Wiz Vs Dingoo

Wiz vs Dingoo

• Total voters

sotsirh194

Still Fresh
In your opinion is the GP2X Wiz better or worse than the Dingoo in things like emulator quality, community support, manufacturing quality, and the support of the community surrounding it?

sotsirh194 said:
In your opinion is the GP2X Wiz better or worse than the Dingoo in things like emulator quality, community support, manufacturing quality, and the support of the community surrounding it?
the wiz wins hands down as a constantly evolving and improving platform ,i have fallen in love with mine and its the first game park holding console i have ever owned so i'm not a fanboy, but i believe the dingoo is pretty good but the wiz has a lot more going on ,

Last edited by a moderator:
sotsirh194 said:

Sorry, but I don't think it is good poll. Everybody likes his/her platform.
Even though I and many people think Wiz is a lot better (in spec wise) than Dingoo, there could be plenty of people who prefer Dingoo in various reason. (and craigx supports it)

Most of all, what kind of result do you expect from this poll 'IN WIZ FORUM'???

Can't really comment as I have never played around with a dingoo. But the wiz is great good community support and a record number of ports & emulators in such a short time. Even the firmware upgrading so far has been easy. It would be hard to beat current day.

Right now, I have neither system, but on past experience with the GP2X, and doing some research, I decided to go with the Wiz system.
Namely because GPH have had some experience and improved on the older system, and I trusted that there would be a good homebrew scene ready as mostly anything could be ported.

mittens said:
Sorry, but I don't think it is good poll. Everybody likes his/her platform.
Even though I and many people think Wiz is a lot better (in spec wise) than Dingoo, there could be plenty of people who prefer Dingoo in various reason. (and craigx supports it)

Most of all, what kind of result do you expect from this poll 'IN WIZ FORUM'???

This poll is fine. It's a legitimate question, and many people own both. I do, and I can honestly say that while I think both are excellent, I like the Wiz better. It's got a much better community developing for it. There are new apps nearly every day. I don't see the same kind of support for the Dingoo.

Also, I initially like the Dingoo's model better (the size, the feel, the look, etc) but I have since grown to really like the Wiz better in that aspect. It just fits nicely in my hands.

Also, there are more (and better) emulators for the Wiz. It has by far exceeded the Dingoo, IMO. HOWEVER, the Dingoo is still a great buy.

Anyway, sure the poll is in a Wiz forum and will therefore likely have a Wiz bias, but would you rather that instead we start a "Wiz & Dingoo: Which is better?" website, so that it will be more likely to have owners of each? The poll is fine as it is, so quit complaining.

Threads like these are such flame bait.

Which is "better" is not always that simple. I don't know if there is even a better one, it is just what you like. If OLED screen is important then Wiz is good if you want something cheap then Dingooo fits the bill.

As far as software that should be a non issue. They both have allot of stuff and both will get more. I would have thought the Wiz would be kicking ass here but honestly the support doesn't seem as good as I thought it would be. There are tons of things that could have been ported fairly easily (compared with Dingoo) but have not been bothered with (NeoGeo is a good example, Dingoo wins here as it has one, Wiz don't). If it wasn't for a few devs that have been doing the lions share of the porting there would be very little. There seems to be very few people porting Wiz stuff even though the ones that have, have done allot (thanks guys).

The scene these days is horribly fragmented. Between the Wiz, Dingoo, Pandora, GP2X, DS, PSP, Cell phones, Devs are all over the map and have more choices than time. Gone are the good ole' days When the whole scene revolved around one or two systems.

So far the 3D chip in the Wiz is a waste of silicon, there are zero programs that use it. The touch screen is fairly dormant as well, half the time I forget it has one (virtual keyboards are still using the d-pad only for example). I think the Wiz has more potential between the two but we will have to wait and see if this potential is taken advantage of before declaring a "winner".

DaveC said:
Threads like these are such flame bait.

Which is "better" is not always that simple. I don't know if there is even a better one, it is just what you like. If OLED screen is important then Wiz is good if you want something cheap then Dingooo fits the bill.

As DaveC says, it's a pretty subjective question. People who own one or the other will most likely be biased towards their own purchase.

The question may be better answered by those who have both.

