Wiz Or Psp?

DaveC said:
If you try to play a commercial game on the PSP doesn't it force you to update the firmware or the game won't start?
Correct.

DaveC said:
A constant battle with Sony on your own console just seems more trouble than it is worth.
Beautifully said. My point exactly why open handhelds are better ;) . I call all the shots on my WIZ and I don't have to worry about some company trying to control it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been through four psps (2 1000s 1 2000s 1 3000) My first two psps were 1000s (both hacked) and both analogs broke, I ordered a new analog to try and fix it myself, however it didn't work out so well. I did everything perfectly on the first one but the analog still didn't work. However ,I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the 2000 model(hacked), still works today, but I'm scared the analog could just break at any second due to my prior experiences. If I remember properly my snes emulator on my psp could run super mario world pretty well and all the hacks for it too and I could play it in the sun with maximum brightness(kills the battery tho.)

But the downside was the battery life, bit too clunky for my pockets, analog stick, and I feel the screen quality isn't as awesome as the wiz's.

And you only have to update depending on how high the firmware required. 5.00 m33 could run all the games requiring firmware no higher then 5.00. You could even patch some games so you wouldn't have to update (isos.) The team behind m33 isn't here anymore though. The people left at the firmware scene is GEN. From what I heard their firmware is full of glitches so I just stuck with 5.00 m33.

BTW if this post was too long I'll shorten it somehow. I just like talking about the psp because of my experiences with it. and my wiz fits perfectly in my pocket :) =)

If you are worried about the screen tearing, I can tell you that it is possible to write software that fixes it.

The genesis/mega drive emulator on the wiz is absolutely amazing and has a 'diagonal tear' fix option that completely removes any tearing. Technically it is at the cost of some performance, but I can tell you that even with it on (and my wiz set to to 700 mhz) the framerates on genesis games are perfect... sega cd too!

Mame for the wiz also has a screen tear fix that works great on most games, but unfortunately it doesn't work with neo geo titles (the graphics are shifted around the screen improperly, although it actually works right if you rotate the screen... I hope this could get fixed on a future release). There are also great tearing fixes with gameboy and gameboy advance emulation (the gba emulation is really nice too). I'm hoping that temper (the pc engine/turbografx emulator) can add a screen tear fix in the future. I'm not sure if there are other emulators that have this fix, but more may come.

One other thing to keep in mind is the ghosting on the psp screen and the controls. I've never been a big fan of sonys dpads and I believe the controls on the wiz are much better for emulation of older titles (thankfully they went with buttons and not the dual dpad design). The wiz screen is the perfect resolution for many older titles since it perfectly matches the mega drive and neo geo resolutions so no scaling needs to be done and the image quality is really much much better than the psp. The psp 3000 does have a nicer screen than the previous psp models, although it would be harder to find one that runs emulators. I can tell you that I have a wiz, ds, psp 2000 running custom firmware, and a psp 3000. When it comes to emulators I almost entirely use the wiz because the screen is so nice for them. The oled almost gives you a crt look, but much sharper than any crt you would have had years ago. Also, before you go to the psp, you might want to look at ds emulation. There are surprisingly good emulators on the ds of the nes, sega master system, pc engine, genesis, and even neo geo (although because of scaling issues if you want the image to look decent than you lose some of the image on the neo geo, pc engine, and genesis emulators because the ds screen resolution is lower than these systems had). Hope that helps.

I want give my oppinion. You said only Wiz cons and PSP pros, and you must to know something about both consoles.

Sony is big and well known mark, but they don't like homebrew, and they make all that they can to eliminate it. Now in the PSP 3000 and Go is very difficult to run homebrew like games or emulators. In PSP Go the games are strong encrypted and you can't execute nothing from the PSP fat/slim scene. All the scene is dead in the PSP Go an this is the way that Sony like in the future. If you have an old PSP you can enjoy, but this is not sure in some years. What happens if nobody can patch future Sony firmwares??

This will never happen in the Wiz. All the users can use the homebrew applications and games. And the most important: without void the warranty or install illegal patches to the firmware. Remember, Sony don't permit the user to bypass the PSP protections. The Wiz is open source and GPH let you install any program you want, or you can make your own programs and you don't have to pay GPH for make this.

Well, the PSP scene is big, but some emulators are abandoned for months or years. Some emulators runs good, but not all, because software can have errors and they need to update. It's a fact is that the MAME in Wiz is the best implementation in a portable console.

Its very easy. If you want to play PSP games and some homebrew, buy a PSP.
But if you like to learn and enjoy the scene buy a Wiz.

Well, finally I think i'm getting neither... I can't afford the Wiz for what it is.
I found a local store in my area and they're selling it 185 euros which is a rip-off. Getting it from US or Asia is out of the question. It costs 112Euros + 20something for postage + whatever the tolls ask for, because they can't ship it as a "gift". Here in Europe I only found two stores that sell it 140E and the postage is also high and they are all out of stock anyway. On e-bay they're only shipping to US and Canada and the prices are also high. This Wiz just doesn't want to be bought. The end.

Unless I could get my hands on a used one, in good condition. I'd pay 110-120E. Is anyone selling theirs here in Europe?

gp2x.de has them in stock for e125 (without postage):
http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php/cPath/35/products_id/107

If you watch the forums (there is even a marketplace somewhere way down in the forum index) you may be able to get a nice deal.

emphy said:
gp2x.de has them in stock for e125 (without postage):
http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php/cPath/35/products_id/107

If you watch the forums (there is even a marketplace somewhere way down in the forum index) you may be able to get a nice deal.

http://www.gp2x.de/shop/shipping.php

Postage is 30 euros (which is ridiculous for within Europe shipping) for me, Zone 1, so it boils down to the same. I already checked that anyway. Thanks though!

