Windows Ce 5.0 Gp32

Jarska333 posted on Mar 26 2005 at 09:43 AM said:
Surely GP will not have enough juice/mhz to actually run anything?

Actually, maybe a wordpad. :p

So GP32 runs hundreds of Homebrew, emulators including NES, SMS, TG16, Megadrive titles... but it doesn't have the juice to run anything?

So it has enough juice to run everything already in existance for the GP32. Put it like this, say I have a game written for GP32, if I ported it to Pocket PC, in theory it would run the same speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The page's last modified says september 3rd of last year, so I think we can safely say that unless anybody else starts a Win CE project we won't be living with Wordpad anytime soon. :(

shinneri posted on Mar 26 2005 at 07:03 AM said:
The only viable competitor to Windows in Mac. I've never gotten extensive use on a Mac computer (minus the Apple II), but I have heard good things and believe it's accessible by the general public.

Microsoft's OS isn't perfect but show me one that is--Linux sure as heck is not.

Isn't MAC OS X just a version of Linux? (actually that's a bit of an insult to NeXTStep/OpenStep the true precursor to OSX - BUT - NeXTStep and Linux definitely share predecessors - and OSX can be - and is - treated as a flavour of Linux, at least as far as compiling some binaries goes...).

I've been using Linux at work for years, mainly as a server product to try things out. Only reason I'm not using it on my desktop is that there doesn't seem to be an Exchange Client available for it, yet, and I can't get Outlook to run in any of the Windows Emus...

fdave posted on Mar 26 2005 at 11:58 AM said:
Jarska333 posted on Mar 26 2005 at 09:43 AM said:
Surely GP will not have enough juice/mhz to actually run anything?

Actually, maybe a wordpad. :p

So GP32 runs hundreds of Homebrew, emulators including NES, SMS, TG16, Megadrive titles... but it doesn't have the juice to run anything?

So it has enough juice to run everything already in existance for the GP32. Put it like this, say I have a game written for GP32, if I ported it to Pocket PC, in theory it would run the same speed.

The thing is, I still believe anything with MS in it, will automatically eat up ~99% of available resources, overhead I believe it is called, thus leaving me to believe that GPWinCE would be utterly unusable.
It does seem, I am wrong, for a change. :(

I'm a dev and work on Windows, Linux (Redhat/Suse), Solaris and Mac OSX. Out of all of these, Windows XP is the best, followed by OSX with Linux somewhere in the rear. Linux will never become a mainstream OS. It has to many issues to overcome. For example, linux is not even capable of presenting a consistent GUI to the user. Depending on which variant of Linux you have you may end up using GNOME, KDE or the standard X-Windows Manager. While these interfaces have come along way, they are still shite compared to windows.

If you want the functionality of unix with a decent GUI, you should buy a Mac. If you want an inconsistent GUI and only care about playing Quake, you should use Linux. If you want to build a kick-ass games machine with the latest nvidia hardware capable of running the latest DX9 games, there is only one OS to choose: Windows XP.

The project is abandoned now, FF is working on his DS emu I imagine... just for the linux vs window zealots: the gp32 CE build was/is a lot more usable that gp32 linux ;) and I've tried both...

The fact that linux gives you the option to run diffrent user interfaces is a huge plus in my book. I love the fact that it can be changed and there are so many to choose from. Linux can look just like windows if thats what your comfortable with and can do some pretty neat eye candy stuff if you have a decent machine and really like that. If you are running a crapy machine you can run stripped windows managers like fluxbox which will let you get the most from your hardware.
As for games I play world of war craft and halo2 on my linux machine and they work just fine. Another point is that an exchange alternative just is not there yet. There is open exchange and the horde framework which are ok but they really are not there. Evolution is a decent groupware client but that and the exchange alternatioves simply are not there yet.
Linux has it weak points as does windows and I will admit that it is not for every user but it is a good OS.

Yeah, Linux is and will probably remain the leader on the server side of things,which is alright because in the hands of someone who understands it it's rather good (and more stable than Windows). And I will say that the ability to use completely different GUIs was very cool, and compared to my Windows 2000 interface, KDE was freaking sweet.

But then I tried to upgrade to the latest version of KDE... and promptly had to re-installed Linux. I kind of got used to the command line installations in Linux, but obviously not enough. That's a major hurdle that has to overcome before Linux can ever gain any mainstream audience.. all processes must be almost automatic before any average computer user will even think about using it.

Yes, I know that Mac OSX is a Unix operating system, but that doesn't mean that there's much of anything else that's similar to the the Linux distros. OSX is very, very refined and simple for the user.

I'm not some crazy Microsoft fan or anything. It's just that their OS works well (enough) and is compatible with most everything. Linux was a fun thing to try out, but it was just far too volatile for me to use it as my OS for my computer (which I mainly use for school stuff and the internet).

trooper posted on Mar 26 2005 at 05:31 PM said:
Jarska333 posted on Mar 26 2005 at 05:52 PM said:
Workbench all the way.  B)

Yay!, I second that. :D

Trooper

If you're reffering to the Amiga WB, I'm with you too! It's a shame it died out the way it did, it could have gone really far.

christo930 posted on Mar 26 2005 at 08:49 PM said:
trooper posted on Mar 26 2005 at 05:31 PM said:
Jarska333 posted on Mar 26 2005 at 05:52 PM said:
Workbench all the way.  B)

Yay!, I second that. :D

Trooper

If you're reffering to the Amiga WB, I'm with you too! It's a shame it died out the way it did, it could have gone really far.

Amiga Workbench is not dead.

os4.gif

http://amigaos.dk/modules/bamagalerie3/vie...y=dateD&show=12

Trooper

Back