Wiz Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing I would like to add is for the menu:

- Make the bar scrollable with the touch screen. It is irritating as hell to go through a directory with a lot files when can't scroll or grab the bar.

Regards

André

Also, in any hardware revisions of the wiz, is there any way that there could be a place on the actual console to hold an extra SD card? They are easy to lose...

Also, in any hardware revisions of the wiz, is there any way that there could be a place on the actual console to hold an extra SD card? They are easy to lose...
Given that they said they're unwilling to make the reset hole bigger I would kind of think that things like this are out. Same goes with any other physical modifications whatsoever. Maybe in a later revision, but given how long it took them to make GP2X F200 even though they were addressing some basic problems that desperately needed fixing I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon. I don't think this thread is for suggestions for something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that they said they're unwilling to make the reset hole bigger I would kind of think that things like this are out. Same goes with any other physical modifications whatsoever. Maybe in a later revision, but given how long it took them to make GP2X F200 even though they were addressing some basic problems that desperately needed fixing I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon. I don't think this thread is for suggestions for something like that.
I'm sure GPH has their own program to test apps on their computer, couldn't they release it for devs and concerned end-users? I mean, they are all about open-source and everything, right?

I'm sure GPH has their own program to test apps on their computer, couldn't they release it for devs and concerned end-users? I mean, they are all about open-source and everything, right?
:lol:

I'm sure GPH has no such program.
Then how would they test their own programs and firmwares? By bricking a whole unit over and over again until they get it right?

No wonder development is so slow -_-

:lol:

I'm sure GPH has no such program.
Then how would they test their own programs and firmwares? By bricking a whole unit over and over again until they get it right?

No wonder development is so slow -_-
I dont think you understand embedded development. They have the tools to develop the pollux boards. They can simply replace and fix any part of the bootloader/kernel when they need to. When you only have the wiz by itself and no source, then its gets difficult.

I think that a third party is doing the firmware related thing, look for the logo in the loading.... :D

I have a request.

Can they make the icons able to be gifs and non-animated images?

Seriously, that would make things so much easier...

Wiz software is the combined efforts of many companies who don't know how to program well.
It makes me wonder why they don't release the tools and barebone firmware and such to the hobbyist developers. They're selling the hardware, right? Why sell a product with poorly developed software? That's like selling a quad core PC and having it ship with Windows ME.

It makes me wonder why they don't release the tools and barebone firmware and such to the hobbyist developers. They're selling the hardware, right? Why sell a product with poorly developed software? That's like selling a quad core PC and having it ship with Windows ME.
They really don't have any tools of their own. The only thing they hold is the datasheet/programming manual for the system on chip they're using, but actually, the manufacturer of that keeping it secret is quite bizarre and not at all typical for SoC's. I've looked at many of them and I wouldn't ever dream of making a purchasing decision for an evaluation module, much less a design decision without knowing the full details of the programming interface of the chip beforehand. Of course there are exceptions, like the SGX on OMAP3530.. but that's a cross-licensing situation.

Actually, it would seem you can get this data off of MES's site, but they just contain broken links. Sooner or later someone will just post the information here like they did with the GP2X and I doubt anyone will care.

It's fully possible for other people to do their own job of this, but they're just too busy.. the main problem is that by the time anyone gets anywhere with it the official software will be too standard on too many Wiz's and you won't be able to get people to move since everyone has already taken the plunge and adapted to it.

They really don't have any tools of their own. The only thing they hold is the datasheet/programming manual for the system on chip they're using, but actually, the manufacturer of that keeping it secret is quite bizarre and not at all typical for SoC's. I've looked at many of them and I wouldn't ever dream of making a purchasing decision for an evaluation module, much less a design decision without knowing the full details of the programming interface of the chip beforehand. Of course there are exceptions, like the SGX on OMAP3530.. but that's a cross-licensing situation.

Actually, it would seem you can get this data off of MES's site, but they just contain broken links. Sooner or later someone will just post the information here like they did with the GP2X and I doubt anyone will care.

It's fully possible for other people to do their own job of this, but they're just too busy.. the main problem is that by the time anyone gets anywhere with it the official software will be too standard on too many Wiz's and you won't be able to get people to move since everyone has already taken the plunge and adapted to it.
So basically...

Wow. They released hardware, with little intention on working seriously on the firmware? Either that, or they have no idea what they're doing. I wonder what their business plan even is... not that I"m complaining. I love this little thing, but seriously, wow.

I don't think they really had to care about most of the software, which was done by MES themselves and the company they hired to do Linux support (Aesop). Just GPH can't do much to adapt it for a gaming machine instead of the reference design MES sells. And at those parts they don't really know what they're doing that well, like how to make an appropriate shell or provide good workarounds for the portrait problem (or really explain the problem or anything like that).

Not to say that the Linux code is very good, but from MES's point of view they probably intend on selling the SoC for single purpose devices where strong OS support isn't necessarily a huge deal and can be worked around. But Wiz is far from a single purpose device and GPH are relying on outside people to do most of the software for it.

Not to say that the Linux code is very good, but from MES's point of view they probably intend on selling the SoC for single purpose devices where strong OS support isn't necessarily a huge deal and can be worked around. But Wiz is far from a single purpose device and GPH are relying on outside people to do most of the software for it.
Aye, so the people we should be asking for updates from would be MES then, right?

Request: stronger autorun feature.

gp2xmenu should check the presence of an autorun.gpu file in /mnt/sd/ each time it is run, so that custom menus are viable alternatives to the stock one. This really should be easy to implement, and it would bring a lot of good things in return.

Please let GPH know of this WF :)

Request: stronger autorun feature.
gp2xmenu should check the presence of an autorun.gpu file in /mnt/sd/ each time it is run, so that custom menus are viable alternatives to the stock one. This really should be easy to implement, and it would bring a lot of good things in return.

Please let GPH know of this WF :)

Will do :)

Edit:
The next set of feedback/questions have been sent to GPH, as usual I will post responses here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back