Windows Ce 5.0 Gp32

onionfrog posted on Mar 26 2005 at 12:17 AM said:
Windows is shite...

Yes it is. More and more people are getting linux so there are more and more programs being made for it. Pretty soon, windows will be obselete. It isn't nearly as good of an operating system as linux, it just has more support.
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
deadlychicken22 posted on Mar 26 2005 at 12:44 AM said:
Windows is shite...

Yes it is. More and more people are getting linux so there are more and more programs being made for it. Pretty soon, windows will be obselete. It isn't nearly as good of an operating system as linux, it just has more support.
Ben
LOL yeah right windows becoming obsolete? I'm not defending microsoft here but if anyone thinks Linux will take over the majority of computers, they're living in dream land. Last time I saw the stats, linux's popularity had slipped with the release of service pack 2. It has a huge amount of catching up to do, it's like 1% of all users use linux?.

I'd use linux if it played PC games but it does not, so there is no use of me using it.

OK, maybe not in the near future, but it will happen unless microsoft make a totally new OS that is much better than its predecesors. I, sadly, still have windows :( . I put linux on my other computer and it was really good and all of the programs for it are as good as windows programs (most of which you have to pay for!) Sadly, I couldn't get the wireless USB internet adapter to work because the drivers were written for windows :( . All linux needs is someone to make a much more user-friendly distro for people who aren't very technical.

I'm all for linux but it just doesn't have mainstream appeal. Most people wont have any idea how to use it.

BTW Windows Longhorn is coming out next year so I think it might seal the linux coffin shut.

Linux will always live on, even with longhorn because it has a very large support group which create their own distros of it for free

Longhorn will use "Trusted Computing"/"Treacherous Computing" and "Digital Rights Management"/"Digital Restrictions Management" :eek:

Bad stuff...

EDIT: Unfortunately for me, I am still on a Windows only setup. But when I get my other (better) computer back up, I will eventually get Linux on it. I will multiboot. :)

Shadow of Chaos posted on Mar 26 2005 at 12:27 AM said:
Onion frog obviously has no clue, he probably has an apple mac.. :rolleyes:
Actually I have windows... So I know first person about how much it sucks <_< :(

meh xp is usable, especially if you don't go online with the comp your using for playing single player games (like mine). Never have any problems

*sigh* Microsoft hating is so stupid.

While I agree that Windows XP is a rather poor operating system, it's more stable, more reliable, and more compatible than any linux distro. I battled with Linux for several months. Tons of re-installs later, I removed Linux and do not plan on installing it again. While I know that some people have dedicated months or years and can function 100% perfect in the OS, I don't want to dedicate that much time when I don't have to, and the general public would just curl up into a ball and cry.

The only viable competitor to Windows in Mac. I've never gotten extensive use on a Mac computer (minus the Apple II), but I have heard good things and believe it's accessible by the general public.

Microsoft's OS isn't perfect but show me one that is--Linux sure as heck is not.

Can't it be realeased without essential pieces so that everyone thac actually owns CE5 can upload their rom etc to the gp32 so that the prog would work??

Just like everybode that uses DRmd owns the roms that they upload to their GP?

And, Oh yeah, I think CE on the gp32 would rock! Every prog. is more than Welcome!

Windows is shite...
I doubt anything useful will come of that project..

Er, yeah, what a helpful attitude!

Actually as someone with A Clue(tm) I can say WinCE is quite a nice little OS. I say 'little' because they stripped a lot of the bulk out of Windows to make it. Don't get me wrong, it's still quite fat, but they did a good job.

Compared to Symbian, Windows CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2000/2002 are an absolute joy to program for. Plus the major advantage is that once you know the base SDK for normal Windows (ignoring MFC, ATL, DirectX, ActiveX and the like) the knowledge and in some cases even the code itself will carry backwards and forwards.

And as for whether anything useful will come out - er you'll be able to run WinCE on it. So stuff like GAPI could work maybe? And all those Pocket PC games on Handango could conceivably run? I guess because they are compiled for ARM and the GP32 runs ARM (you'd only have trouble if they were compiled for XScale maybe?)

Who knows - but who the hell are you to go dismissing a project out of hand, knowing apparently fuck all about it?

Back