Windows Telemetry - Concerns...

Does anyone know if the findings in this guys report are true or not?

I don't want to install Windows 10 because of this (and what I think will come next), but I don't think its a good idea to spread the link to this article further: its basically just a rewrite of the article that was linked already here in the Windows 10 thread (which is mentioned, but the link to it isn't obvious or maybe not even there) without anything to add or at least something to back up the original claims. Looking at "sister articles" like the one claiming that some people are forced to install Win10 or that Win10 would be mandatory by January 2016 (which is just wrong), I have a feeling that entries on that site are of rather dubious quality

Last edited by a moderator:
Win 10 is already downloaded automatically by Win 8 and 7 machines, and was automatically installed on some PCs, but Microsoft told it was because of a bug...

Then they told that in some future, Win 10 will be set as a recommended update in Windows Update, and by now, recommended updates can be deselected.

As written in the article, the source of this news is not considered very trustworthy, so I'd rather wait until it's confirmed by something/someone a bit more trustworthy. 

So far, all I've seen from trustworthy sources is that Windows does still send data after everything was disabled, but it's unclear what that data is. The article could still be right though, that's in line with what more and more companies are doing.

I worry more about the use of that data by other people who get an access to it (from governments to random hackers to individual microsoft employees) than by microsoft itself...

Generally speaking those big companies either don't know what to do with data, or just feed them to some big data algorithm and forget about it. 

The real problem is that the data is out there and theoretically anyone can access it (and will be able to access it a few years in the future, when algorithms will have gotten better and be able to really mine the data efficiently).

Maybe this is all some big plot by Linus Torvalds to destroy Windows from the inside.

He has become a bit wacky after all. :D

Win 10 is already downloaded automatically by Win 8 and 7 machines, and was automatically installed on some PCs, but Microsoft told it was because of a bug...

Are there any more reports then two (out of several million Win7/8 users9) to back that up. Averting the Windows 10 update nagging is easily done by removing (and "hiding") an update - same for the telemetry collection

Then they told that in some future, Win 10 will be set as a recommended update in Windows Update, and by now, recommended updates can be deselected.

Are you referring to the "doom date" of January 2016 ? All I could find was that at that point you can't deselect updates on certain Versions of Win10 anymore, NOT you can't prevent Win 7/8 from updating to Win10.

Looking further into that site, I would say its either clickbaiting or whoever writes these articles has other problems then Windows 10. Look at this, if the fact that the author of that article takes the time to link the word "Microsoft" to google maps and windows to the MS Windows site (may be an automatic process) but has no intention at all to link to the mentioned blogpost or maybe even a second source to back that up (or the big "truth revealed" at the top of the page :wacko: ), should at least make you think about the quality of the articles that are presented there.

Edit: looked "outside" of the windows 10 realm on that site, this is either the worst conspiracy crap site "ever" or extremely good satire (unlikely but who knows)

I wouldn't trust microsoft with anything but the whole windows7/8 update stuff seems to be harmless, if you can trust heise.de which are a pretty serious and IT news agency.

http://m.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Angebliche-Schnueffel-Updates-fuer-Windows-7-und-8-1-2792343.html

too bad I don't have anything in english. they are saying in the article, that the proposed updates are essentially improvement for already running data aquisition services, namely the "report why this crap has crashed once again" nag screen functionality of winblows. so, they are not spying more on people than they have before. doesn't mean they won't push another update, that integrates more spyware in the future though.

the proposed updates are essentially improvement for already running data aquisition services, namely the "report why this crap has crashed once again" nag screen functionality of winblows. so, they are not spying more on people than they have before. doesn't mean they won't push another update, that integrates more spyware in the future though.

I can understand crash reports in free operating systems, but stuff like this just shouldn't be happening in a paid one from a company that has enough money to test and fix their OS on most hardware and software combinations out there.

Letting your customers systems work for you (often without even telling them) is so wrong and no excuse for data mining.

What are people paying M$ for? A shitty OS with a decreasing life-span each generation that isn't even properly fixed before shipping?

Last time I checked a few months ago, Win7 did cost about 130€ in hardware stores. This is insane, if you compare it to free ones that are giving me a more user friendly experience by now.

a company that has enough money to test and fix their OS on most hardware and software combinations out there.

If MS (or any other software company out there) would really want to test every hardware and software combination that is possible (which is already impossible) we would still be waiting for Windows 3 to come out somewhere between now and in the next ten years.

yeah it's ridiculous. and exactly the reason why I stopped using microsoft software years ago in the first place. now I have to use windows 7 on work computers for media production and it sickens me. all the nag screen and gui BS is already bad, but I don't even want to think about privacy issues. apart from all that, it also makes maintenance a chore. things I am used to do, like making backup images of harddrives, are so tedious. everything that should be standard has to be added with 3rd party software, weird installers downloaded from shareware sites with weird adware/spyware. everything seems to be a potential security risk. and I despise the whole windows "i am a user installed software, now I keep reminding the user to update because users are too retarded to do it on their own" thing every program seems to do. 

If MS (or any other software company out there) would really want to test every hardware and software combination that is possible (which is already impossible) we would still be waiting for Windows 3 to come out somewhere between now and in the next ten years.