Get a PSP. It may be a bit harder to get certain applications running on it, but the Wiz suffers from an awful d-pad, poor company support, poor firmware, screen tearing, and a grainy, discolored screen, even if it does have good brightness and viewing angles. GPH is also the shittiest company to come along in years, and this is proven by their announcement of a new console less than a year after the Wiz's release.

The Wiz can handle emulators pretty well, but the experience is dulled with hardware faults such as screen tearing and poor controls.

chickendung said:
the Wiz suffers from an awful d-pad, screen tearing, and a grainy, discolored screen
I have to disagree with these points. I think the WIZ D-pad is outstanding (it may not be the best the industry has ever produced but it's head and shoulders above something like the Xbox 360 D-pad). I feared the screen tearing before I got mine after what everyone had said about it but I don't think it's bad at all and it's completely gone from PicoDrive for sure. I don't notice it in OhBoy or gpSP either. It's barely there in PocketSNES and gpfce (I think that's what the NES emulator is called). I don't think screen tearing is a problem at this point.
I don't know what to say about the screen. I think it's beautiful. The best screen I've seen yet on a handheld, by a mile! I've owned several DS's and PSP's and I don't think they even come close.

My opinions anyway ;) .

I have two PSP's with custom firmware as well as a PSPgo. I use all of them, but the PSPgo is great for travel because of it's smaller size. They're great handhelds, but I'd never give up my WIZ! With the exception of PSX emulation, nearly every emulator I play is superior on the WIZ and it's size lends nicely to carrying it around with you. Your choice is a tough one, that fortunately I never had to make. If you can, get both. Each platform has it's strengths, but for pure old school emulation the WIZ is the best choice in my opinion.

i'm watching this topic, but now i have to make my post...

almost everyone is complaining about the screen tearing as a big issue, but there's NO tearing! it was with the old firmwares, but with the most recent FW (1.2 i guess) it's gone

the D-Pad is not perfect, but i got used to it, and with a minor custom modification it can be fixed

the main problem of the WIZ is the lack of big, commercial games. if you want to play that kind of games, go for a PSP, if you need emulation, get a WIZ

Thanks a lot guys! I've already ordered my Wiz and it should arrive in a week's time, so I'm soon to become a Wiz owner which means I'll be lurking around the forum more often! I think I'm going to be fine, since I only want emulators (which gives me thousands of possible games to play)and don't care about commercial games. I just feel i've made the right choice somehow. I'm just a bit anxious about installing the new firmware, which I'm not going to do until people find out what causes bricking during installation.
I decided that PSP is ok, but it's just a hassle to find a hackable one and hack it without bricking it. The Wiz also looks adorable!

@glezmen: I'm glad the tearing is gone! I also came across the d-pad mod you're talking about. It looks very interesting and I think I'm going to make a variation of my own, if the d-pad doesn't feel comfortable. I'll post it if it's successful!

You'll be happy with the Wiz. I've owned a hacked PSP for years and a lot of the emus run well on it. However, it can't run MAME worth squat (nowhere near playable), something I bought the Wiz specifically for. All the other emus run slightly better on the Wiz too, but not better enough to justify giving up PSP and PSOne commercial games, IMO. But being a MAME freak, I'll say that the Wiz runs MAME like nobody's business. Portable MAME was a big selling point for me, and that Wiz screen is the icing on the cake. If I could only have one, then I'd still take the Wiz, just because of the great MAME emulation.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how the Pandora screen compares? Does that have an OLED screen?

I completely agree about the Wiz screen, the contrast is amazing and you can view it from any angle. And don't forget the sound, I think it has great clarity for small speakers.

The only problem I have with the Wiz is it's size. I find it small to hold in my fat hands, the Atari Lynx 2 was perfect for me lol.

Andy G said:
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how the Pandora screen compares? Does that have an OLED screen?

I completely agree about the Wiz screen, the contrast is amazing and you can view it from any angle. And don't forget the sound, I think it has great clarity for small speakers.

The only problem I have with the Wiz is it's size. I find it small to hold in my fat hands, the Atari Lynx 2 was perfect for me lol.

there was a thread about screen comparison in the pandora sub section, some complained about the quality others are ok with it. i think the search function might help because you need to make your own opinion about it :)

PSP: More expensive (PSP Go is just way overpriced in my opinion). Nice collection of AAA (high-budget) titles. Can do emulation stuff with hacked firmware, but not as good as the Wiz. Can also be hooked up to a PlayStation 3 for various purposes, like downloading/playing classic PlayStation 1 games.

Wiz: Very great for emulation purposes up to 32 bit. Fantastic screen. Overall build quality is pretty good, even the controls. A very tiny, yet sturdy device. Out-of-the-box open source experience. GPH really amazed me with this thing.

Also, if I did choose a PSP, I would never go with the PSP Go. I mean, who the hell ditches the UMD format on which the whole game library is based? This only means that the whole physical format will be ditched after the Blu-ray hype. Next round almost everything will only be available via digital formats, via strictly closed sources. Company gone, games gone. But that's a whole discussion on itself, which doesn't need to get debated here.

I have both the devices myself. If I had to choose between the two then I would choose the Wiz without even thinking twice. Classic gaming in my pocket, with added awesomeness of the various nice applications and free homebrew video games. For €125 this is a very nice device.

Wootson said:
Also, if I did choose a PSP, I would never go with the PSP Go. I mean, who the hell ditches the UMD format on which the whole game library is based?
If you have no physical games already, then it's not a problem.

Back