Windows Telemetry - Concerns...

Fzero

Advanced Member
Does anyone know if the findings in this guys report are true or not?

http://www.disclose.tv/news/a_terrifying_traffic_analysis_of_windows_10/121544

Seems a bit worrying if they are, due to the amount of stuff uploaded, including initial moments of webcams and microphone and a log of keystrokes.

As mentioned in the comments of this page;

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/how-to-block-spying-telemetry-services/0f104191-c329-4bd4-83d7-60390f2aa5eb

It looks like removing it all is a bit of an effort, and these are now forced in Win10 rather than being an opt-in service as I believe always was in previous versions

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry like google, Microsoft has only good intentions with all that data.

Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background

O_O

So it begins:

batmansonar.jpg
ç

Updated the title, I didn't know about the back-porting either, interesting

Well, sounds like a very good reason to not get Windows 10. Ever.

At least if one can avoid it...

Could be hard when DX12 starts to really kick in. ^^" And gaming is actualy the only reason to use Windows.

No still not enough reason. I game entirely in Linux if available or have to deal with it on PS4. Cutting off all support of Microsoft is the only way to get them to change their ways. Although at this point there isn't much that would get me to go back.

Could be hard when DX12 starts to really kick in. ^^" And gaming is actualy the only reason to use Windows.

Absolutely. I just wish Steam OS would make all the games I'm going to play available on Linux before I have to switch to Win 10.

I know, I know. It's probably not going to happen.

WTF. Somebody help us all.

Half of my family upgraded from W7, and now you're telling me that we're all screwed with the backporting ?

I knew I had a good reason not to upgrade for now.

I was planning on W10 virtualization once I get on Linux. Looks like I may do that earlier than planned... without Windows at all.

DX12 may not be a good reason. Vulkan is a pretty good competitor to date.

Funny but at the time our governments' constitutions were written, privacy was as much common sense that no one actually thought of writing it. Look at where we are now. Patriot Act my ass.

So what now ? I've had internet issues for a month now, not hooked up my computer long enough for any update. Please tell me we've got a saviour.

I personally would rather miss out on some games (or wait a bit longer for Linux release) than to have to deal with whatever tricks Microsoft decides to pull off next. Then again I made the jump a long time ago.

How bad is this?

I was getting my Gaming Laptop to finally be able to play games again on Windows without worry about Linux compatibility.

Have 3 HDDs Linux + Windows + Data.

I have Win 8.1 and unfortunately done the latest update.

Any way to get rid of the spyware again?

Or do I even have to care when the only thing I'll do is gaming.

(The HDD with all the sensitive Data is mounted on the system. Are they even scanning when not in use?)

So I'd better not do anything expect gaming with my Windows now.

Last time I heard, you didn't even have to plug in a PS4 to get disc-based games to run.  Although if my experience of the 360 is anything to go by, games fairly regularly niggle you to sign up by withholding features.

Thanks for the links, I'll spread them.

So MS is evading the argument of not upgrading to Win10 due to privacy concerns by simply throwing Win7 and 8 into the same mud, great.
Just proves once again, that people should make an offline gaming partition out of their Windows and switch to Linux for everything else.

I'm increasingly happy to have made this some years ago already with the help of this community and the OpenPandora as an "entry drug".

I personally would rather miss out on some games (or wait a bit longer for Linux release) than to have to deal with whatever tricks Microsoft decides to pull off next. Then again I made the jump a long time ago.

I'd rather stop getting new games at all just like I did when everything was suddenly Steam only.
I'd rather stop gaming completely than supporting MS, I've got enough other hobbies, but fortunately gaming on Linux has become quite comfortable.

don't all the big consoles have telemetry, too?
I stopped buying consoles after the PS2 but apparently everybody is okay with them having always-on DRM now.
Well, I've got a Wii that was never online at all (at least not since I got it), but apart from that, I can't understand why people are just accepting this bollocks with newer consoles either.
Online DRM is a complete No-Go for me.

Last edited:
don't all the big consoles have telemetry, too?

I stopped buying consoles after the PS2 but apparently everybody is okay with them having always-on DRM now.

They do, but I'm less concerned with Sony knowing I spend an exorbitant amount of time playing GTA V then every detail of what I do on my desktop Operating System.  

It's all so they can take better care of us.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/28/technology/microsoft-windows-10-privacy/index.html

Home computers 100% Linux since Vista.  Not missing Windows a bit.

"But but the game I want isn't on Steam for Linux...."

Tough love for the game makers, but I only buy games that have Linux versions.  I haven't been bored a bit.  My current main game negative time generator is Worlds of Magic.  The Linux version is working very nicely now.

So - if you want change, let your wallet talk.  Buy commercial Linux games and Linux pre-loaded computers.  That includes Pandora and future Pyra.

Privacy concerns are not stopping people from upgrading to Windows 10, mind you. Windows 10 was downloaded 75 million times in its first month, which is the fastest upgrade rate in Windows history.

There'd go my last bit of faith in general humanity if I wouldn't have already lost it a long time ago.

Why does no one care about this brave new 84?

I had a "discussion" with an extremely dumb hardware seller a few months ago about Windows and (non-existent) Linux availability in their systems and I just can't wrap my head around the obliviousness of people and I'm not even a tech savvy guy (as he was supposed to be) but just someone building things out of wood!

There'd go my last bit of faith in general humanity if I wouldn't have already lost it a long time ago.

Why does no one care about this brave new 84?

I had a "discussion" with an extremely dumb hardware seller a few months ago about Windows and (non-existent) Linux availability in their systems and I just can't wrap my head around the obliviousness of people and I'm not even a tech savvy guy (as he was supposed to be) but just someone building things out of wood!

Microsoft's greatest achievement has been keeping their users ignorant.

Back