Windows 98?

Windows 2000 is the best of both worlds. Its runs on low end hardware and has the stable kernel of windows XP and if you upgrade to sp4 pretty much all the bugs are ironed out now.
and bugger all works on it.

Have you seen the Vista min requirements? Nothing is going to be able to run with that on it! Fancy playing solitaire at 5fps?
Since when does nothing work on windows 2000?
Games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your not actully useing win 98 are you? If you are and cant afford/"get" win xp or a linux distro PM me and I will mail you a linux disto on cd/dvd if you want. People should not be botherd trying to bend backwards to support old obsileat hardware/software, sorry.

Doesn't Ubuntu Linux offer free CD's to anyone who submits a form requesting them?

I'd check for sure, but it seems www.ubuntu-linux.org is down right now.

-OCA|

They do (in fact I have a couple of 5.04 sets sitting on my desk right now if anyone wants one), but you have to order at least 10 and they take a long time to get to you. Mine took two months or something like that. It's a great distro, though. Definitely my favourite.

tneh XP is quite good in it's PRO version, and not much better than 98SE in it's family or home version , XP PRO is not heavier than 2k but you have to help it a little bit ;)

Actually the differences between XP Pro and XP Home are next to none. There's a limit on networking, it can't be on a domain like XP Pro can, you can't login to it remotely using Remote Desktop Connection. And these limits are totally artificial and can be removed with some careful registry hacking (though this can break Windows Update, so be warned). Seriously, they're almost identical.

Speaking of Microsoft and their OS's, I think they know they are doing bad. Saying windows is a complete failure, then they are mass advertising their OPERATING SYSTEM in many PC magaiznes now...
There is something wrong here, as they own probably 85% of the computer Operating systems share, and yet they still need to advertise????

Since when does nothing work on windows 2000?
Games.

Can you actually provide a list of games that work on xp but not 2k or are you just repeating some rumour you heard elsewhere?

Win2k only really had a problem with some games back when win98 was king and nobody was testing games on it.

win98 is still THE OS for dos/win gaming

P.S have onboard graphics card :(

Can you actually provide a list of games that work on xp but not 2k or are you just repeating some rumour you heard elsewhere?

Win2k only really had a problem with some games back when win98 was king and nobody was testing games on it.

I can personally say that a lot of games that were made for Windows 95 and Windows 98 have problems in 2000/XP. Not unplayable most of the time, but you'll have to put up with some pretty serious issues especailly when it comes to sound. I've had games crash repeatedly, have sound issues, and generally misbehave. Try playing Grim Fandango on Windows XP - you may get lucky. Or you may have no sound and crash exactly every five minutes.

I think it stems from the fact that games weren't tested on NT kernels back then. What's funny about that is Wine/Cedega have a tendancy to run those games better than Windows does.

-OCA|

Speaking of Microsoft and their OS's, I think they know they are doing bad. Saying windows is a complete failure, then they are mass advertising their OPERATING SYSTEM in many PC magaiznes now...
There is something wrong here, as they own probably 85% of the computer Operating systems share, and yet they still need to advertise????

They need to advertise because people aren't upgrading. There's a staggering amount of Windows 98 machines out there, and quite a few Win2K and WinME boxen, too. For a great many people, those OSes did everything they needed and nobody wants to shell out the money to upgrade if they don't have to. Security isn't a reason for them to upgrade, either, because none of those people would be able to secure an XP/Vista box either. People typically just use whatever their computer came with, and if their old computer is still going strong, they're not buying new computers. Without people buying new computers or boxed copies of the OS, MS isn't making money so therefore they have to advertise.

I think it stems from the fact that games weren't tested on NT kernels back then. What's funny about that is Wine/Cedega have a tendancy to run those games better than Windows does.

-OCA|

Speaking of which, System Shock 2 needed to be patched to run on XP. Does anyone know how well it runs with Wine/Cedega?

Back