GP2X Wireless Via Cf Card -> Usb ?

haplo

Still Fresh
Website
www.mindstab.net
I've already ordered the gp2x and one of the uses I was thinking about was building it into a mini robot. Since the console isnt super powerful and I'd want to maybe store mass amounts of data I'd want the gp2x to be networked as it puttered about my basement so larger stationary computers could do some thinking for it. So will I be able to get it online via wifi somehow? I thought of

CF wifi card -> usb cf card reader -> usb hub (with things like motors also plugged in) -> gpx2

Any one know if this is feasible?

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 19 2005 at 10:28 AM said:
There are WiFi SDIO cards that you can plug into the SD card slot. However, there won't be any official drivers from the start so somebody have to make them first.
If there are linux drivers for those things I think it should be easy to get them working (in theory, at least).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the SD wifi sounds like a good start, but that means I'd have to have all my code running on the gp2x before putting it in the sd slot, so I'd have to sopy my code over to the nand ram and it really wouldnt be able to store anything locally ever. Thats better than nothing but does any one have any better news?

The usb blue tooth dongle may work, but isnt the range on those rather limited. As in roaming around my room instead of my basement?

haplo posted on Sep 20 2005 at 09:40 AM said:
Well, the SD wifi sounds like a good start, but that means I'd have to have all my code running on the gp2x before putting it in the sd slot, so I'd have to sopy my code over to the nand ram and it really wouldnt be able to store anything locally ever.
It contains NAND Flash so you should be able to store files on there, assuming that it's writable from user software ofcourse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after some initial searching, it also looks like there are some usb wifi cards/donlges. Now I hope some of them are orinoco based and thus should work with linux...
here is a list of some supported usb / orinoco devices
http://www.nongnu.org/orinoco/devices/

I found a slightly later model usb smc card selling at a local store. I'm going to google more and may pick it up to test it at home.

Back