Wiz Display Color Distortion

rbusa

I noticed that when I compare my flat panel monitor and Wiz's OLED,
I see totally different color when I play some vids with blue, orange and dark green.

Do you experience the same weirdness?

SaS

There is a big difference for me too... The colors are more vivid, and black is... black :)

I held it up against my GP2X-F200 the other day. Damn. I'm sad they are going back to LCD (but maybe it is for the best).

How long have you had your Wiz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED#Disadvantages

Color balance issues: Additionally, as the OLED material used to produce blue light degrades significantly more rapidly than the materials that produce other colors, blue light output will decrease relative to the other colors of light. This differential color output change will change the color balance of the display and is much more noticeable than a decrease in overall luminance.[sup][59][/sup] This can be partially avoided by adjusting colour balance but this may require advanced control circuits and interaction with the user, which is unacceptable for some users. In order to delay the problem, manufacturers bias the colour balance towards blue so that the display initially has an artificially blue tint, leading to complaints of artificial-looking, over-saturated colors. More commonly, though, manufacturers optimize the size of the R, G and B subpixels to reduce the current density through the subpixel in order to equalize lifetime at full luminance. For example, a blue subpixel may be 100% larger than the green subpixel. The red subpixel may be 10% smaller than the green.

RupeeClock said:
How long have you had your Wiz?
LOL - I have it THREE months

And in Informations is:
Code:
S/N 2009.10.17 - GP2XV101 - 00000368

Last edited by a moderator:
Every available display shows differences in gamma and chroma reproduction. This is the one reason why displays used in prepress production must be calibrated.
I think the difference between LCD and OLED is even higher. I noticed the same as :SaS:*rbusa.
A very similar problem can be seen when you compare GP2x F-100 with F-200 displays. This is the reason A_SN created a tool for gamma correction.

Back