Wiz Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Hi all,

I have been asked to provide feedback on the Wiz to GPH. Would you all be so kind and post your findings here please and I will pass them on. Please don't use this topic for rants or flaming. Also, don't post unless you actually own a production model as this isn't intended as a general discussion thread, but mainly for you to let GPH know what you think about your own Wiz.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated and appropriate responses from GPH will be relayed back.

Thanks,
Clare.

Reuest for the next firmware :

-Fix the screen tearing issue
-Make the sound output much higher when using headphones.
-Option to change flash graphic quality (Hi, Med, Low) for certain laggy games.
-Bring back the equalizer option the F100/F200 has for audio.

- Buttons and D-Pad a little bit too small (at least for my hands)
- Touchscreen inaccurate (at least mine, even after calibration; I'm using the screen protector film)
- Please post the source of the OpenGL ES examples.
- The USB cable is sitting unsteady in the Wiz (Sorry if that makes no sense, tried to translate from German)

- We need the full source code of the firmware (or is it already somewhere?)
- A complete firmware update with all files would be nice

But I think you already told GPH this two points, Clare... ;)

Regards,
Stephan

Peter R posted on May 21 2009 at 03:53 AM said:
sbock posted on May 21 2009 at 11:40 AM said:
- A complete firmware update with all files would be nice
See here.
Customizeable themes would be nice (I have already started working on a concept:

Main Menu: (More info on it can be found in the below link)
http://jacksterson.deviantart.com/art/Wiz-...-Menu-123094768
b440d1d290dd5486d16cd07d4e74e7a7.png

Games Menu: (More info on it can be found in the below link)
http://jacksterson.deviantart.com/art/Wiz-...Games-123097388
Wiz_Concept___Games_by_jacksterson.png

Also, a better photo viewer, one that doesn't freeze when viewing large files, and preferably faster loading times when viewing them.

On hardware related issues, the charger seems rather flimsy. I find myself being extremely careful when charging it, as it feels as if one sudden movement or jerk would break the plug. Are there any plans to release a sturdier one? I see two holes on the bottom that can be used for grips.

My main issue though, is the obscenely bright orange theme. I really wish I can change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please add the build in file manager, I can't delete or move some unused file without connecting it to PC.

Ahua_Keren posted on May 21 2009 at 04:39 AM said:
Please add the build in file manager, I can't delete or move some unused file without connecting it to PC.
Didn't know you could do that.

Also, its not the brightness, thats fine with me. Its the color! :/

I mean think about it, its a black system, with red stripes, and a blue light coming from the side of it. Thats all fine, but then theres a bright orange screen. Its a sore thumb to my eyes ><

A larger hole for the reset button so we can reset with the stylus :)

And a hard-reset function, if it doesn't have that... Tried holding the reset button... ;)

Theres a reset button? Oh, is it at the top? Cool. How about internal wifi, if we're asking for hardware stuff. Wouldn't it be awesome to play games with other wiz users wirelessly?

All in all great system, what I would really like to see (maybe there is already a solution for this) I would like a universal volume control or universal mute.

When in public and I don't want sound, I turn the volume down on one app and then whenever I open a new app the volume is full blast again and some stuff doesn't even work with the regular volume controls you have to go into the game's options to reduce the volume.

I would like a universal volume control or universal mute.

When in public and I don't want sound, I turn the volume down on one app and then whenever I open a new app the volume is full blast again and some stuff doesn't even work with the regular volume controls you have to go into the game's options to reduce the volume.
A universal menu system would be nice, actually. And if that annoying bar at the top would go away when viewing pictures, that'd be nice.

Also, are there any plans for a smoother music player? After spending 6 years with winamp and instant pause and playback, its rather frustrating not being able to play music and videos and have it lag when I want it to mute or stop or skip songs.

Speaking of which, how about making the L + R buttons skip songs? Possibly the menu/select button to pause/play music. I mean, both of them would be able to pause and play the songs?

I had a psp for the longest time with a cracked screen, and I could navigate the music on it very well by heart and even with one hand because all the buttons were easily reached with my palm and thumbs.

