So, which devices/ports are bootable?

Grench

Forum Addict!
I didn't want to further clog the news post with this side conversation.

Pyra has lots of ports & card slots. Which ones can it boot from in the current SoC board revision?

eMMC = yes
microSDXC = yes
left SDXC = yes
right SDXC = ?
eSATA = ?
microUSB 3.0 OTG = ?
left USB 2.0 = ?
right USB 2.0 = ?
microUSB charging/serial port = ? (unlikely...)
WiFi network adapter = ? (unlikely, but there are computers that can netboot so it's in this list)
HDMI = no

Can it boot from a USB stick plugged into either of the USB ports?
How will this be handled with telling it which one to boot from? Magic menu accessed via special keys held at boot? Which ones?

Why do you need to know this? It doesn't work like x86 PCs where you tend to boot from a live image then use that to master the internal discs, ARM Linuxes thus far have almost always needed another computer to prepare a card. I guess that might change in the future, but probably not in the Pyra's lifetime.

In theory there is Ethernet via HDMI, so there could be a weird way to boot!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

In theory there is Ethernet via HDMI, so there could be a weird way to boot!
Don't expect any additional HDMI features to be supported, you'll most likely get a dumb video/audio out port that doesn't support anything else.

Don't expect any additional HDMI features to be supported, you'll most likely get a dumb video/audio out port that doesn't support anything else.

Actually DDC is basically an I²C bus so theoretically you could store something on an I²C attached flash chip. Those chips typically come in at a few megabytes tops and it's probably super inconvenient to boot a handheld device from an external monitor, but that's not the point.

Back