Here is my take on comparing the two:

• Wiz
  • Comes with Linux out of the box. Don't underestimate this. Loads of people won't want to dual-boot their Dingoo because it's a bit of a hassle to do so.
  • Touch screen. Not much uses this yet.
  • Technically more capable.
  • Based on ARM. Can use loads of ASM libraries/resources already available.
  • USB Networking.
  • actually I am assuming this, I haven't tried this?

• Dingoo
  • Cheap! About half the price of a Wiz.
  • Fast to start. About 5-6 seconds to boot to Linux or Dingoo Digital OS.
  • Good CPU though based on MIPS. Not as many interesting ASM libraries.
  • Serial over USB only.
  • Several development options (linux, s2d, minimal)

PS. I should have something interesting ready for the Dingoo running under Linux soon.

I really don't understand why people are having such issues with this poll. It's a perfectly understandable question.

Sotsirh194 didn't say anything about one answer being right or wrong. As a matter of fact, he wrote "in your opinion"! That right there should clue all of you in to the fact that there is no right or wrong answer. Each person can have their own opinion in this thread and they're all valid.

So DaveC, in that case, no it's not flame-bait. It's a normal question.

And slaanesh, obviously it's subjective. Sotsirh194 was clearly fishing for an opinion. All opinions are subjective.

These little comments about how "useless" this poll is or how the topic is flame-bait, are just useless. The other information you guys gave is useful and informative, but why does everyone have to attack the idea of this poll before they answer?

Oh and DaveC, I agree completely about the dev scene being spread too thin. It's kind of a shame really, but eh, what can you do right? Good thing we've got guys like Pickle who are going port-crazy. The Wiz would have almost nothing without Pickle's contributions.

DaveC said:
As far as software that should be a non issue. They both have allot of stuff and both will get more. I would have thought the Wiz would be kicking ass here but honestly the support doesn't seem as good as I thought it would be.

The scene these days is horribly fragmented. Between the Wiz, Dingoo, Pandora, GP2X, DS, PSP, Cell phones, Devs are all over the map and have more choices than time. Gone are the good ole' days When the whole scene revolved around one or two systems.

So far the 3D chip in the Wiz is a waste of silicon, there are zero programs that use it. The touch screen is fairly dormant as well, half the time I forget it has one (virtual keyboards are still using the d-pad only for example). I think the Wiz has more potential between the two but we will have to wait and see if this potential is taken advantage of before declaring a "winner".

I think the slow start of the Wiz can be attributed to a few things.
1: Most people recognise the Wiz as a successor and expect much software to be ported, rather than created right now.
2: The Pandora.
3: Current difficulty in obtaining the system. They sold out very quickly after launch and the system has yet to be restocked!
4: No official SDK as of yet, people are compiling Wiz binaries by using libraries for the Gp2x.

Yeah, the scene right now is fragmented, but I think you can also split it up into different groups.
DS: The absolute piracy scene, with a few interesting homebrew at best the DS is mostly about piracy thanks to the R4.
PSP: The popular emulation scene, with plenty of emulators, good homebrew, and an ongoing struggle against Sony releasing a 4th PSP.
Dingoo: The cheap emulation choice
Wiz: The open-source scene, not having to struggle with a system, but being able to do great things with it, emulation or original.

Given a little time, the touchscreen on the Wiz might get a little use, but the MICROPHONE? Why is there a microphone? Really?
Right now, the Wiz seems to have a head start over the Dingoo, but we'll see how that turns out.

The Wiz is better because it can use Cyclone, the ASM 68k-core - boosting Amiga 500-, Genesis-, Neo Geo- and X68000-emulation.

I already have a PSP which has a comparable CPU to the Dingoo. Its MIPS-CPU is good, but without a doubt inferior to the Wiz' ARM-CPU for emulation gaming.

RupeeClock said:
DaveC said:
As far as software that should be a non issue. They both have allot of stuff and both will get more. I would have thought the Wiz would be kicking ass here but honestly the support doesn't seem as good as I thought it would be.

I think the slow start of the Wiz can be attributed to a few things.
1: Most people recognise the Wiz as a successor and expect much software to be ported, rather than created right now.
2: The Pandora.
3: Current difficulty in obtaining the system. They sold out very quickly after launch and the system has yet to be restocked!
4: No official SDK as of yet, people are compiling Wiz binaries by using libraries for the Gp2x.

