Windows 3.1 native resolution?

Blue Protoman

Title. Used Winbox, got Windows 3.1 and that S3 patch, and I managed to install Windows 3.1 on my Pandora. Problem is, it's not at 800x480, only 640x480. Is there a way to set it to the Pandora's resolution (preferably without reinstalling the whole damned thing)?

While not an expert, I seem to remember that being the regular size. I loaded it up in Virtualbox on my laptop and that seems to be the only size option. So I'm thinking someone would have to re-write something to stretch the display unless you can find other hacks. Seems to me there was some hack for Virtualbox to make the screen more like 1024x768 but it seemed to be more complicated than I was interested in and of course that wouldn't be applicable here. I only mention as maybe then it is a possibility.

I know for fact it's possible to do it at the Pandora's resolution; ED had a video on it. Someone else has a video tutorial, but it's a blurry and incomprehensible mess.

I have a new avatar for you, Blue:

50275_212640232710_6659549_n.jpg

Help will come. In the meantime, have you read the Discussion Thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
i never even started winbox on my pandy yet, so i cant say for sure, but if you can run it in windowed mode, then you should be able to stretch it to fullscreen with the little button at the top left (there should be a fullscreen option in here).

i never even started winbox on my pandy yet, so i cant say for sure, but if you can run it in windowed mode, then you should be able to stretch it to fullscreen with the little button at the top left (there should be a fullscreen option in here).
It's a bit more difficult than that, simply because what you're emulating is an entire OS, rather than an application. I do believe there is a solution in the thread I mentioned above, though.

doesnt matter what your emulating, if its rendered to an overlay or using sdl, the window manager can stretch it up without the application even knowing about it. the resolution would still be 640x480 tho, just that it would be stretched up to 800x480 (assuming the windowed mode exist).

I don't think we're on the same page. In ED's video, Windows itself was running at 800x480. Not at less than that but stretched, Honest-to-God at the Pandora's resolution.

I see what you did there.

Seriously though, did that thread have what you wanted, Blue?

I might take a look at this over the next day or 2 see if I can get it running fullscreen. Have you got a link to the patched s3 driver? I think I downloaded it when the whole native resolution thing was first brought up, but it'd be easier to download it again than search my HDD's. This surely can't be that hard....

I might take a look at this over the next day or 2 see if I can get it running fullscreen. Have you got a link to the patched s3 driver? I think I downloaded it when the whole native resolution thing was first brought up, but it'd be easier to download it again than search my HDD's. This surely can't be that hard....

The emulator, S3 installer, and modified MOUSE.DRV are all here, first post. Don't install the MOUSE.DRV until after you install the rest of the operating system.

I haven't got around to installing this... but I do remember he hacked together a custom gfx driver to get the full resolution so it's possible and all the tools should be in that thread...

Back