Where did I write "every hardware and software combination?" you fall back into your habit of twisting content around for the sake of disaggreeing, which you so seem to love for some destructive reason. I often wonder why you're posts are often filled with this toxicity, especcially when you are reacting to me. Remembering our last conversation you clearly think I'm a liar anyway, so nothing is to gain for you by reading my stuff, so you can just as well save the time.

yeah it's ridiculous. and exactly the reason why I stopped using microsoft software years ago in the first place. now I have to use windows 7 on work computers for media production and it sickens me. all the nag screen and gui BS is already bad, but I don't even want to think about privacy issues. apart from all that, it also makes maintenance a chore. things I am used to do, like making backup images of harddrives, are so tedious. everything that should be standard has to be added with 3rd party software, weird installers downloaded from shareware sites with weird adware/spyware. everything seems to be a potential security risk. and I despise the whole windows "i am a user installed software, now I keep reminding the user to update because users are too retarded to do it on their own" thing every program seems to do. 

I really hope, that I'll never have to use Windows at work but in my sector it's unlikely anway since it's not related to computers and even CNC-machines often run on Linux for good reason.

Remembering a former presentation, they don't even seem to properly fixing it for the combinations of the systems they are presenting their stuff on and yes, Silicon Valley has enough capacitiy to test all of the most common combinations, especcially since there aren't as many different graphics drivers around anymore as there were 15 years ago.

GWXUX has just stopped working :D

It still have to find the time to remove that shit

Where did I write "every hardware and software combination?" you fall back into your habit of twisting content around for the sake of disaggreeing, which you so seem to love for some destructive reason. I often wonder why you're posts are often filled with this toxicity, especcially when you are reacting to me. Remembering our last conversation you clearly think I'm a liar anyway, so nothing is to gain for you by reading my stuff, so you can just as well save the time.

Your right I misread that, sorry, but could you define "most" then, please. And then apply your definition to what I wrote and tell me the difference. This has nothing to do with "twisting words around" (and I would very much like to know where I did that in the past), I develop software for a living for more then 10 years now and its hard as hell to get enough realistic test cases into quality assurance. Even when I developed software for 68k Motorola based embedded system, my company gave 1 day of software development on site for free as it was impossible to think of all test cases for the occurances in production sites the product was used in. And that is already a very limited system compared to whole operating system with houndreds of thousands of possible hardware combinations alone - and thats just for the part MS has tight control of, what about drivers and the millions of software pieces that are available to install ?

You seem to have a twisted view on our debates, I never brought up the term liar, I just asked for proof for your statement, everything you offered then was blabbing about censorship that is all around. When I tried to get into that, you just ignored my arguments. But again your mind is already set, now I am the one who thinks that you are a liar, well at least you did not call me an "agent of the games industry" or accused me of having two accounts to stress you more (however that should work out) , like before.

Well I resent any organization trying to keep tabs on me, regardless of their intentions.

I will deliberately f♥$k with them on principle.

So as I have described in not so many words elsewhere...

Any information extracted from my devices or computers will indeed paint a very convincing picture.

Listening to my telephone conversations will likewise paint a complimentary picture....

And anyone keeping tabs on my physical movements will indeed find these pictures confirmed.

Not only that, but any being with the capacity to observe the workings of my mind in an 'esoteric' manner would be met with utterly convincing emotional and conceptual method acting.

I often involve myself in that which I detest for the sake of picture painting.

So I have a win 7 pc, which I have no affection for, and will soon probably have to deal with win 8.1 on another machine.

This doesn't bother me as it is my construct that is being hoodwinked by the self appointed elite 'clever' ones. (please take note of my sarcastic tone)

So if I have gone to such extensive measures to opperate invisibly for all these years... why the big reveal now?

To be honest, I'm rather dissapointed in certain 'people' for not uncovering more of the picture by now. (Don't worry, you guys aren't the subjects I am directing this ire at... well, except for YOU and YOU).

I left enough clues... if only they exercised their claimed 'brilliance'... I have to say I am extremely unimpressed. (arrogance and superiority makes blind fools out of potentially brilliant beings)

You should never make claims to me you can't back up. I WILL create extensive knock on circumstances that will eventually and persistently expose all angles of the actuality that will be outside of your control to evade.

Foolish decision after foolish decision without cogniscience of all the factors at play.

In light of this lifelong tragic comedy of errors, that arrogant superior attitude you still maintain is frankly quite shameful and ....embarrasing.

In the reality I am generating, nothing exists that isn't supremely impressive.

That you should go to such lengths to exclude yourself from what I would give freely is...

So incredibly stupid.

Oh, uh... down with microsoft!!!

The most disturbing thing for me is the often used argument "but people are showing every shit of their lives on Facebook anyway".

It's no spying when the information is given freely. There is no way to be an open person if every bit of information has already been stolen from you anyway.

Besides that not everybody has an account at Facebook, believe it or not.

I'll never have one and hope against all odds, that Facebook won't last (as a platform and as an argument for spyware), although that's like hoping for humans to quit keeping their extreme herd mentality. :rolleyes:

I do have a facebook account, which is dormant.... for reasons of my previous post.

I would be delighted if they caved.

They wont.

We can all look forward to even more insidious corruptions of individual rights and loss of privacy with the dawning of VRnet.

Hmm... I just had a mental image of a FacehuggerBook Rift latched to the heads of millions of sedated and hypnotized hosts....

All steadilly being 'seeded' to incubate the Alien Virtual Reality, while sucking the vitality and lifeforce from the hosts.

Back