Wiz Ext Pinout?

sbock

Chaos is our mode and modus
Does somebody know the pinout from the ext port?
Afaik it's different from the GP2X F100/200.
At least my serial conection don't work...

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Stephan

OK, with a lot of help from a nice guy and hardware guru at the german boards (Hi Andy!) here comes a partial pinout for the MK1 Wiz:

04 - Power Out +3,7V
05 - Power Out +3,7V
06 - Power_EN (Dev Board)
07 - CFG Shawdow (Dev Board)
08 - CFG Bootmode 1 (Dev Board)
09 - CFG Bootmode 0 (Dev Board)
10 - USB - Data (Slave)
12 - Ground
13 - RXD
14 - TXD
15 - USB + Data (Slave)
16 - USB Power +5V (Slave Input)
17 - USB + Data (Host)
18 - USB - Data (Host)
19 - Ground
20 - Video out (Composite/FBAS)
21 - Power In +5V (Loading)
22 - Power In +5V (Loading)
23 - Audio left
24 - Audio right

Not confirmed/working yet:

01 - Ground (?)
02 - RXD (2)
03 - TXD (2)
07 - TDO
08 - TCK
09 - TMS
11 - TDI

Important: The numbers on the EXT connector are counting from right to left, not vice versa as in the GP2x Wiki!

The EXT connector on the Wiz (and the Samsung E810 plug) seem to count this way:

Code:
------------------------
24                     1

Level shifting is necessary as with the F-100/200 for serial connections. You can use a Samsung E810 serial data cable and modify it.
The prototype units and the MK1 may have slightly different pinouts!
USB Host works with firmware 1.1.0.

Disclaimer: All data without guaranty!

Kudos go to andymanone for the most of the work. Thanks a bunch!

More to come...

Regards,
Stephan

GP2x WIZ over Serial Connection (YouTube)

Who made that video (which demos a serial connection) then? :)

Someone from the German forums? (Well, his OS is German.)

Edit: That serial stuff... will that also work if Linux is run in a VM (VirtualBox)?
Edit2: Just saw the serial port stuff in VirtualBox. Guess it should work then. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
In this video he is using a Samsung E810 data cable. I have one for my GP2X!!
This means that we can make a cable using the info from Stephan and the info of the GP2X Wiki. The pins are different now.

Hardyx posted on May 25 2009 at 01:05 AM said:
In this video he is using a Samsung E810 data cable. I have one for my GP2X!!
This means that we can make a cable using the info from Stephan and the info of the GP2X Wiki. The pins are different now.
Yes, you can do it w/o problems ;) !

I took a Samsung 810-cable and modified it in oct 2008 sucessfully for my Wiz MK0 !

DSCN4694800x600.JPG

You have only to solder the 4 lines to the new Pinout of the final Wiz ext. connector,
the serial connector side you can leave so as described in the wiki.

Greetings,
andYManOne

After a night of hacking around, mounting the SD and piping output to a .txt file, I'm thoroughly ready to build myself one of these cables .. but the pinout isn't really clear.

I have a stock of the connectors from my GP2X hacking days .. but is it possible you could take a photo of your cable and post it somewhere for us to see as guidance?

I just ordered myself a Samsung E810 cable. So after I get the soldering done, I will try to get shell access.

torpor said:
After a night of hacking around, mounting the SD and piping output to a .txt file, I'm thoroughly ready to build myself one of these cables .. but the pinout isn't really clear.

I have a stock of the connectors from my GP2X hacking days .. but is it possible you could take a photo of your cable and post it somewhere for us to see as guidance?

Just look into the GP2x WIKI:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SamsungE810Cable or

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SamsungE810Cable_newrev

The WIZ only has a different EXT pinout. Resoldering the 4 wires is all you need.

So .. just to be clear .. no internal modifications to the WIZ? I dunno where I got that from but I guess I misunderstood someone talking about it on IRC or something.

torpor said:
So .. just to be clear .. no internal modifications to the WIZ? I dunno where I got that from but I guess I misunderstood someone talking about it on IRC or something.

No, there're no internal modifications necessary. Only the pinout is different.
All you need is a level shifter. ( The same as for the GP2x). In the Samsung cable everything is included. If you have a serial cable working together with the GP2x you just have to resolder 4 wires.

Hi, I was wondering something.

On the last pre-release (October 2008) prototype Wiz + boards it's possible to set the boot config signals over the board, so they must be brought over its ext connector. It should be easy enough for someone with the prototype unit and board to find which pins are connected using a voltmeter off the BoB. Unfortunately I don't have one.

If the boot mode can be set then it should be possible to unbrick the Wiz without needing a compatible JTAG emulator.

Is it this you need?

6-Power_EN
7-CFG Shawdow
8-CFG Bootmode 1
9-CFG Bootmode 0

Any more info the the JTAG pinout? I'm looking at building an FT2232 based jtag/serial combo cable. :)

New info (I think :) ):

4171885648_ed109b5bee_b.jpg

The internal view of the GP2X "Wiz" ext connector. Pins 12 & 19 which are +5v in (loading) are shorted together internally, and pins 21 & 22 which are ground, are shorted together internally also.

This allows us to free up two pins inside the standard supplied USB cable, and move them to pins 13 & 14 (RXD & TXD) for serial port monitoring.

### This is *not* guess work - I am a qualified electronics engineer, and I guarantee you that I have triple checked everything shown here, and it is correct to the best of my knowledge. ###

### PLEASE NOTE THAT THE COLOUR CODING IN THIS PHOTO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COLOUR OF THE WIRES INSIDE THE EXT CABLE - THESE WERE SIMPLY CHOSEN FOR CLARITY!! ###

glossywhite said:
New info (I think :) ):

4171885648_ed109b5bee_b.jpg

The internal view of the GP2X "Wiz" ext connector. Pins 12 & 19 which are +5v in (loading) are shorted together internally, and pins 21 & 22 which are ground, are shorted together internally also.

This allows us to free up two pins inside the standard supplied USB cable, and move them to pins 13 & 14 (RXD & TXD) for serial port monitoring.

### This is *not* guess work - I am a qualified electronics engineer, and I guarantee you that I have triple checked everything shown here, and it is correct to the best of my knowledge. ###

### PLEASE NOTE THAT THE COLOUR CODING IN THIS PHOTO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COLOUR OF THE WIRES INSIDE THE EXT CABLE - THESE WERE SIMPLY CHOSEN FOR CLARITY!! ###

Just checking, but we now have the Wiz pinout information as:
----------------------------------------------

04 - Power Out +3,7V
05 - Power Out +3,7V
06 - Power_EN (Dev Board)
07 - CFG Shadow (Dev Board)
08 - CFG Bootmode 1 (Dev Board)
09 - CFG Bootmode 0 (Dev Board)
10 - USB - Data (Slave)
12 – Ground (connected internally on the wiz to pin 19)
13 - RXD
14 - TXD
15 - USB + Data (Slave)
16 - USB Power +5V (Slave Input)
17 - USB + Data (Host)
18 - USB - Data (Host)
19 – Ground (connected internally on the wiz to pin 12)
20 - Video out (Composite/FBAS)
21 - Power In +5V (Loading) (connected internally on the wiz to pin 22)
22 - Power In +5V (Loading) (connected internally on the wiz to pin 21)
23 - Audio left
24 - Audio right

Not confirmed/working yet:

01 - Ground (?)
02 - RXD (2)
03 - TXD (2)
11 - TDI
----------------------------------------------

Any info on the 4 not confirmed/working pins yet ?

Back