Windows Based Next Gen Pandora?

but people are not moving to Linux

yes they are moving but i admit it mostly no gamer for example i nou of a class for people that are new to computers can take they get chosen what operating system to learn on Linux( urbuntu ) windows and OS X there were twice as much learning on linux than on windows
the fact is linux is getting more popular for the people than aren't not a much of a gamer and for no techsawy people
Sure you can tweak and sqweek Linux for support and maybe find a near comparable port to Linux, but a simple google search gives a plethora of superior emulator goodness under Windows XP: Project64, ePSXe, no$gba, even nullDC(awesomeness). Nothing even close in functionality as of September 2008 under the other OS's. Reality is reality even if we don't like it people. ;)

for n64 mupen64plus is for the most part Superior n64 emulator than Project64 even more so when mupen64plus 1.5 comes out
for nullDC as i understand linux port is on there Todo list

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
I think some of you are getting the wrong idea. For my part, I have no expectations that the next generation (or any future generation) of the Pandora will run Windows. Craig is solidly behind Linux and open source gaming, and you hardly need x86 or Windows for that.
Cool.

But an x86-based, WinXP-running gaming handheld is very nearly possible now. In a few years, the next gen Atom cores will be available in low power SoCs with DX9/10 compatible graphics cores. At that point, it won't take long for somebody to figure out the obvious.
As I said before, I don't know what the point is of handheld powered DX 9 and 10, when the focus of this scene would much rather have Win98 and DX5, or even DOS and proper drivers. Heck if I could get a GBA SP size device with the power of a Pentium 200mhz and Dos I would be so stoked.

I don't really understand the appeal of a pocket version of XP. Controls and screen are of utmost importance, maybe if heads up displays in 1280x720 become popular, and I learn to type on the half-moon palm keyboard I will be interested in computing on it. But handheld windows gaming doesn't make much sense to me, unless it is retro gaming.

Basically if it has the drivers and power for one generation of gaming (say 2004-2006), then it likely won't have enough power for the current generation or the next generation, and likely poor drivers and support for the previous generations, like the great games of the start of PC 3D accelerators, with the Voodoo and the TNT2 on Win95/98, or the DOS based games that require dos drivers and modes to be supported properly.

pyropandora said:
Cool, make a sorta thing like Windows for the PSP
Damn.... you are begging for a facepalm.

Not only is the pandora MILES more powerful than the PSP, but it runs linux, which is better than windows... and is getting more popular.

@rmm21, ever heard of WINE? I am pretty sure all of the emulaters you mentioned can run under it, not to mention the use of linux-specific alternative emulators.

the only thing windows is better for is super high spec gaming such as crysis, but most games now focus on lots and lots of graphics, and very poor gameplay.... which entirely defeats the purpose.

Back