Wiz 3d Acceleration; Where's The Roof?

CronoTriggerfan

Website
pixelstopolygons.com
I got into a discussion about this with a friend on a gaming podcast (check us out if you care! :p ) about the Wiz. He's probably going to buy one while I'll probably wait for Pandora so we can compare homebrew throughout the lifecycle of each device.

Anywho, we started talking about the 3D acceleration aspect of the Wiz, and I got to thinking, "What's possible?" Could we get full-speed PSX someday? Perhaps some iteration of 3D Linux ports like TuxRacer and some older FPS's? I heard someone mention Quake 3 a while back, that seems a bit much to me, but I'm no programmer. Quake 2, perhaps?

I guess this is all speculation at this point, but I'm sure given the specs, someone could make an educated guess. Anyone care to try their hand? :p

Quake3 was demonstrated on the XGP which was had similar 3D capabilities and a much slower CPU. 200MHz ARM9 overclocked to 266MHz if I remember.

It ran very smooth, but had the view zoomed in through the entire video.

With the extra CPU speed and more modern architecture, maybe we could zoom-out this time.

So, Quake3, yes. Quake2, yes. PSX, yes. (Or atleast the graphics can keep up)

Just remember that the Pandora may have a CPU that is 7 or so times more powerful, but it will also have to render 5 times an many pixels which will need a higher LOD to look decent. Wiz has an ok 3D accelerator, a lot of power for such a small device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5JIy6i5Kk

hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
@icurafu I dont understand why a higher maximum resolution means you have to render at this size. You could render at 400x240 and still have a very good pixel density, about the same as the gp2x. Add to that bilinear filtering and it would look great, especially in a 3d game.

icurafu said:
Just remember that the Pandora may have a CPU that is 7 or so times more powerful, but it will also have to render 5 times an many pixels which will need a higher LOD to look decent. Wiz has an ok 3D accelerator, a lot of power for such a small device.
I'm sorry but that is really utter crap. Two or Three times as powerful maybe but Seven is just a ridiculous number. Unless you are talking about floating point math only? As the Wiz does not have any sort of FPU so that could be a different matter.

At running the exact same code, I'd seriously doubt it too, but if you take into account ARMv8 compared to ARMv4, which also means Neon, then add DSP + 3D accel, faster ram, etc. It could easily be more than 3 times faster at several things.

Squidge said:
At running the exact same code, I'd seriously doubt it too, but if you take into account ARMv8 compared to ARMv4, which also means Neon, then add DSP + 3D accel, faster ram, etc. It could easily be more than 3 times faster at several things.
Is ARM926EJ-S not ARMv5? I'm sure I compiled mplayer with those basic DSP functions enabled and it seemed to work at least :S.

Orkie said:
Is ARM926EJ-S not ARMv5? I'm sure I compiled mplayer with those basic DSP functions enabled and it seemed to work at least :S.
Yeah, it's ARMv5TEJ. And Cortex-A8 is ARMv7a.

What are the main advantages of the ARMv5 over the ARMv4 architecture from the GP2X F-100/200?

Orkie mentioned DSP Enhancement Instructions which are useful for multimedia apps I think?
What's with the Tight Coupled Memory feature? Will there be any benefit?

Will Jazelle DBX be usable under Linux?

Regards,
Stephan

Peter R said:
icurafu said:
I'm sorry but that is really utter crap. Two or Three times as powerful maybe but Seven is just a ridiculous number. Unless you are talking about floating point math only? As the Wiz does not have any sort of FPU so that could be a different matter.

7 times that of the XGP. I agree with two to three... I was trying to compare both to te XGP but I can see how I made it confusing. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Back