Yeah, the scene right now is fragmented, but I think you can also split it up into different groups.
DS: The absolute piracy scene, with a few interesting homebrew at best the DS is mostly about piracy thanks to the R4.
PSP: The popular emulation scene, with plenty of emulators, good homebrew, and an ongoing struggle against Sony releasing a 4th PSP.
Dingoo: The cheap emulation choice
Wiz: The open-source scene, not having to struggle with a system, but being able to do great things with it, emulation or original.

Given a little time, the touchscreen on the Wiz might get a little use, but the MICROPHONE? Why is there a microphone? Really?
Right now, the Wiz seems to have a head start over the Dingoo, but we'll see how that turns out.

consolesource.com is the only place right now that has any and only ships to usa & canada, odd they aren't really known of google for having it, I forgot how I ended up finding it. Just beware their "support"

GBAX.com is expecting their shipment today, they'll have stock AND have good support.
They've kept me well informed of my order over the past few weeks. :)

I was originally planning on getting a Pandora but I decided to wait until the 2nd batch. In the mean time I was trying to decide whether I wanted the Dingoo or the Wiz. It was a difficult decision. The Dingoo is a surprisingly good system for its price and the homebrew scene is more active than I expected. I don't think you can go wrong with the Dingoo at this point. However, I ended up going with the Wiz. The reasons are as follows: easier to move ports over from the GP2X, touch screen for SCUMMVM, don't need to mess with dual-boot, and I want to develop some homebrew games for it.

EDITED TO ADD: I forgot to mention. For the Wiz there were almost a few deal breakers: the inaccuracy of the touch screen (I really hope this can be fixed with a firmware update), the screen tearing at the side (which I believe has been fixed in a recent firmware update) and the memory bottle neck.

stevenp said:
I was originally planning on getting a Pandora but I decided to wait until the 2nd batch. In the mean time I was trying to decide whether I wanted the Dingoo or the Wiz. It was a difficult decision. The Dingoo is a surprisingly good system for its price and the homebrew scene is more active than I expected. I don't think you can go wrong with the Dingoo at this point. However, I ended up going with the Wiz. The reasons are as follows: easier to move ports over from the GP2X, touch screen for SCUMMVM, don't need to mess with dual-boot, and I want to develop some homebrew games for it.

EDITED TO ADD: I forgot to mention. For the Wiz there were almost a few deal breakers: the inaccuracy of the touch screen (I really hope this can be fixed with a firmware update), the screen tearing at the side (which I believe has been fixed in a recent firmware update) and the memory bottle neck.

There are no issues with touch screen accuracy. It works perfect. It only has inaccuracies in certain programs, but that boils down to the actual software needing to be tampered with, not the hardware. The good news about that is that it's completely fixable - it's just up to the devs. The bad news about that is that it's just up to the devs. :/ Most of the devs have been pretty good about listening to bugs/suggestions and updating them though, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

To my knowledge, so far the only prog that really needs to have the touchscreen calibration looked at, is SCUMMVM. But I'm sure there are more that I haven't been using.

Mine only has dead zones on the very, very edges of the screen, which is about the same for every other touch screen I've used in my life.

Peter R said:
Is it not still the case that there are huge dead zones on the side of some peoples wiz screens?

I haven't any dead zones on my Wiz either. Similar to DurTahar, my Wiz's touchscreen is like every other touch screen I've had. It works great but there is little sensitivity on the rim of the screen. It's what I expect from any touch screen (especially one that's sunken below the surface of the face of the device). If the screen was flush with the device's face, I MIGHT expect more sensitivity from the rims.

I have both, the Wiz and the Dingoo, and I have to say: I really like the Wiz better. I like the design of the Wiz and the colour. On the Dingoo (black) I can see every fingerprint, but on the Wiz they are harder to spot.
The Wiz is also faster, it runs Game Boy Advance games a lot nicer and with prettier scaling. I also like the ability to use SD cards, because I already had got one. Another thing is OpenGL ES support. I really like that because I'm already developing with OpenGL on my computer. Unfortunately I haven't got any peace of OpenGL to work on the Wiz, but I think that's only a question of time.

Jan-Nik said:
I like the design of the Wiz and the colour. On the Dingoo (black) I can see every fingerprint, but on the Wiz they are harder to spot.
Agreed, I love the fact that the Wiz has little white speckles on the case making it harder to see fingerprints :)

Back