*EDIT*

Come to think of it, what if the Wiz took a more intimate direction with the user, allowing for setting user names on the system with themes, and adding homebrew / applications in the main menu's built in game option?

- USB connector doesn't fit firmly in Wiz.
- Also the type of connector makes it impossible to charge Wiz without genuine cable (I'll have to order one more if I loose one? Or if it would break one day - plug on the Wiz's side looks really unreliable). Connector as one on PSP will be much better, I could by these cable in nearest PC-shop and I'll be able to buy a few and charge my Wiz at Work/Home/etc without need to have the cable always with me. It really disappointed me..
- Ability to see approximate battery charge in % and how long it could run (just like in PSP)
- There must be global volume control by hardware buttons as MiOdd said. The problem is exactly like he described.
- Bad touchpad calibration. Calibration from menu didn't helped - When I move the stylus over edges of the screen I get something like a trapezium not a rectangle. I've read here a lot of people have similar issue.
- Customizable menu. Ability to make own shortcuts(navigating every time through launcher is annoying)
- Ability to select quality of rendering flash movies.
- FLAC support in music player. Don't know why it is not there already.
- Ability to see files other then gpe in file manager.
- Better english support on official website.

EDIT:
- I'll buy another one Wiz if at least another USB-connector will be introduced.
- Maybe more RAM? So it won't become a bottleneck in few months when development scene will develop for Wiz.
- Wi-Fi will be useful if it could fit inside.
- Photo viewer freezes on second or third file(JPEG files about 1.3Mb large)

Existing Wiz's:
Fix the tear
Release a full firmware, doesnt need to have the games
Release files in a common place visible to those that need them (i.e dev's) Maybe better communication is needed instead.
OABI
Enable the caching in the kernel, so we dont need to use the mmuhack. (See open2x, they did it why cant gph?)

Future:
Increase ram size and improve bandwidth.

OK folks I have a few replies to some of your queries:

Q: Currently the screen tearing for many is a real issue, is SDL/OpenGLES still the only way to go to fix this?
A: Yes SDK will solve the tearing issue, the SDK manual will be released next month. However, they are trying fix screen problems in a firmware update.

Q: Is it possible to make the sound output higher when using headphones, it's currently a little on the quiet side?
A: They don't think this will be possible, but they will try their best and talk with the Dev Dept about that.

Q: Are there any plans to introduce an audio equalizer option in future firmware updates?
A: Unfortunately not at the moment as it may be too difficult, but as usual they will discuss it with the dev dept.

Q: Some have found the touchscreen to be inaccurate, even after calibration. They notice this is worse towards the edges of the screen. Will future firmware updates solve this issue?
A: GPH are fully aware of the issue and they are in the middle of fixing it.

Q: This is not really a question just an observation.but a few people have remarked that the USB cable is sitting unsteady in the Wiz.
A: This is possible with some units but it won't cause any problrms with charging or data connection to a computer.

Q: Are there any plans for customizeable menu themes?
A: You can customize the menu themes in the Wiz. Some users have already done it by themselves.

Q: Would it be possible to make the hole for the reset button larger so we can reset with the stylus?
A: Sorry but this currently is not possible as the cases have already been manufactered.

Q: The sound volume resets to 100% when you load an application, this can be extremely annoying when in public.
A: They are aware of this issue and will be addressing it in firmware.

Q: Are there any plans for a music player update? It's currently a bit sluggish, also how about making the L + R buttons skip songs?
A: They are going to talk to their Dev Dept and see if that is fixable in firmware.

Q: Last but not least, are there any plans for internal Wi-Fi?
A: Maybe in the next product not for this one. Sorry.

It's good to see feedback like that. Thanks WF.

Personally, I remain interested in the Wiz, but will wait a while longer and see how things go.

I have a question that maybe you can get an answer about - being an old fan of Her Knights, I wonder if the Wiz version will offer any technical improvements and/or added content over the old GP32 game. If you have a chance to find out, I'd be curious to know.

So how do I go about customizing it? The theme I mean, is there an option I'm not seeing here in the settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back