Wiz The Little Beat That Could

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Ok im taking over the GP2X news for Wiz stuff :) Its worth it so keep reading.

If you havnt followed the many thread's in the wiz stuff you missed that ive sent the week+weekend getting some things to run on the wiz.
The big one is quake2 : Video Here

I have also gotten prboom, wolf4sdl, xcom1, xcom2, fecu (8 bpp mode doesnt work yet)
Also im working dosbox, it crashes part way in probally an SDL issue.

In summary this little guy blows away the GP2X. Just watch the video!

Edit: Beat = Beast, late night :rolleyes:

Update: Add quake to the list, its up and running FAST!

This is very nice. Thank you for sharing. I'm also glad to hear you're working on DOSBox for the Wiz. With everything that you've done for it on the GP2X lately I have been wondering how it would run on the Wiz. Anyways thanks again. It's good to see stuff like this before I get mine in March.

Super!

Is this "same" port of one that was on Gp2x?

It would be nice to see gp2x doing same thing in the same video :)

quasist said:
Super!

Is this "same" port of one that was on Gp2x?

It would be nice to see gp2x doing same thing in the same video :)
Complied from the same source. The wiz version probably runs on the gp2x too, its linked dynamically and both are arm9.

Last edited by a moderator:
chemaris said:
I tested the port and it runs very well, much better that in the gp2x :D
I uploaded the video on youtube,I hope that it doesn't matter for you

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=QuFmQZbSqmQ

Thanks for the youtube video, save everyone from downloading my 60 meg mpeg2.
Can you test it right now? add a +set cl_showpfs 1 to see the fps

Pickle for Guru

Thanks again for all your work Pickle, both here and on the old GP2X :)

I watched the video last night and it was downright impressive (especially more so since it's hindered by the 8bit->16bit conversion). I can imagine how the original Quake will fly on this thing!

Pickle said:
Thanks for the youtube video, save everyone from downloading my 60 meg mpeg2.
Can you test it right now? add a +set cl_showpfs 1 to see the fps
I have added the parameter, but doesn't show the fps

Alex. said:
Pickle for Guru
Thanks again for all your work Pickle, both here and on the old GP2X :)
I watched the video last night and it was downright impressive (especially more so since it's hindered by the 8bit->16bit conversion).

Thanks

I can imagine how the original Quake will fly on this thing!

You mean this? :rolleyes:
chemaris said:
I have added the parameter, but doesn't show the fps

Maybe its putting it out on the command line (serial output)

wraggster said:
awesome work Pickle - hm i may have to make a seperate Wiz site on DCEmu with all these releases :)
yeah, well some were betas. And they will probably slow down a bit here, I kind of put it in overdrive this weekend. (We need to get a SNES emu going on this hw)

I just want to say thanks to woogal for the work on the quakes, M-HT/Senor Quack for the work in the xcom's.
By using SDL they made that much easier to recompile and modify.

Nice work.

Too bad you have to squint at a tiny Gameboy sized screen to play it though.

I am still hoping for a MK2 with a bigger screen, stuff like this is hard on the eyes when it is so small.

looks good. you've done some great stuff for gp2x and now wiz. I wonder if quake 3 is possible at all on wiz.

DaveC with his usual helpful comments. Without him I would have thought the wiz had a big tv sized screen...

Don't worry about old man Dave C - he just needs a stronger prescription for his reading glasses :p And the wiz is so small - he'd be dropping it all the time, and since that hip replacement, it'd be a real struggle to hook it back up with his walking stick :p

Seriously, though, I take his point, and the wiz won't be for some because of the screen, just as Pandora won't be for some due to price or some other very personal factor - as odd as it may be to some, or even most.

Me, well I'm on the wiz bandwagon, and it's great to hear some more devs sinking their teeth in - Quake 2 and Franxis working on MAME? Heaven :)

Cheers
Simon

I actually agree with DaveC. The tiny screen is the only thing keeping me from already placing a pre-order. My eyes aren't nearly as good as they were in college and high school, I really can't see myself squinting at a 2.8 inch screen for any length of time without getting a headache.

Very impressing video. Fun to watch. Thanks for this.

Pickle for Guru

Of course, no question...

Regards,
Stephan

DaveC said:
Too bad you have to squint at a tiny Gameboy sized screen to play it though.
Can you please stop repeating yourself? We know how small it is. Saying that had no point whatsoever, put Pickle's work down, and lessened your credibility/reputation as a 'critic' (or is that just with Dpads?).

Back