Windows Xp Trouble Installing Device

bluejapo

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Been a long time since my last post as I have been enjoying some grweat service from my GP2X without any problems for many months, just got a new SD card for Xmas and wanted to load some stuff onto it via the GP2X and Windows XP has decided that it has problems installing the device.

In device manager it reads this device cannot start (Code 10)

Never happended before, my apologies if this has been covered before but I have already tried searching and haven't found anything that will help.

Any ideas anyone :(

bluejapo posted on Dec 27 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
Been a long time since my last post as I have been enjoying some grweat service from my GP2X without any problems for many months, just got a new SD card for Xmas and wanted to load some stuff onto it via the GP2X and Windows XP has decided that it has problems installing the device.

In device manager it reads this device cannot start (Code 10)

Never happended before, my apologies if this has been covered before but I have already tried searching and haven't found anything that will help.

Any ideas anyone :(

Try a card reader. GP2X can be moody. If a card reader still doesn't work, then I would suspect it's something to to with the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
jmetal88 posted on Dec 27 2006 at 10:30 PM said:
Try a card reader. GP2X can be moody. If a card reader still doesn't work, then I would suspect it's something to to with the card.

Have tried with my normal card and am still getting the smae message. I am aware from other people posting over the last twelve months that the GP2X can be a bit moody but my unit has always behaved. Its frustrating as I do not have a card reader.

There is a crazy app on the gp32spain.com site "usb monitor" that I ran, then attached my gp2x, and it suddenly worked, go try that. Should be under utilities.

I have found that (oddly) the cable was the issue for me. Out of all the big-to-small USB cables I own (about five) three caused similar errors to the ones you describe, stuff that bizarrely sounds more like a hardware problem. The supplied cable was one of these. The remaining cables work perfectly, completely reliably every time. Can't imagine why this is the case...

purple_goat posted on Dec 28 2006 at 01:08 PM said:
go to an electronics store bring about $20 get yourself a nice card reader and have fun ;)

You can get a card reader for $3 including shipping from ledshoppe.com, they work, I bought 4...

jmetal88 posted on Dec 27 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
actually its winblows thats moody, the gp2x adheres VERY strict to the usb mass storage specification, while microsoft does not.

Redeeman posted on Dec 28 2006 at 09:08 AM said:
jmetal88 posted on Dec 27 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
actually its winblows thats moody, the gp2x adheres VERY strict to the usb mass storage specification, while microsoft does not.

Hm, quite true really. It produces the same effect, though.

Also, it is true that the GP2X's cable can be quite moody, as it doesn't actually conform to USB 2.0 standards. At least it didn't with the Mk 1/ First Edition GP2Xs, I don't know how it does now. Whether or not it works in your USB 2.0 port is basically dumb luck. For a long time I had to disable USB 2.0 in Windows to be able to access my SD through my GP2X. After a while, it mysteriously started working as a USB 2.0 device, but at very low speeds for the standard.

Back