previous post...

And when I say stuff like ";love the batshit hell out of them" and "They're beating the big guys imho in this respect" .... you think I'm dissing them? gah. whatever.

GPH and Big guys? Get real...

GP32 NLU, GP32 FLU, GP32 BLU, GP2X original, GP2x F200, Wiz dev alpha., Wiz dev beta, Wiz production unit on the way

I know that. I'm not here since yesterday. I always liked your work and attitude. But can we please abandon any "GPH are idiots/The glory Pandora Team" discussion here? Just as I said: I find it annoying and it has nothing to do with Clare's initial post. Once again: Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Stephan

Damm this thread took a nose dive :eek:,

For the record, like Skeezix, I dev and hack on many platforms.

He is one of the most honest dev's I know (and I have known him for many years now) and I can't see that he has any agenda other then hacking around for fun. Simple as that. Context aside Skeezix is no fanboy (and in fairness, sbock I have never considered you one). Let's all just chill ;). Remember that we all do this for fun.

Anyway, on topic.

I would not be surprised if GPH merge WiFi into a dock. With the pre-release stuff I understood that was always on the cards but rest assured that GPH have been told many times that there is a market for a small WiFi clip. But you have to take into account there Korean userbase, that can often lead to a lot of what we consider WTF! moments as some of there design choices suit there local market best. GPH also tend to stick to near reference designs and take an 'if it works, don't mess with it' approach to engineering. Nothing wrong with that, it's just there way.

Can we please keep the flame wars out of this thread please chaps? No need to bite each others heads off, and we really don't want to have to close or modify this thread.

Back