Windows Games..

edwin_cartagena

Still Fresh
hello, just wondering if this can work on the pandora..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7VHGNZ3xU...feature=related
i dont know nothing about programming and stuff... im just a kid that wants halo on a small device.. :D
:unsure:
or just maybe a open source small device <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
nope no windows games other then maybe solitaire and minesweeper. No halo... unless someone does something creative with the quake engine.

linux on an ARM (embeded) device is not like linux on a normal desktop computer.

edwin henoc said:
hello, just wondering if this can work on the pandora..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7VHGNZ3xU...feature=related
i dont know nothing about programming and stuff... im just a kid that wants halo on a small device.. :D
:unsure:
or just maybe a open source small device <_<

Not going to work, only way to get Windows games on the Pandora is if they are ported (either by the dev team if they are closed source or by anyone who has the skill if they are open source).

Now run for the hills before the forum dogs attack you for not searching the forums.

Perhaps some Windows CE games though, there are a lot of franchised games (like Call of Duty) for Pocket PC that may work eventually.

Eniko said:
Zeno Arrow said:
Now run for the hills before the forum dogs attack you for not searching the forums.

Instead of attacking him for not searching the forums can I at least make a friendly recommendation to read the Frequently Asked Questions first next time? :huh:

Of course, that's fine, it shows control when you can post friendly advice even after reading the same questions repeated ad nauseum. I might have turned out to be one of those 'forum dogs', but for some reason I took pity on this edwin henoc fellow.

Bigun said:
With the development of OpenGL drivers, wouldn't it be possible to use this with Cedega?
Nope. Nothing do do with available software, WINE and WINE-based products like Cedega only work on the processors that Windows will also run on (i.e. x86, x64). If you want Windows software you'll either need a port to be made or rely on Windows CE/Mobile software (which may run okay in some form due to Windows CE/Mobile supporting ARM CPUs).

Bigun said:
With the development of OpenGL drivers, wouldn't it be possible to use this with Cedega?
No. Cedega, like Wine, relies on x86.

Wine and Cedega don't work because these games are still compiled for an x86 system.

Unless somebody has the source code and takes the time to compile it for ARM systems, there is no way to make a program run on here. That's why we're using Linux, and there is no way to have Windows or any of its closed-source programs on it, except for a small handful of games whose devs seem to be porting on their own.

lulzfish said:
That's why we're using Linux
[Pedant]Even if the Pandora could support Windows I imagine the default OS would still be Linux-based due to the increased customisation options and reduced licensing cost.[/Pedant]

fischju2000 said:
Perhaps some Windows CE games though, there are a lot of franchised games (like Call of Duty) for Pocket PC that may work eventually.
Not right now, and not in the next year, probably

To get a windows CE game to work on the pandora one would need either win ce on the pandora or wine for win CE arm

win CE on the pandora would be technically feasible, as long as somebody is willing to pay huge licensing fees, and afaik do the porting work. Should the pandora sell half as much as a DS, there will surely be someone willing to do so, but then we would also start to see direct ports of such franchised games :)

wine for win CE arm is something that has been suggested at least once on the wine mailing lists, so they may get to work on it eventually, but consider that it took 15 years to get to the 1.0 release of plain wine, so even if they started now it could as well take 7+ years to get something working

Back