Wind And Water Via Ginge (Help Needed)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I thought it would be a good idea packing some games with GINGE to make life for a common Caanoo user easier :)

I started with Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles, and it works perfectly!

You can download it here.

However, I've got a small problem I couldn't solve...
No game I wrapped up yet shows up as GAME on the Caanoo.
The only way to run them is using the EXPLORER.

Now, I checked and rechecked and couldn't find out what I'm doing wrong here.

Could someone please check the file and tell me why it's not appearing in GAMES?

Thanks.

It is because GPH screwed up the launcher a little. The folder name must be the same as the ini filename without the extension, i believe. It is quite annoying because it means you cannot make e.g. different launch scripts for your game and have them show up in the launcher.

/Uni

u9i said:
It is because GPH screwed up the launcher a little. The folder name must be the same as the ini filename without the extension, i believe. It is quite annoying because it means you cannot make e.g. different launch scripts for your game and have them show up in the launcher.

/Uni
I was just about to post that ;)

As soon as the ini was named to wnw it worked perfectly and shows up in the game folder
Whats weird is that I never thought to put ginge in the folder. If I do this from now on I wont have to edit the script to cd to the ginge directory Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, cool, thanks :)

Then I an start to wrap some GP2X and WIZ games and emulators for the Caanoo, easily usable for everyone :D

Hey,
thanks that you will do that for us. :)
Tell me what games and emulators you will make and I can make some icons and titlebars in the style of Ajack's collection.

qbertaddict said:
...Whats weird is that I never thought to put ginge in the folder. If I do this from now on I wont have to edit the script to cd to the ginge directory Thanks! :)

Me too. I've Ginge installed in the apps folder, not inside the game's folder... And I don't like to have it installed 24 times. But it's a nice idea to have it packed together, like one game, e.g for the beginners or the ones who don't want to set ginge and all those startup scripts. And this way you'll never realise that you are running it with ginge. :D

lenrlad

lenrlad said:
Hey,
thanks that you will do that for us. :)
Tell me what games and emulators you will make and I can make some icons and titlebars in the style of Ajack's collection.

Well, everything that's not ported on the Caanoo yet and works well with Ginge :)
And where the license doesn't prohibit this.

qbertaddict said:
...Whats weird is that I never thought to put ginge in the folder. If I do this from now on I wont have to edit the script to cd to the ginge directory Thanks! :)
Me too. I've Ginge installed in the apps folder, not inside the game's folder... And I don't like to have it installed 24 times. But it's a nice idea to have it packed together, like one game, e.g for the beginners or the ones who don't want to set ginge and all those startup scripts. And this way you'll never realise that you are running it with ginge. :D
lenrlad
[/quote]

Yep, especially as Ginge doesn't need much space, only the gp2xmenu does, but you don't need that here :)

Last edited:
If you'd rather not install Ginge a lot, perhaps you could...
1) Place the Ginge folder in the Apps folder, for example.
2) Make a simple folder 'windandwater', for example, that doesn't have the actual game, but just is a folder with a script in it.
3) Run the script inside the 'fake' folder.
4) Back out of the folder and run the actual script - this way Ginge could be in its own folder, and all Ginge-capable games would share it (like the bgd-runtime with BennuGD games).

SolarLune said:
2) Make a simple folder 'windandwater', for example, that doesn't have the actual game, but just is a folder with a script in it.
4) Back out of the folder and run the actual script - this way Ginge could be in its own folder, and all Ginge-capable games would share it (like the bgd-runtime with BennuGD games).
Hey,
that's how I did it. :p
Code:
How to Ginge-ifiy old GP2X/WIZ games:
By Traylorpark, rewritten by Lenrlad

1. Create a folder in the 'game' folder on your SD named like your game. (e.g. ginge-cavestory)
2. Create a file named like your folder (ginge-cavestory.ini for example above) and insert the following:

/---ginge-cavestory.ini-----------------------------------------------------------------
[info]
name="GINGE: CAVE STORY"			// Name of your game
path="/ginge-cavestory/startup.gpe"		// Path to the startup.gpe (look at step 3)
icon="/ginge-cavestory/cavestory.png"		// Path to the icon
title="/ginge-cavestory/cavestorytitle.png"	// Path to the title
group="GAME"					// Group of this file (should be GAME)
/---ginge-cavestory.ini-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Create a file named 'startup.gpe' inside the game's directory (ginge-cavestory). This should be the one,
   you put into the .ini at step 2.
4. Insert the following lines into it:

/---startup.gpe-------------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh						// shebang line

/mnt/sd/apps/ginge/ginge_prep --nomenu ./doukutsu.gpe	// Points to the location, where you installed ginge and
							// to the game's .gpe (should be inside the current location)
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu					// code to start caanoo's menu after exiting
/---startup.gpe-------------------------------------------------------------------------
source: Caanoo Skin Pack readme.txt
And it works great for only one installation of Ginge.

lenrlad

SolarLune said:

I know, but I want to make those games more easily installable without having to worry about any runtime needed :)

EDIT: D'Oh! Just saw that Ginge needs 6MB for Libraries... so yeah, having the games setup that they work with Ginge seperatedly makes absolutely sense!

Will set the games up like this.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
EDIT: D'Oh! Just saw that Ginge needs 6MB for Libraries... so yeah, having the games setup that they work with Ginge seperatedly makes absolutely sense!
Only for dynamically linked games though (you can run 'file example.gpe' to find out if it static/dynamic).
And yeah those libraries are not needed in Wiz since they are close to ones on GP2X, but have to be dragged along on Caanoo and pandora so that dynamically linked games work. You can cherry-pick the libs too as many games only need a few of them, not all.

lenrlad said:
Hey,
Code:
---great stuff--

lenrlad
First of all: Thank you for that!

This may be somewhat complicated, but using your method tv-out does not work correctly(tested with cavestory). But if I start it through ginge it does work...any ideas?

redblock said:
lenrlad said:
Hey,
Code:
---great stuff--

lenrlad
First of all: Thank you for that!

This may be somewhat complicated, but using your method tv-out does not work correctly(tested with cavestory). But if I start it through ginge it does work...any ideas?

I asked notaz about this as well and this is the response he gave me.

The menu uses SDL and that probably sets up TV output. Ginge itself doesn't use SDL as that would make it slow, and it also doesn't set up the TV out (as I don't know how it's to be done). Some research needs to be done about what GPH SDL does, but I did not have time for that.

So Im sure it will be fixed when he gets time to look into it.

Back