Windows 8 vs RT tablets

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
I must admit I'm really confused with MS strategy for tablets. Perhaps someone can shed some light. Why would someone buy a RT tablet over a Windows 8 tablet? Indeed, why has MS even developed and launched RT?

I don't get it, as a developer which would you develop for, surely for Windows 8. I just don't get this fragmented approach with RT.

Because there is a genuine worry that ARM might conceivably win out over x86, so MS needs an OS that runs on that platform to establish a presence. It's also a good excuse to "start over" with the walled garden approach that was missing from previous versions of Windows and gain some sort of control over what is able to run on their OS.

D.

As a consumer surely you would pick a windows 8 tablet over RT.

There is a mountain of apps you can run under 8 and virtually 0 for RT.

Plus , you can transfer your office or pc files to a win 8 tablet to continue working on. You can't do that on rt

One will win out, I'm thinking it will be windows 8.

On a side note, I must admit I hate the metro ui in 8/rt. those huge arse tiles , all with hard to distinguish icons and colors, just terrible.

It looks like a UI Fischer Price developed for 4-7 year olds

Last edited by a moderator:
AvFFxt7CQAAIZRT.jpg

As a consumer surely you would pick a windows 8 tablet over RT.

There is a mountain of apps you can run under 8 and virtually 0 for RT.

Plus , you can transfer your office or pc files to a win 8 tablet to continue working on. You can't do that on rt

One will win out, I'm thinking it will be windows 8.

That depends on which platform wins the most users. If the Win8 phone takes off (and there's no indication that it will, but we might be suprised) then Win8 RT will run the same apps as the phone, and Windows8 x86 will not. If the phone takes off, then a large installed userbase will mean more developers hoping to sell apps, and RT will become very popular.

If Windows8 is the dominant platform and the RT-based phones and tablets fail then yes, Win8 will be the platform to develop for.

D.

Back